Motorised setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ftajjyohn

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Hello everyone,
this is a GREAT forum for FTA and i thought I would ask my question here (as i have in the past as well.) I was wondering how i would go having my motorised dish be shared to two receivers. Although I have a feeling this isn't possible because one of them would have to drive the motor. and if its too much to ask. only one line going into my house. Would it be like

lnbf (both outputs) --> 22khz --> diseqc port 1 -->
then i have no idea what to do there.. maybe
receiver -> if loop through -> receiver?
would i be able to get H if the first receiver was on V?

or maybe
lnbf output 1 -> diseqc port 1 AND lnbf output 2 -> diseqc port 2 then diseqc -> receiver -> if loop through -> receiver?
or would i not be able to receive different diseqc?

i saw some splitters that are power passing on both outputs but then how would the motor get its power? i dont think that would work.

ok then this is probably where i'll mess up. i want to try using my houses existing cabling to send the satellite through (it has cable on it). the two receivers i would like to hook up will be in completely different rooms. the satellite cable comes in at one corner of my house while cable comes in at a complete opposite end.

how would i go doing this? im assuming with diplexers but I'm not quite sure how..

will i need two diplexers at the room that my satellite cable is coming in from? will i need diplexers only where there are receivers?

so sorry for how complex this may be.. I know this wasnt going to be easy when i thought of doing this.

i appreciate any help i can get!

If you only want to use one receiver at a time, you might be able to use IF loopthru. I'm not sure if the motor signals would pass through unmolested though. You may just have to try it. I've got a Pansat 3500, a Viewsat and a Sonicview here all hooked up to one Invacom LNB using loopthru and they work fine. No Motor though. The manuals don't address using a motor through the loop either. maybe someone else has done it?

Just remembered, Channelmaster makes a device that looks like a splitter, but has isolation diodes in it so that the two receivers won't see each other. I've used them in commercial fixed dish installations and they work, but again -not sure about the motor signaling, no experience with that.

Good Luck, Eric

Last edited:
Two receivers, one motorized dish

I was curious about this setup also, so I just tried it now.

I have one motorized dish running to one receiver, and then took the Loop Out from the back of that receiver and ran it into another receiver.

Then I turned them both on and set them to the same satellite. This worked fine, I was able to pick different channels off the same satellite at the same time (even from different transponders...as long as they were on the same satellite it worked fine).

When I tried to move to another satellite with one of the receivers, sometimes nothing happened, other times the dish actually did move, but when it got to that satellite, the other receiver triggered the motor to move back...and this tug-of-war would repeat over and over (maybe a good way to burn out a motor?)

However, if I put one of the receivers on stand-by, then I could move the dish to another satellite without difficulty. This worked with either receiver: as long as one of them was on standby, the other receiver could control the motor.

Then after moving to another satellite, I put the current receiver on standby and took the other one off standby. Initially, there was no signal, since the dish was pointing at the wrong satellite. But if I just selected the channel again (or picked another one), that triggered the motor to move back to the satellite it had been on, and it did so.

So...it is possible to have two receivers with a motorized dish, you just either have to have one of them on stand-by (especially when you want to move to another satellite), or keep both of them on the same satellite if you want to use both at the same time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)