Motorized Dish (Trouble with 105W and up)?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

signal.quest

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 29, 2009
Near Scranton, PA
Hello. I was hoping someone could help me. I am able to tune in tranponders on 70W - 103W with no trouble. I am having problem tuning in anything on 105W and up. I don't know if I don't have the dish pointed 100% or if I am using bad transponder data for sats above 105. I only have a linear KU lnb to test with. It is also possible that I some trees could be blocking signal.

Is it possible to have the dish pointed well for 70-103? And have problems above?
Can someone please provide transponder info for 105 - 129 linear? I am in PA and not sure what Sats have linear transponders that I should be able to see. Thanks!

Check the plumb of your dish mast, and whether it changes at all with dish movement. ANY movement or "out of plumb" condition will make it much harder to get satellites as you move away from True South.
Check each satellite in turn, after 105W . Go to 107 W , try a transponder on the list, and if you get nothing , go out to the dish with a small TV and see whether you get quality by manually pushing the dish slightly east or west, up or down . Make sure your motor latitude scale setting is as close to your latitude as you can reasonably get it. That , too, will be more important as you leave True South position.
:)

Thanks. Instead of trying to tweak the dish/mount, is there a way to make up for the discrepancy with a better LNB or by going to fractional degrees for example (105 would be 105.2 or 104.8)? That brings up another question - Should I treat 107.3 as 107 or actually 107.3? Thanks.

my guess is yer apex is around 100 degrees ? chances are its low or high elevation and azimuth adjustment. an out of plumb mount will cause this as well.

crackt out,.

Thanks. Instead of trying to tweak the dish/mount, is there a way to make up for the discrepancy with a better LNB or by going to fractional degrees for example (105 would be 105.2 or 104.8)? That brings up another question - Should I treat 107.3 as 107 or actually 107.3? Thanks.

If you go across the arc, and find that you CAN get the sats you want manually, you can save their positions using Diseqc 1.2 mode( Or you can change their angular positions to "fudge" them in). These are just azimuth adjustments, though, and still rely on correct motor latitude setting, and a plumb pole to track the arc. Nothing can help though, if you're not aimed well enough to acquire the signal. A rigid and plumb pole is the best start for a motorized system, and there's no way to achieve a H-H accurate arc without it.
:)

Are you thinking as the motor turns farther west that the pole might be flexing?
That's a possibility, or a little out of Plumb.
Can you post a Pic of the Dish Motor?
Also, Triple check that you have the correct Latitude setting on the Motor, mostly using the correct indicator on the Motor.

A warped Dish is another possibility, eyeball the Rim of the Dish or give it the String Test.

I'll try to get some pics posted later today. I have it on my roof on a J pole. I don't have the tripod arms for it. Maybe that is causing a problem...?

I'll try to get some pics posted later today. I have it on my roof on a J pole. I don't have the tripod arms for it. Maybe that is causing a problem...?

Possibly, as the weight shifts when the motor turns , your pole could be moving. The roof itself might even be flexing. When I had mine on a roof, I had to reinforced that area from the attic by nailing 2x10 pieces between the trusses and anchoring the mount in the 2x10.

Signal.Quest,

My immediate reaction to the description of your problem was that the motor latitude was set slightly too high and the dish elevation set too low to compensate for that and the azimuth may even be slightly too far east or west (not much, but a little).

If the mast is not very stable, the weight of the dish and motor and brackets would also be pulling against the mast and making it very difficult to get all the angles set properly to track the arc.

If one or more angles are not correct and the mast is not very secure, you can cut through any portion of the arc and miss all the rest. Sounds like you are picking up about 25 - 30% of the total arc.

Getting the mast perfectly plumb and stabilizing it is definitely a must for your situation. That will remove any errors from the very foundation of your installation. This is a very important step to mind.

If you cannot find the stock brackets to support the mast, try some all-thread, with turnbuckles and anchor mounts and maybe a collar clamp for the mast. A little Red-Green ingenuity and you can be set up fine for this one regard, then you will need to ensure that the motor and dish angles are set and fine "tuned" to the best alignment you can achieve.

RADAR

Are there anything wrong with my Nfusion HD setting?

Since I bought this Nfusion HD, I try set it and cost my lot of time, and can not get any channel! all birds shows 99% Strength signal but 0% quality signal. I know there are lot of high skilled and experienced friends here, so please help me fix it.

My Nfusion HD w 8psk card, connect to SG-2100 motor and then to a 4x1 DiSEqC Switch, port2# to Universal single LNB and port3# to a Standard Twin Circular LNB, I bonded them together face to 33" dish. During I search satellite I put a Satellite Finder on output of the switch, most of satellite shows stronger signal on Satellite Finder, such as 37.5W, 58W, 65W, 82W, 87W, 91W, 95W,97W, 101W, 110W, 116.8W, 119W, 121W, 123W, 129W.
for Universal LNB, I set as Universal, 9750-10750 this is for 95W FTA
for Circular LNB, I set as Standard, L.O. 10750.

I try input correct Tps from Lyngsat but still can not get quality signal.
Did I set anything wrong?
:rant::rant:
I appreciate your help. Thanks

For the circular lnb the LO should be 11250, not 10750. But I don't think you'll get much free to air off those circular satellites, most of that is pay-tv and scrambled. Sounds like you don't have the dish tracking the satellite arc, getting 99%signal just shows you have the lnb connected. Quality will light up and show a figure when you actually hit a signal.
Here' s a link to our FAQ for setting up a motorized dish:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-faqs/190527-how-set-up-motorized-ku-band-dish.html#post1985980
Start a new topic on new threads=you'll get more people seeing it, and Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts