Status
Please reply by conversation.

TRG

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 19, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
Just when I thought my motor problems were solved....

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/138086-faux-motor-backlash-problem-solved.html

....I find something else. It appears that my motor drives to a different position depending on which direction the motor is driving. For example, today I noticed that Russia Today on 97W would register a Q of 65 when coming from the west to east. But when driving from east to west the Q was 50. At first I thought it was my Viewsat VSPRO because the motor control on it is not the best. So I hooked up the Fortec Star M2 and had virtually the same results. A motor reset did not fix the problem. I’m using USALS.

If that wasn’t enough half of my Ivacom quad shorted out this weekend. It just died while watching a program on 87W. Now only one L/C pair work.

AARRGGHH!! :mad:

My old motor had similar problems... that issue with the not landing on the right bird had to do with my old sg2100's bolt on the arm holding the dish either being too tight or not tight enough... anyways, about a month or two after my similar issues like that happened, the motor finally went completely dead and I needed a new one. My problems mainly stemmed from me using testosterone driven strength to overtighten a few bolts while being pissed off at the dish not working properly as I sat on the hot roof in the summer sun fiddling with the equipment that I was a complete newbie at. After I ordered a new motor and set it all up right, things have been great ever since.

In the end, just remember how much money you'll be saving vs a subscription over time. Also, remember to work in the morning or evening if you have to sit on the roof.... actually some folks prefer to tweak dishes after the sun goes down.

IMO its got a LOT to do with slop in your dish mount, especially if one is using a homebrewed mount ( as I do with the P* dishes) . If you pay attention, you can SEE the flex in the mounts sometimes, even with dishes MADE for mating to a motor. I have seen it myself. One of my P* dishes will never hit the same place twice no matter what I do...but I KNOW what to do so its no big deal and just move on.:D

IMO its got a LOT to do with slop in your dish mount, especially if one is using a homebrewed mount ( as I do with the P* dishes) . If you pay attention, you can SEE the flex in the mounts sometimes, even with dishes MADE for mating to a motor. I have seen it myself. One of my P* dishes will never hit the same place twice no matter what I do...but I KNOW what to do so its no big deal and just move on.:D

No, the mount is solid and there is no backlash in the motor. This is a control problem. I have removed ALL mechanical possibilities (I think). Read the thread I linked to.

My old motor had similar problems... that issue with the not landing on the right bird had to do with my old sg2100's bolt on the arm holding the dish either being too tight or not tight enough... anyways, about a month or two after my similar issues like that happened, the motor finally went completely dead and I needed a new one. My problems mainly stemmed from me using testosterone driven strength to overtighten a few bolts while being pissed off at the dish not working properly as I sat on the hot roof in the summer sun fiddling with the equipment that I was a complete newbie at. After I ordered a new motor and set it all up right, things have been great ever since.

In the end, just remember how much money you'll be saving vs a subscription over time. Also, remember to work in the morning or evening if you have to sit on the roof.... actually some folks prefer to tweak dishes after the sun goes down.

I think a new motor is in my future as well.

As for working up on the roof in the hot sun... I live in New Mexico; trust me I know all about working in the morning and evenings. ;)

No, the mount is solid and there is no backlash in the motor. This is a control problem. I have removed ALL mechanical possibilities (I think). Read the thread I linked to.

I wasn't talking about YOU in your present circumstance, sorry I didn't make that more clear, I ramble sometimes. :eek:

(my fingers work faster than my brain);)

Just that everything in the chain CAN be suspect. Pole, dish, AND motor. A little in the motor, a little in the dish mount, a little in the pole flex and it can lead up to lots of gray hairs. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts