motor setup questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks Sadoun, I think its a good motor, I also knew setting one up for the first time would be a learning experience. Got it tracking right finally today, after some of this rotten crazy weather let up, my north/south was off, elevation slightly off. I think I'm going to rest awhile before any more adjustments ,haha.

the thread that just won't die

After another night of storms and power outages, I worked on the DG380 some more today, I think I'm so close to "just right" but not quite there yet. I can track from 74 down to 129 now after some alterations to my mount that wasn't seating tightly.
But>I'm only getting half the transponders on most sats, the first time I've seen one do that. I can hit Russia today on 97, but nothing on the v-side. Can get the Research channel on 123, but no equity stations. Get Montana PBS but no V tps, etc. Getting White Springs but its only showing about 27% signal, I had it in the 70's once or twice. Pusing down slightly on dish makes it stronger, Im thinking the motor elevation isn't quite there yet. * It's hard to figure out what to use on this 380 to pinpoint what the real elevation is. There is a tiny raised mark on the scale that might be the indicator but it is a tiny increment away from the edge of the metal part that slides up and down. Use the edge? or the little raised thing?

No its not colored at all, just the metal finish. I think I figured that part out just now, took my flashlight and went back out to see where it was set, and its very close to 34 (all the pointer-sites say 33.88 for me). The angle of the dish is what is off now, I think I finally found the right surface to check THAT on, and it was about 25-26 where it should be 29.5. (weird how I can see stuff in the night better than in the daytime). Using this 84e's crappy mount upside down complicates this unnecessarily too, it tends to pull and twist as you tighten up the 4 bolts holding the elevation adjusment. Ok for fixed dish and right side up I guess lol.

Don't worry too much about what the Dish elevation is set to, just peak the Signal.
If you have to adjust the Motor Lat setting, just readjust the Dish Elevation back to peak signal.

Thanks Lak, I read a lot tonite, esp long thread about primestars and motors frm a couple of yrs back. Those 2 sentences seem to jive with what others found. I'll hopefully get a chance to work on it some more Tues .

It's hard to figure out what to use on this 380 to pinpoint what the real elevation is. There is a tiny raised mark on the scale that might be the indicator but it is a tiny increment away from the edge of the metal part that slides up and down. Use the edge? or the little raised thing?

Turbosat,

I have two versions of the PowerTech motors, the DG-280B and the DG-380.

I am detecting a very good track of the arc when I use the little embossed or raised pointer (it matches my site's latitude) but it is a little hard to read where it is pointing to. The seam between the two halves of the motor housing appears to be + 1.0 degree off from this pointer and is a little easier to read in my opinion.

My site latitude is 41.6N and the seam in the case of the motor is aligned with 42.6 degrees on the scale of the motor bracket.

Judging the 0.6 decimal alignment is of course quite a vague notion. Is it really 0.6 deg or is is 0.5 or 0.7 degrees? The scale isn't marked off in that fine of resolution, so I am just using a bit of personal judgement there.

RADAR

I'm only getting half the transponders on most sats, the first time I've seen one do that. I can hit Russia today on 97, but nothing on the v-side. Can get the Research channel on 123, but no equity stations. Get Montana PBS but no V tps, etc.

Turbosat,

Your receiver is different than mine, but I would like to describe a problem I had with one of my Coolsat 5000 receivers so that you may have some additional ideas of things to check regarding the V and H TP reception.

I had one Coolsat receiver at my cabin and one night, a few days after an electrical storm, I came to the cabin to find the receiver totally dead. I did some troubleshooting and found IC51 blown apart, or should I say blown away! This IC is a programmable voltage reference/regulator. I found a replacement for this IC from Future Electronics in Overland Park, KS.

However, there was more damage than just this one IC and I couldn't locate all the parts I needed.

I went to E-Bay and found a used Coolsat 5000 for a dirt cheap price. I bought it so that I could hopefully either salvage the P.S. to repair my own unit or replace it entirely.

I hooked this new used receiver up to verify if it was a junk item or if at least the P.S. was in tact and operational.

It fired up just fine and after setting my own parameters to match my switches and motor setup, I was able to scan for channels. Not deeming it necessary to repair the blown receiver, I just continued to use this used one.

A few days later, I noticed that I wasn't receiving any signal from the vertical transponders.

I had fabricated a little tap jig so that I could insert my voltmeter or ammeter in-line to check the receiver output voltage or current to set the backlash adjustment on my motor. I connected my voltmeter to this tap and found that, even when I was selecting a vertical polarity signal, the output of the receiver was at 22 to 23 volts! When I checked my good receiver, it was reading 12.8 to 13.6 volts for a vertical TP and 17.6 to 18.4 volts for a horizontal TP.

If I turned the receiver OFF and allowed it to cool to room temperature, it would be fine.

I ended up swapping the P.S. from this unit into my original unit and fortunately, the mother board in my original receiver was still ok, and has been working fine ever since. That was about three or four years ago I guess. So the P.S. in my original unit and the mother board in the one I got off E-Bay were bad, but I was able to make one functional unit by robbing parts from one or the other.

This was a unique situation as normally you would have some cable problem which resulted in a low voltage condition at the LNBF. This low voltage would create the scenario where you wouldn't be able to switch the LNBF to the horizontal transponders, which require ~18 volts. My receiver's output voltage went to 23 volts and would not change to 13 volts.

I wouldn't expect this to be your problem, I think it was a rare case. However, I thought you would appreciate the story for future reference and maybe, as a long shot, you could check this.

RADAR

Thanks Radar the little pointer thing is small and I wasn't sure if it was really a pointer or just an imperfection on the metal. Trial and error has gotten my pretty close to it now, if I can just get a couple of hours when its not raining I hope to have it perfected. This digital stuff is so precise!! Its either there or it's not lol.

I DID IT!

Finally, I have my DG380 installed and working, only took about 2hours today, after a lot of studying last night. I discarded the 84E Primestar, and went to work on a .90m Primestar I had been using as a fixed dish. (NO I didnt discard it, just took it out of the equation-I'll use it for something else!).
With some bracket metal and muffler clamps, conduit hangers , bolts and a hacksaw, I had it working fairly well. Getting that declination adjustment built-in was the only slow-down, but I didn't need much declination anyway. I can get the weak shopping channel on AMC6, and WhiteSprings too, I'm glad it's done, except for some minor tweaking of the tracking. *Can't get all the tps on AMC1 ku, but I can get RTN. Can't get the 'news channel' on 93-you know the one-but I can get it outside on the test rig. Which means I lose something in the 100' or so of cable. Going for new cable tomorrow, the local Marvins Building Supply had sold out. But they didn't sell spools, only by the foot, AT 39CENTS A FOOT.
Sorry for the crummy photo , I was moving the camera it appears. That's a 2 1/4" muffler clamp on the top holding the dish to the tube, and a 2" conduit hanger at the bottom for the dec adjustment. Seems to be gripping tight, which was the problem with my first attempt with the elliptical dish and primestar mount-upside-down.
Many thanks for the help, everybody, and for posting those pics that gave me the solution to building my own bracket!

Attachments

• img_0002c.jpg
    img_0002c.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Thanks Starman! If it hadn't been for the wealth of ideas others have posted here, I doubt I would've ever thought of it.

Nice looking setup, turbo, glad you got it going. I think you'll really like that 380 once you get it tweaked in totally.

When I setup my 3ABN .9m and 380 it was so easy I couldn't believe it, that was the first time I ever set one up and it's going on a year now, hasn't been touched.

Yep I find its a little weak on some sats, and one polarity or the other on other sats. Hard to figure out just yet, but I will. Seems to be peaked at AMC16, which is good because it is nearest my true south, the color bars are screaming there. But strength seems to fall off by 97 or 99 going west. So I'm almost done with it, I hope.

I wonder too lol. Thanks Sadoun, that is one tough motor. The next one should be cake since this one took me a week to aim ! Weather wasn't good for most of that time though. You should add "quiet as a mouse" to your adverts for the DG380. I was about 15' away with my test setup, and could barely hear it, in fact I had to turn sev times and be sure it was actually moving ,haha.

You should add "quiet as a mouse" to your adverts for the DG380.

Great suggestion. It happened to me the other day. I was moving the 120cm dish outside of our showroom using the button on the DG380 and the thing was so quit, I was wondering if it was moving. The dish was indeed moving, but I was pleasantly surprised how quite it was. I have not touched the motor outside for over a year. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)