Mountain West Confrence Network Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Wayne Kjelsrud

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Rawlins, Wyoming
There has been some rumors on some of the MWC mesage boards that DTV and the MTN are close to a deal to have the MTN added to DTV line up. My question is dose anyone know if this is in fact true and if so how close are they to signing it ?

No real knowledge, but the guy on the BYU board who posted about this on Thursday is pretty well connected. He is usually accurate, and does not post until he has solid stuff. My guess is that they are very close. He predicted something official in the next 2 weeks, but they would hold off actually broadcasting the channel until close to football season -- there isn't enough programming over the summer to be worth showing the channel.

All of this -- even if it is true -- doesn't mean that things won't fall completely apart. It has already happened several times.

Let's cross our fingers.

BTW, assuming you are a 'Pokes fan, congrats on todays win.

- martincva

RE: What teams make up the Mountain West?

Air Force
Brigham Young
Colorado State
UNLV
New Mexico
San Diego State
TCU
Utah
Wyoming

Small markets meant that the satellites just weren't willing to pay much for the sports channel. It has been almost 2 years since it launched and it is only on a handful of ComCast and Cox cable systems. There are rumblings that a deal with DirecTV is imminent, which is good news. More than half of the BYU games have been on a channel that I cannot get.

It has been about two weeks sence I asked this Question. But dose anybody have any new info from the time I asked? And are they are still in talks or are they just what I stated rumors?

How long can they go without carriage? That list of teams is so unappealing nationally that their best bet would be to give the channel to D* for free, just so they could increase their own advertising revenue.

Sorry - no news is not good news. There's been little mentioned about this RSN since it's launch, which was a quiet one. It has such a limited area that they will have to get to a price D* can live with before it will happen. There's not enough demand to put the pressue on D* so to speak, and few competitors with it.

Mountain West network is a Comcast partnership and Comcast has been adamant about not including the Big 10 network on Comcast without putting it on a special tier so I could see Direct TV which had/has Fox ties (and Fox happens to be the Big 10 networks partner) playing hardball and telling them to go shove it

It finaly looks like I will be able to watch my beloved Wyoming Cowboys and Cowgirls on my DirecTV next year. Now Mr. heisman27 if the teams that make up the MWC are so unapealng national so be it you don't have to watch the network. But there are alumni and fan bases all over the country for all those schools and they have just as mutch rigth to see ther school on any carrier (cable or satelite) as much as any other confrence in the NCAA. But give them a chance and take a look at a few games and they might suprise you ther is some pretty good football & basketball played in the Mountain West Confrence!!!!

Last edited:
It finaly looks like I will be able to watch my beloved Wyoming Cowboys and Cowgirls on my DirecTV next year. Now Mr. heisman27 if the teams that make up the MWC are so unapealng national so be it you don't have to watch the network. But there are alumni and fan bases all over the country for all those schools and they have just as mutch rigth to see ther school on any carrier (cable or satelite) as much as any other confrence in the NCAA. But give them a chance and take a look at a few games and they might suprise you ther is some pretty good football & basketball played in the Mountain West Confrence!!!!

There is some pretty good football and basketball being played in high schools around the country as well. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that MTN schools have a very limited amount of national appeal. It's a non-BCS conference without any tradition, as the conference has not even existed for a decade yet. Having said all that, where and when did I ever say I wouldn't watch, or I wasn't interested? I would watch, as I think they play some of their football schedule during "odd" times, which would be great. Probably a moot point, however, as it looks like it will be an RSN which won't be made available to me anyway.

There is some pretty good football and basketball being played in high schools around the country as well. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that MTN schools have a very limited amount of national appeal. It's a non-BCS conference without any tradition, as the conference has not even existed for a decade yet. Having said all that, where and when did I ever say I wouldn't watch, or I wasn't interested? I would watch, as I think they play some of their football schedule during "odd" times, which would be great. Probably a moot point, however, as it looks like it will be an RSN which won't be made available to me anyway.
All I'm going to say is you might be suprised when you see some of the action from the MWC. There is a long history with the schools that make up the MWC with the exception of TCU. They have for the most part been in the same confrence (mostly the Western Athletic Confrence) for most of the past 50 years and some of the school have been playing each other for over 100 years like Wyoming and Colorado State. Sure the confrene may only be 10 years old but before you knock the history of the schools in the confrence look them up and find out there history.

All I can say is that after watching the MWSN commercials berating Dish & Directv for the last year, is that Mountain West, you better not clown around with standard definition broadcasts.

Don

Heisman27, one thing you failed to recognize in sating that there is very limited national appeal is the BYU factor. BYU is a Morman University, which has a potential fan base of almost 17 million church members nationwide, which really is only second to Notre Dame. Keep in mind also that BYU has a huge tradition in Football including a National Championship and numerous other achievements to large to number. I will agree with you on the rest of the conference with the exception of the University of Utah which has developed quite a tradition of Basketball and recently Football including the first team to bust the BCS back when there was only 4 games and it was near impossible for a non-bcs team to get in..

I'm not stating this because I'm a Mountain West fan or a Morman, I just want you to have the facts. Go Gator's!!!!!!!

BYU is a Morman University, which has a potential fan base of almost 17 million church members nationwide, which really is only second to Notre Dame.

Here is one for you, did you know that NoD's ratings are higher when they are really bad? Yeah, that's right, there are more haters of that school than anything else. This does not apply to BYU, as we all wish we lived Bill's "Big Love" lifestyle. Mmmmmmm, Margene!!! :hungry:

While I'm not a MWC fan specifically, it's always good news to have access to more college sports! Wish they could get this uplinked before basketball season is over...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)