Motorola Droid's next update to be Android 2.1, includes multitouch browser

... the vast majority were people saying, who gives a crap, just give us 2.1 for the droid.
Hopefully this is going to happen and soon... But I wouldn't consider this a given...

Motorola was one of the companies Apple warned in January that their products are violating Apple's IP, multitouch being one of them...
HTC lawsuit came after warning by Apple to handset makers

I think Motorola has to be ready to join HTC as a sued handset manufacturer before it offers 2.1...

Diogen.

Hopefully this is going to happen and soon... But I wouldn't consider this a given...

Motorola was one of the companies Apple warned in January that their products are violating Apple's IP, multitouch being one of them...
HTC lawsuit came after warning by Apple to handset makers

I think Motorola has to be ready to join HTC as a sued handset manufacturer before it offers 2.1...

Diogen.

Other than the stock browser, the Droid already has multi-touch, on goggle maps, and in a variety of third party apps. The hardware support has been there since the beginning.

I use it all the time in the new Xscope browser. And it is in Dolphin for those who like that one.

Other than the stock browser, the Droid already has multi-touch...
As the case with Palm Pre demonstrates, Apple is only going after manufacturers that have (or have a real chance to grab) some significant marketshare...
So far only Microsoft went on record and claimed to have its own patent portfolio to not care about Apple threats. And I think the Surface that Gates showed off long before Apple entered the phone market can be a good enough start to put Apple on the defense...

But then again, MS would be only happy if Apple eliminates some of the strongest player in this market...:)

I think this "foggy" legal position made Google open source Android and sell unlocked handsets.
If bad comes to worse, you'll get a patent-clean handset from a major manufacturer and add all the "questionable" features with open source add-ons...;)

Diogen.

Last edited:
But then again, MS would be only happy if Apple eliminates some of the strongest player in this market...:)
It looks like Apple and Microsoft are getting closer by the day...:)
Business & Technology | Seeing is believing when Microsoft talks nice about former foe Apple | Seattle Times Newspaper

Brad Smith, MS' general counsel and senior vice president:
the fact that there's litigation in this area is not necessarily a bad thing.

Google search replacement (with Bing) on Apple products looks more and more likely...:)

Here is more about Apple vs. Google shenanigans
Battle lines drawn in Apple-Google warfare

Diogen.

as much as I hate to say this, it dosent look good for google, but Windows 7 is looking better each day, that and well blackberries as they havent invented anything new in the last couple years (look at their os, its PRETTY much the same)

...and by cozying up with Apple, MS at least gets a litigation free period to bring Win7Phone to the market.

Win-win all around except for Google. But I don't think they played their last aces...

Diogen.

...and by cozying up with Apple, MS at least gets a litigation free period to bring Win7Phone to the market.

Win-win all around except for Google. But I don't think they played their last aces...

Diogen.

we will see about google, and yes you are right about M$, its like the whole tivo/directv situation :) THey may be infringing on patents, but they are also giving money to the holder of said patents.

competitive phones from other providers mean more innovation for the rest of us.
And this I think is Google's bet - open platform for the smartphone market.

It is a bit like Microsoft vs. Apple in the early OS days: one is walled garden,
sterile and good looking with an extremely over sized ego; the other is open, vulnerable and ugly.

Diogen.

The 3D launcher on the Nexus one. It has the rectangle box in the bottom middle of the screen, and when you click it you get the program list, in a 3D-box that flips as you go through your items.

Its pretty cool. I have a version of it with the HelixLauncher, a free home replacement that works pretty well, and allows you to dock four apps on the bottom of every screen. It looks like the Nexus one, but the launcher is not 3D.

I am just excited that 2.1 is going to drop.

Android Central reports it will begin dropping at 12noon EST tomorrow in batches of 250,000. Once Android central gets the link for the download, they will post it so people do not have to wait for the OTA.

Looking forward to it!

Motorola's Facebook page confirms it will be dropping today, BUT says it will be going to a small number of test users first, and then will go to everybody else. I suspect many folks are going to be disappointed at 12 noon Eastern, when they don't see an OTA update available, but ultimately its just a question of patience... :)

And for those of us who have lived with Dish Network, we certainly know the challenge of patience and the word "soon." :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)