Motor thoughts

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
So, regarding motors, After I have my true south sat, then it will know where to go to get to the other sats? And, I assume you can "tweak" if needed each sat's position?

depends... with USALS so I hear, you give it info such as your latitude and longitude and then when you tell it to go to a particular degree location it figures out how far to move.

With DiSEqC (what I have) you find the satellite you're looking for by selecting what you know is a good transponder then telling the receiver to move the dish east or west as appropriate till you get signal. you can "bump" east or west in small increments to find the strongest signal, then you push a button to store the location. Next time you tell the motor to go to that satellite it remembers where it was.

USALS is by far easier to use... that's what I use. You just find the southern satellite in your receiver, tune in a good strong tp, and then once you tweak signal on that one bird, all the others should be easy to find just by changing to those satellites in the receiver and telling it to turn usals on and move there. Once you find the southern most satellite with the motor, the rest is easy. Just be sure you have the right angle on the motor and mount, the right port on the switch picked, and the right tp picked when looking at first. Finding the first satellite is a big hassle, but after that it's a piece of cake.

In USALS you just give the reciever your longitude, lattitude, and the degrees west or east that the satellite is that you are tuning in to. Assuming you have zero set at the southern bird off you go...

JUST BE CAREFUL when setting up the first bird to MAKE SURE you do not change the degrees on the motor before you find your first satellite. Actually, you should probably do like I did and set up the coax to go straight to the lnb at first and bypass the motor all the way til you get the southern bird tuned in. Otherwise, if you hit the wrong button on the reciver you could end up accidentally moving the motor to another degree other than zero which will throw off your arc.

I use Diseqc 1.2 because I can "nudge" :)

It works pretty snifty. Move motor to satellite and store it. The when you change channels, it will move automatically

Agreed DiSEqC 1.2 is the way to go for exact positions!

I use mainly USALS but no matter what receiver I use I have to setup the satellites at the far east and west of my arc using DiSEqC 1.2

The NEAT thing about the Traxis DBS 3500 is you can nudge even when using USALS!

Thanks for all the tips! I think I am going to look for a spot that is closer to the ground, and put a 4x4 post into concrete and mount the dish/motor there. Maybe about 3-4 feet off the ground so that I can easily get to it. I hope to get the motor ordered within the next week or so :)

Does anyone have any recommendations on the following motor: Moteck SG2100 - Sadoun has them for $64.99 if you pre order them - available July 10th. This is about $25 less than a Stab 90. Any thoughts? TIA!

The SG2100 is a good motor. I have a Moteck and it isnt bad. It's my secondary motor (and right now its down because I have to replace the bolts for it) :D

Thanks for the tips! I saw that motor listed, and IF I can wait that long, it would save me a few bucks (I sepent too much on the swim pool) :) I think I am going to put a post in the ground with concrete and month the dish about 3-4' off the ground so that I don't have to climb up on the shed roof to work with it :)

Last edited:
Iceberg said:
The SG2100 is a good motor. I have a Moteck and it isnt bad. It's my secondary motor (and right now its down because I have to replace the bolts for it) :D

Which motor holds up best for the extreme weather that you have?

Thanks! Our weather is close, but thankfully you do have worse winters than us :) Got the "ok" for the motor, but feel kinda guilty :-( I might just go ahead and place the order tonight though :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)