motorized or stationary??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

wicky

Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
I'm having a few decision making problems, seems the more I learn the more indecisive I get.
I've narrowed down to nfusion Nova for sure,I can see that this will probably become obsolete in a couple years just as older receivers have and really the receivers don't appear to be all that expensive to replace as needed.
Now question is what is the benefits of getting the motor setup compared to stationary with several lmb's ?
Is it better to get motor and several lmb's for more variety or does the multiple lmb's defeat the purpose of the motor?
So the two packages I'm narrowed down to are the Nfusion Nova Motorized FTA Satelite system #2 Motorized FTA system: Nfusion Nova receiver, 31" satellite dish, motor and invacom LNB. which I'm thinking is not meant to hold several lmb's ( just an idea ) compared to the Nfusion Nova with Wave Frontier T90 Satelite Dish FTA satellite system: Nfusion Nova receiver, Wave Frontier T90 satellite dish and invacom LNB. which comes with 3 lmb's, help?
Is a single quad lmb with motor all that difficult to setup?
Also seeing as this is going to turn into an interesting cat and mouse chase hobby I'd like to purchase the appropriate tools for locating the sats in the sky. I live in Northern Ontario if that helps for avail sats for me, right now i have bell sat.
TY

Check the list and see which birds you would like to receive. The fixed torrodial dish will limit the range of sats you can pickup. The motor setup is a better option. I would not recommend a dish smaller than a 90 (36"). I have a 31" dish and I wish I would have gone bigger. Personally I only point to AM3 and G10r but this a great hobby and its even better with a good blind scan receiver.

First off any old receiver works fine, always get a motorized dish, if you want ku-band get a 90cm-120cm for c/ku get a 8.5' or larger.

Considering that you're in northern Ontario, I'd recommend a 1.2 dish for ku band stuff. 90 cm is adequate for more southern, central US locations. The larger dish will limit your motor selection as well. In the past, the motor for 1.2 meter dishes was generally the Stab HH120, slow but powerful. Newer motors for offset dishes are coming out, and you might want to follow those leads . Sadoun, has a good selection of motors, and another , according to another thread, soon to be available.

I've narrowed down to nfusion Nova for sure...

Interesting. I haven't read any info on that box.
Where did you find independent reviews to sell ya on it?
I'd like to know more.

Maybe we should review it here.
If you've read any of our reviews, you know we stress motor operation, switch control, and general non-lockup when encountering odd signals.
Also, things like editing and inserting new satellites/transponders/channels, are a must, as is support by an off-board channel editor.
Like to see how it stacks up against some of the work horses we are more familiar with.

Thanks for the input folks it would seem obvious the motor setup is the way to go, I'm sure there's a real learning curve for a motor setup dish this is why I'm going to get a tool that will help if needed, have you's heard anything Skytracker plus digital? I really don't know much about the nfusion Nova, the way I narrowed it down was a few of my friends have other models that go down, and they've told me when there's go down ie coolsat 8100 the nfusion did not go down and doesn't go down all that often.
I'm not real sure whats referred to as "switch control, and general non-lockup when encountering odd signals", well actually I should say I figured a switch is a switch, but the rest I draw a blank, help.
So would this package be a good start for motorized setup Motorized FTA system: Nfusion Nova receiver, 31" satellite dish, motor and invacom LNB. other than the fact of the nfusion? As well as I would mind a couple examples of these work horses that have been suggested?:)

Fortec makes very good recievers, and many of the members of this site use them, including myself. While mine is an Ultra that is no longer produced, the Mercury II is known as workhorse, and has excellent blind scan abilities. I took a look at the site your looking at, and most packages seem to come with a 31" dish. If possible I would try to upgrade to at least a 36", which is what I use here in Saskatchewan, and it works just fine.

