Motor..?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AndyCYXU

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Excuse my ignorance, I am still new to all of it.. does motor control all the values Azimuth/elevation/skew.. ? or just azimuth..

if i got a motor do i still have to go out and adjust elevation for other satellites.. it doesn't make sense to me that it would be so..

does anyone have a good recommendation for a motor.. for 39" dish

Thanks

The motor tracks both azimuth and elevation. The motor mount is tilted back and set to your latitude angle. The motor post has a bend which when combined with the motor mount offset and the dish angle setting allows for elevation tracking as the motor swings East and West.

In USALS mode the receiver calculates the correct motor setting and moves the motor to that angle. In DiSEqC mode, each satellite position needs to be found and stored in the motor's indexed memory for recall by the receiver.

We could recommend a good motor ...... LOL!!!! .....but the forum members will not steer you wrong!

Thanks, it was kinda silly question :confused:.. i get it now how it works :eureka .. thanks for reply

Andy

Andy, I bet you just helped out several others here who were wondering the same thing but were hesitant to ask. You just asked a very logical question. About SatelliteAV, I've bought from them, they are a class act.
What is the brand of your 39" dish?

skew, too

If you had a fixed dish on a pole or mast , without a motor . . .
And you aimed at a western satellite low on the horizon, then a southern satellite high in the sky, and then an eastern bird low on the other horizon...
... you'd be changing azimuth, elevation, and skew for all three.
Skew is where you twist the LNB in its mount.

As mentioned above, the motor takes care of azimuth (east/west), and elevation.
Well, the clever geometry of the motor/dish combination, actually changes the effective skew for you, too.!
It's a complete solution to the problem. - :up

What is the brand of your 39" dish?

I really do not know, it doesn't say nothing on dish I just bought from guys who sold me receiver so it's a NoName dish.. :rolleyes:

One thing is this dish is not perfect circle it's little bit like an egg.. Is it a problem.. and the gauge for elevation ain't too good either should be 39deg for G25 yet if i was to read my gauge it's more like 25, no obvious indicator on what to look for as a marker to set elevation.

Dish is approx 36"-38" x 38"-40" like I said not a perfect circle maybe it's a crappy dish.. any advice.. I know very little about this stuff that is why i was interested in advice on motor to buy I was thinking SG2100 or HHS.

I am interested in ease of set up accuracy and end user opinions.. when you read the info where you buy the dish .. well one is better then the other.. but from end user perspective I was wondering what would someone recommend.. also notices something like azimuth change from +/- 65 deg while other has +/- 75 deg.. but then also then there is elevation limit so far i noticed that SG2100 might be best choice..

I dunno
Thanks Andy

The reason I asked the brand is because some of them will fit on a 42mm post or motor shaft and others, especially the bigger ones, need something bigger. I have a Winegard 1 meter, which takes a 55mm shaft. It sounds like your dish isn't a winegard by the measurements you quoted. A lot of the dishes are off-set or egg shape, that isn't a problem.
Stab makes motors, AVsatellite sells a GS120, then there are the SG-2100 motors, there are others but I think those are the most common. I like the SG-2100, it has a wide arc range, is fast moving compared to the Stabs, and they are affordable.

OK i got me a new motor SG2100, have it set up and all.. I only hope my elevation on dish scale is pretty good should be 23 well let's hope it is.... will see... now i think my nearest satellite is NIMIQ2 82W

as I am at 43N 81W

now from a post "NEED A STRONG TRANSPONDER" I read that this satellite requires some DBS LNB.. I have a standard linear LNB.. can I still use this Satellite to set up the motor..? or should i try AMC5 OR AMC9 which I believe are next to it...

Thanks

A trick you can do is set the dish angle and motor angle exactly to what the documents say, then using the USALS motor control within the receiver, tell the dish to go to a satellites - say AMC5, then you just have to turn the motor (and dish) on the pole until you see signal on AMC5 or whatever bird you wanted. (I hope I explained that right)

Or you can use the blind-scan function of your receiver to try see what you can find on the 82 satellite. I've occasionally got signal from 82, just a few transponders, but they're scrambled of course, but at least I knew that I was pointed at 82.

I'd try the trick of setting the angles to what you think they should be, then tell the receiver to move to AMC5, then move the whole dish and motor until you see the AMC5 signal.

I agree with Davage, as long as your receiver can do USALS (nearly all of them can), use USALS to move the motor to a satellite near your true south (79 is a good choice, NYN is there) and then peak your dish/motor assembly.

I will try those , Thanks..
My biggest problem is elevation gauge on my dish which is off, but i am not sure by how much it's off...

again thanks for your help..

nice sunny day today in London and not too cold should help :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)