Motorola DSR405 Receiver

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
I recently purchased a Motorola DSR405 receiver on E-Bay that had been used for Star Choice programming. I had hoped to use this receiver for FTA.

The receiver had been authorized with EEM Provider 4128 which I believe was for Star Choice. After not receiving the FTA channels as expected I went into the hidden commands and selected "Authorization Reset". This I shouldn't have done. :( Now the receiver might never be authorized.

My questions are:
1) Would it be possible to subcribe to the Skyvision X4 KU package using this receiver? I don't see why not after all it is a digicipher receiver.
2) If not could I subscribe to a few channels on Star Choce without getting an entire package just so I can also get the FTA channels?
3) Do people who subscribe to Star Choice also get FTA channels on other satellites like on X4?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PopcornNMore said:
:
1) Would it be possible to subcribe to the Skyvision X4 KU package using this receiver? I don't see why not after all it is a digicipher receiver.
No - S/N will be in the StarChoice range

2) If not could I subscribe to a few channels on Star Choce without getting an entire package just so I can also get the FTA channels?
No - no way to manually tune the 405.

3) Do people who subscribe to Star Choice also get FTA channels on other satellites like on X4?
No

There is no such thing as a FTA DCII channel. DCII channels are mapped into a database - which has a limit of 1920 entries.

In order to get a map of X4 channels, one must have a 4DTV receiver and CBand. Or else be using a HITS receiver (DSR410/451/470) with a subcription to a cable company using HITS signals.

A DSR905 sidecar, in conjunction with an analog C Band receiver, will allow someone to subcribe to channels on X4 and view open keyed DCII signals on F1R and F2

Thank you Jumbo Dumbo and HDTVFanAtic for answering my questions. By saying FTA I meant open keyed DCII signals like The American Life Network on X4.

All the models DSR905 sidecar, DSR405 Star Choice and DSR410 HITS all look alike inside and out except for a few features. I wonder if the circuit board is the same and the only real difference is the firmware. I saw a program called 4Play that allows you to manually tune these receivers. This may be my only option.

Is there any way I could possibly get this DSR405 receiver to get only open key DCII Star Choice stations on Anik FIR? I probably could have if I wouldn't of selected "Reset Authorization". How stupid of me. If only I could get it reauthorized.

I just received an email from SPS Satellite Programming stating that they should be able to authorize my DSR405 receiver and allow me to subscribe to programming on the X4 satellite. They said The Game Show Network, Speed Channel and others are available ala carte. Maybe I'll give it a shot just to see if it works. Maybe they know something we don't.

PopcornNMore said:
I just received an email from SPS Satellite Programming stating that they should be able to authorize my DSR405 receiver and allow me to subscribe to programming on the X4 satellite. .

I wonder where the channel maps would come from then? I was under the impression that only HITS maps were broadcast from X4

The guide loaded during the night with the receiver off as someone suggested in another post. It has listed for AnikF1 (PPV1, PPV2, CNBC,WNBC) as well as 1 or 2 other channels, but no programming is available. The EEM Provider is still 0. I may try going back to X4 where I was locked previously and call SPS to authorize the unit. I will keep everyone posted.

I read that it is NOT necessary to have C band in order to authorize and to download the mapping as many people believe. I read and have confirmed that any KU band satellite that has DCII programming will also send authorization and channel mappings.

PNM find out if a StarChoice DSR 305 could be used on X4 or pm the number to SPS and I will find out for myself. I can see how it could be remapped, I just wondered if they would transfer the UA#? thanks

I got back the EEM Provider ID, downloaded new channel maps and even updated the firmware. :) I am able to sucessfully tune in several open key DCII channels on multiple satellites using the DSR405 receiver. In fact, this could be done with a DSR401DS, DSR410DS or just about any other digicipher receiver.

HDTVFanAtic said:
most times those 405s have gone for virtually $5 on ebay lately.

How true! And to think people actually pay so much money for a DSR905 digital sidecar, DSR920 or DSR922 4DTV receiver. :)

Do some investigation into digicipher technology, study the diagnostic data, learn about 4DTV generics and the MANY hidden commands available within the Motorola receiver no matter what model you have. You might just be surprised. :)

PopcornNMore said:
I got back the EEM Provider ID, downloaded new channel maps and even updated the firmware. :) I am able to sucessfully tune in several open key DCII channels on multiple satellites using the DSR405 receiver. In fact, this could be done with a DSR401DS, DSR410DS or just about any other digicipher receiver.