I think a motorized system is a plus! I don't have a Coolsat 8100 or an Nfusion, but I have a Coolsat 5000 and it never Locks Up, and controls switches quite well with it's 1.1 Diseqc Commands capabillity (which is the direction I'm currently headed, away from the motor, but I won't get rid of my motors). It makes me wonder what your friends problems could be? Maybe they aren't lined up correctly, but that wouldn't cause a Lock-Up? Could be there receivers are overloading from scans? Too many scans can overload the memory and cause Confusion and Kaos in the receiver, causing it to act quirky? Especially if you scan those Encrypted Pay channels, it's best to stay away from them, they can overload a receiver in a hurry. These receivers need to be cleaned out occassionally, to keep the memory stable.

Definitely MOTORIZED.. !!

Like others said get a bigger dish 1.2m !!! if you can!!! and try get a dish good quality with good nice elevation scale so far from my little experience with FTA I noticed it to be the most important factor in finding a satellite!!

Once you get this set up with the motor it will change all Azimuth/Elevation and LNB SKEW for you from the comfort of your own living-room!!

I just got one and I love it!! Selling dishes without motor should be against the law :p

I really don't know much about the nfusion Nova, the way I narrowed it down was a few of my friends have other models that go down, and they've told me when there's go down ie coolsat 8100 the nfusion did not go down and doesn't go down all that often.

free to air does not go down....I've had my boxes (numerouos ones) for 4+ years now and the only time they "go down" is when the power goes out :)

what are you attempting to pick up?

I really don't know much about the nfusion Nova, the way I narrowed it down was a few of my friends have other models that go down, and they've told me when there's go down ie coolsat 8100 the nfusion did not go down and doesn't go down all that often.

We at SatelliteGuys.US do not condone satellite piracy! The nfusion receiver is primarily used to receive encrypted channels (i.e. bev & dn) by connecting to a public IKS (card sharing) server on the internet via it's built in Ethernet port.

Thank you

PwrSurge

Last edited:
Ok now you's lost me
To repeat what Iceberg asked - what is the programing your are looking to receive? If it is the type of programing that you would see on Dish Network such as HBO movies or ESPN sports or local TV stations. Well that is NOT true FTA. So what is it you are trying to receive? We are all here to help and support true FTA but not the theft of scrambled signal.
Bob

Well to tell you the truth this is just a new hobby I would like to learn and grow with , so really I have no idea what FTA stations are available and obvoiusly I haven't read enough about receivers and FTA especially when I see the words such as satellite piracy and theft come in to the topic. Sheeesh all I want to do is buy the newest equipment available and have fun.:eek:

Well to tell you the truth this is just a new hobby I would like to learn and grow with , so really I have no idea what FTA stations are available and obvoiusly I haven't read enough about receivers and FTA especially when I see the words such as satellite piracy and theft come in to the topic. Sheeesh all I want to do is buy the newest equipment available and have fun.:eek:

They are just saying you aren't specific enough about your inquiries. And the reason piracy and theft is coming up is because you said you have a few friends that have their 'receivers go down' from time to time. They are most likely stealing tv so that is why their programming quits working. They are also saying that if you want help stealing t.v. you will need to go elsewhere.

People who are new to this hobby are quite often confused about what true FTA is. Let me explain what is going on to clear up some of the confusion...

The true definition of FTA is the reception of programming that is Free To Air, or UNENCRYPTED. There are hundreds of channels up there on numerous satellites across the sky which are in the clear, or unencrypted. Reception of those clear channels is what is discussed here at Satelliteguys.

Hackers have found ways to change the factory software on FTA boxes to enable them to receive pay channels from Dish Network and Bell ExpressVu. The reception of these channels is NOT FTA, and is not allowed to be discussed here. When Dish Network adjusts their encryption, the hacked software no longer functions (the box "goes down"), and that's why many members here thought you were referring to hacking when you mentioned your friend's box "going down". Loading 3rd party firmware on a FTA receiver to decrypt encrypted programming is illegal, and is off topic on Satelliteguys.

FTA receivers loaded with factory firmware (which only gets the unencrypted channels) never go down, since they don't decrypt anything. The reception of unencrypted channels is what the FTA hobby is about, and what we discuss here. Hope that clears things up a bit :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)