MOTOR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
There is a reasonably good probability that I will receive a 1.2M Prodelin dish next week. If you were going to put a motor on such a unit, which one would you buy and from where?

That's a big dish, Normally, I'd recommend the DG-380 from Sadoun, which I have on my 1M dish, and had another on a Fortec 1.2M dish, but for the Prodelin I'd try for a STAB HH-120 . Sadly, although Sadoun once carried them, he doesn't now, so I can't recommend a dealer. :)

I've been pleased with my DG380 from Sadoun. It's been running fine with the 90cm primestar , seems like 18months or so since I got it. No problems so far. And it seems well built, so I wouldn't hesitate to stick a 1.2 dish on there if it wasn't over 31-32lbs. But I don't have one that big to try. Correction: just found the receipt for it, April 3, 2009, so its over 2yrs now!
To be safe, try to trim any excess metal off your new dish, mount it with one of the methods we have posted here on the forum, make your own "attachment bracketry" and drop the heavy mount that will likely come on the dish. If you need to see my setup, I'll try to find the photos.

This is the dish Ted is coming after. I may have some mounts from lighter dishes that might make a good mod to lighten things up. These Prodlin dishes are heavy commercial dishes intended to point in one place and never move.If you strip some of the heavy mounting off I think it can be motorized ok.

10-31-10_1212.jpg

RT, that dish is VERY heavy. I made a light mount for mine, and my sg2100 still would NOT move it without me helping. Here's what I made to interface it with the Motor, used 3/32 thickness, 3/4 inch angle iron with a directv slimline mount foot, ended up adding about 5 pounds to the dish, but it was all still too heavy. so I scrapped it. :mad:

( the mount, not the dish...LOL...the dish is now fixed on amc 1)

12adaptor1.jpg

12Groundside.jpg

12mountside.jpg

12mount.jpg

12mountdetail.jpg

I think I would think about adapting it to a polar mount, if I couldn't find a bigger motor. :)

Last edited:
RT, that dish is VERY heavy. I made a light mount for mine, and my sg2100 still would NOT move it without me helping. Here's what I made to interface it with the Motor, used 3/32 thickness, 3/4 inch angle iron with a directv slimline mount foot, ended up adding about 5 pounds to the dish, but it was all still too heavy. so I scrapped it. :mad:

( the mount, not the dish...LOL...the dish is now fixed on amc 1)

I think I would think about adapting it to a polar mount, if I couldn't find a bigger motor. :)
Fantastic pics of the dish! I wish I had your sunshine and heat. Since I had the ground covered last night with #$%#@# snow, I may have all winter to decide what to do: motor or no motor.

Looked at the info on that one. Looked good.

Thanks guys for the interesting info.:)

P.S. Anyone try Sadoun dot com recently. I did yesterday and just now and I get a "test" page. Must be something wrong at their site.

Last edited:
Indeed that is correct. :) Last week , when trying to log into the Sadoun forums, I ran into a "hack" message, so his site has been compromised. I expect they're rebuilding it now.
I gave Sadoun a call and the gal that answered stated she was not having any problem. Sounds like they are hiding the problem.
I also looked over the STAB HH-120, interesting.
Very hard to find a downloadable manual. Anyone have any info on locating one?

RT

I agree with Mikey11, the SG-9120 (not the 'B' model, the original model) might have an easier time with this dish. The problem is that the dish is made of very thick fiberglass, and is heavier than most in its class.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)