How true! And to think people actually pay so much money for a DSR905 digital sidecar, DSR920 or DSR922 4DTV receiver. :)

Do some investigation into digicipher technology, study the diagnostic data, learn about 4DTV generics and the MANY hidden commands available within the Motorola receiver no matter what model you have. You might just be surprised. :)

what does your EEM Provider ID shows and what did you get authorized?

I am not as far as I had thought. The EMM Provider ID is 4128 (Star Choice) and I am receiving open key stations like the Shopping Channel, Knowledge Network, Access, etc. from F1 and F2 Anik satellites.

It does not however reconize X4 as a satellite even with a high signal strength. It receives a lock and the signal is in the high 80's, but the satellite field remains blank. SPS Programming said that they could provide authorization, but I have not called them yet. Most sites require a digital ID with "FF" in it. This model receiver does not have this ID. It only had a 16 digit user ID.

I do believe that all these receivers including the Voom receivers are capable to receiving open key programming off other satellites like X4. It may require a firmware change, but I do believe it is possible and will keep on trying. I have another DSR410DS "HITS" receiver arriving today. I will give it a try on X4 it may have different firmware and may have been pre-authorized.

Skyvision has a X4 digital package and I believe this trend is going to continue. The 4DTV receivers will last only so long, because most analog signals are disappearing. A combination DCII and DVB FTA receiver would be nice. :)

You might just be able to Cablewithaview. Give me a few more weeks of tinkering, I am not done yet.

I wonder if there would be a demand for a DCII box that would receive only open key programming from all the satellites.

Are you sure it is the Digital ID that has the "FF" in it? I'm pretty sure that is the Videocipher II Analog ID.

PopcornNMore said:
I am not as far as I had thought. The EMM Provider ID is 4128 (Star Choice) and I am receiving open key stations like the Shopping Channel, Knowledge Network, Access, etc. from F1 and F2 Anik satellites.

It does not however reconize X4 as a satellite even with a high signal strength. It receives a lock and the signal is in the high 80's, but the satellite field remains blank. SPS Programming said that they could provide authorization, but I have not called them yet. Most sites require a digital ID with "FF" in it. This model receiver does not have this ID. It only had a 16 digit user ID.

I do believe that all these receivers including the Voom receivers are capable to receiving open key programming off other satellites like X4. It may require a firmware change, but I do believe it is possible and will keep on trying. I have another DSR410DS "HITS" receiver arriving today. I will give it a try on X4 it may have different firmware and may have been pre-authorized.

Skyvision has a X4 digital package and I believe this trend is going to continue. The 4DTV receivers will last only so long, because most analog signals are disappearing. A combination DCII and DVB FTA receiver would be nice. :)

GO HERE

http://www.motorola.com/content.jsp?globalObjectId=5178-8310

Thank you SpinDoctor, but I already visited this page as well as many others. I am currently having more success with the other DSR410DS receiver that arrived yesterday.

Good News - Bad News:

I called SPS Programming to subscribe to programming on X4 using a DSR410 receiver.

YES you can sucessfully subscribe to programming using any of these receivers.
YES you can order a single channel like GSN to download the correct channel maps and to authorize the receiver
YES you can order any programming using one of these cheap receivers instead of a 4DTV DSR920 or DSR922.

Bad News: In order to receive the hit to activate the programming you need access to an analog C-Band signal. The hit using just X4 KU did not work.

Someone like Iceberg who has a 6' C-band dish along with a DSR410DS receiver could possibly use this box to subscribe to programming and then receive all the open fixed key programming. However, someone like me would need to install C-band first. I am working on it, but not there yet.

PopcornNMore said:
Good News - Bad News:

Bad News: In order to receive the hit to activate the programming you need access to an analog C-Band signal. The hit using just X4 KU did not work.

So you would need a 920 or 922 or 905 sidecar to pickup the 4DTV map on C Band.

In order for a a DSR 4XX consumer receiver to work, it must pickup the channel map from a Ku source.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)