Motorola Driod Razr Issues

montana_satellite

May 3, 2005
Northwestern Montana
Hi gang! I hear Google is working on a fix to get the compass working correctly in Google Maps / Google Sky Maps which I hope will fix the same issue in DishPointer Pro. Problem is that I only have 5 days left in my trial period from Verizon so I'm wondering if I should bail on the Razr and go back to the Thunderbolt, or maybe wait for the Droid Razr Maxx or maybe even the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung? Course the Nexus uses that new Android ICE Cream Sandwich (or whatever it is) software and I haven't heard if there are any issues with that yet or not! Anyone have any ideas, suggestions?

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
Hello

I'd return the Razr, you never know when they'll fix it. They've been quick on a few devices but other devices are still waiting for a fix - and that's on a bug known since April last year.

After these Android compass shambles I'm actually recommending purely the iPhone 4, or 4S. Some Androids might have a better hardware but the iOS update system doesn't have a match.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
No, only through firmware update. Could be also a custom rom, if already available, but that would mean that you root your phone.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
Apparently a firmware update dated 09 Feb fixed the problem.

skyviewmark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 29, 2006
Bay Minette, Al
Loved the app when it was on my Original Droid.. Dead on the money.. But since I upgraded to the Droid X2 the app has been all but useless.. Always off by a mile... Anybody have any luck with this app and an X2? Will Offsets help? I miss not being able to use the app..

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
The Droid X2 is one of the phones with the dreaded compass bug but I'm not sure if Verizon/Motorola fixed that by now. Could you check for a firmware update, please? You do that from the phone settings menu.

I know from one user, back in December, that he rooted the X2 and installed a custom rom. That fixed the compass issues and DishPointer runs fine as it is supposed to be.

skyviewmark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 29, 2006
Bay Minette, Al
Still not fixed even after the last update to Android 2.3.5 on my X2. Man I really miss this app.. I pulled out my Original Droid and tried to use the app on it, but of course it no longer functioned since it had been so long since it had been used.. Way to go Verizon for screwing things up..

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
Hello Mark,

One user reported that the problems got fixed with the 2.3.5 update on X2!?

Btw, if you deinstall the app on the Droid and download it again from Google Play using the same Google account, it should work on that one again.

JMC1002

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 16, 2012
SW Iowa
I've had my iPhone 4 11/2 yrs now with no problems. I installed dish pointer 8 mos ago and it wa the best $20 dollars I've spent on apps. Took me a day to get used to using it but it sure knocked down my install time. Definitely get an iPhone 4-4s. I have a spectrum analyzer, and several hsd apps that all work great plus I don't have to carry all this equip. Had a few cust's say they couldn't believe I used my phone for so many things but if u pay $$$$ you should get what u pay for.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
The RAZR bug is back with the ICS update! Do NOT update your phone if you'd like to use ANY compass app!

Dishman1978

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 31, 2010
California
JMC1002 said:
I've had my iPhone 4 11/2 yrs now with no problems. I installed dish pointer 8 mos ago and it wa the best $20 dollars I've spent on apps. Took me a day to get used to using it but it sure knocked down my install time. Definitely get an iPhone 4-4s. I have a spectrum analyzer, and several hsd apps that all work great plus I don't have to carry all this equip. Had a few cust's say they couldn't believe I used my phone for so many things but if u pay $$$$ you should get what u pay for.
You have a spectrum analyzer for your.phone?

jameswbarton

Aug 24, 2012
virgilina, virginia
Motorola Droid Razr compass

I just installed Dish Pointer Pro on my Motorola Droid RAZR. It is on android version 4.0.4. Has the compass been fixed it does not seem to work or I do not know how to calibrate it.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
Some people reported that there is no issue at all on the Razr on ICS and some people said their compass doesn't work anymore after updating. In any case, these issues are outside of DishPointer's control since all 3D compass apps would be affected.

Did you read the help file inside the app to see how to properly calibrate the compass?

willr

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Oct 18, 2010
se pa
Just following through on this. I will be getting a new phone soon, and really want the Razr MAXX HD (because of the battery life).

Does it work with the latest firmware?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)