Motorola 922 vs General Instrument 922? Any Diff?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

T4Runner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 3, 2010
37.0N 119.5W California
Is there any difference between these two receivers? I have a chance to pick up a GI DSR922 tomorrow

Last edited:
Some have the power cords that can be unplugged from the receiver

and some are permanently attached. I am not sure if that is due to the

age of the receiver or if it depends on what factory and country it

was produced in. I used to believe that it was the oldest units that

unplugged until a neighbor showed me a GI unit that the plug did not

come off. Maybe someone modified that GI unit??? :confused:

I have a 2001 GI unit (Died :rip:) with a detachable cord

and a Moto 2004 unit with the "perma-cord". :)

Okay, I am now the owner of a GI DSR922 that has been out of service since 2004 or 2005. The seller hooked it to a TV (no dish) and showed me the system status page; including the Unit ID. It came with the remote and the manual. ($80 Craig's List)

He said what I have read here that it would be wise to replace the battery soon. It was working with no trouble, but it will be replaced.

So what first? 4DTV thread listings are not the easiest to read and make sense of since apparently so much has changed since January 2011.

I connected it to an old TV in my radio room, but will not connect it to my 7.5ft C Band dish until I read a library of info. I would post a few screen shots, but there must be a reason the Unit ID # and Receiver # are blanked out on thread pic postings?, so later...

The battery would need to be changed in the gI one asap. The GI one most likely has a detachable cord and should have the two piece main board, later models have a permanent cord and a one piece board, GI most probably was made in the Philippines next level and Motorola were made in a few places.

anybody know off hand what battery the GI takes? i may need to buy one soon.
Thanks

Radio Shack sells a AA Lithium that some of us put in the 922 and in a AA 2 battery holder
for easy replacement by popping in another battery.

Check out the archives for install info!

Catalog# 23-940
Tadiran TL-5903/s
3.6V 2200mAh
Lithium backup battery
$16.99

battery.jpg
pencil.png

Radio Shack sells a AA Lithium that some of us put in the 922 and in a AA 2 battery holder
for easy replacement by popping in another battery.

Check out the archives for install info!

Catalog# 23-940
Tadiran TL-5903/s
3.6V 2200mAh
Lithium backup battery
$16.99

View attachment 69281
pencil.png

Does anyone have a picture of this? I have read so many threads lately they are all running together... I could swear besides the TVROPO post of a direct battery relacement, that I have seen a thread about using a battery holder also?

I don't like holders since they can break from heat and the contacts can oxidize. Solder my friend is the best way to do it..

I don't like holders since they can break from heat and the contacts can oxidize. Solder my friend is the best way to do it..

Okay, I'm almost convinced.... You're the expert. Since I already bought the Radio Shack #23-940 3.6V Lithium battery, I hope it's okay to use and solder in?

When I get the DSR922 off line I will tackle this (been watching TCM 24hrs a day). But gotta go see "Contagion" opening at the theater tomorrow. I have a day off. MY mower is in the shop. I am forced to go play. Thanks.

Most people are taking out the videocipher units and that helps to keep the units cooler.

Do you think that heat and oxidation pose such a great threat???

Plastic holders get brittle and crack from the pressure on them from the spring loaded battery terminals. If that happens bye bye 4D. Oxidation can cause the voltage to reduce because of resistance. If she drops enough bye bye 4D. I like solder :)

Plastic holders get brittle and crack from the pressure on them from the spring loaded battery terminals. If that happens bye bye 4D. Oxidation can cause the voltage to reduce because of resistance. If she drops enough bye bye 4D. I like solder :)

Perhaps I better pull my holder out of my unit. :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)