Mounting 2nd lnb for 103.0W ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cebu22

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
I have mounted a 2nd lnb onto my motorized 33 inch dish to capture 103.0W. The 2nd lnb is located right beside the original lnb. Using dishpointer.com, I obtained the skew angle for 103.0W. I am using a 2 port diseqc switch to select between the lnbs. Unfortunately, I am unable to receive any signal (quality) on the newly mounted lnb. Is what I am trying to do possible? Thanks in advance.

On a motorized dish the Skew angle is 0° for all sats. 103ku is 26° CW off normal. So set the skew on your 2nd lnb 26° CW from the primary one. And yes what you are doing is very possible. A picture of your setup may tell a story your not seeing, if you could post some.

If its motorized cant you just move it to point at 103 when you need it instead of adding an lnb? And wouldn't a 2nd lnb not work on a motorized setup anyway because it won't flow the arc?

If its motorized cant you just move it to point at 103 when you need it instead of adding an lnb? And wouldn't a 2nd lnb not work on a motorized setup anyway because it won't flow the arc?

Ollie,

The purpose behind this setup is due to the fact that the 103 bird has an "abnormal" polarization of 26°. This sat's antenna is actually tilted whereas all other sat's antennas are level. If you set up the LNBF on a motorized dish to get all the satellites, it won't pick up 103 unless you go out and rotate the LNBF to change the polarization. If you set the LNBF polarization up for 103 then when the dish is moved to the other sats, it won't be able to pick them up. So, the solution is to add a "rider" or "side-car" LNBF that is specifically dedicated and rotated to get 103W and the main LNBF gets all the other birds.

RADAR

Now my imagination is running....this would be a good weekend project, attach second LNB to the side of the primary lnb and set the secondary's skew off my 26 or so degrees.

Now, if am at 103 w/ the primary lnb, please correct me, but am going to have to adjust the dish allignment (east or west) do compensate for the 2nb LNB not being centred by a few degrees.

Cheers, K

If using USALS simply change the 103w orbital position to match the new offset aiming. Example: If the 2nd LNBF is offset by 5 degrees, edit the orbital position to 98w if the 2nd LNBF is on the left side of the centered LNBF (when standing in front of the dish looking at the back of the LNBFs) or to 108w if the 2nd LNBF is on the right side of the LNBF. You may need to fine tune the motor position entry to optimize the dish position for the best Signal Quality reading.

For many years , many of us have had an offset LNBF on motorized dishes for 103w. there are several threads with photos.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...c-on-103-w?highlight=question+bout+nbc+on+103

Here is an old photo of my set-up with a 2nd LNBF mounted to the right side.
2 LNBF Mount on Motor.JPG

Last edited:
Ollie,

The purpose behind this setup is due to the fact that the 103 bird has an "abnormal" polarization of 26°. This sat's antenna is actually tilted whereas all other sat's antennas are level. If you set up the LNBF on a motorized dish to get all the satellites, it won't pick up 103 unless you go out and rotate the LNBF to change the polarization. If you set the LNBF polarization up for 103 then when the dish is moved to the other sats, it won't be able to pick them up. So, the solution is to add a "rider" or "side-car" LNBF that is specifically dedicated and rotated to get 103W and the main LNBF gets all the other birds.

RADAR

Ohhhh that makes sense, interesting!

Brian...judging by your picture, the skews of both LNBs seem to be 0. ie when facing the dish, both LNBs are perfectly right side up.

Cheers, K

Brian...judging by your picture, the skews of both LNBs seem to be 0. ie when facing the dish, both LNBs are perfectly right side up.

Cheers, K

The main LNBF is set at 0, but the 2nd LNBF is definitely rotated approximately 25 degrees from the 0 position! :D

Brian, Maybe I'm missing something here? I assume from your post the dish was a motorized dish correct? Wouldn't the lnb on the right have to be twisted to the proper skew? In the picture it looks like both lnb's are set at zero? Maybe I'm missing something here lol...I just put a motorized Hot dish 90 dish in for my son and 103W was the only issue because of the skew. I may try and mount another lnb to the right of the current one and see what happens.

I have the same set-up but with Two SL1PLLs and yes the second LNBF is rotated.
If you study Brian's photograph for a minute you will see they are not both at "0".

Brian, As a I was posting I saw your answer to Kraven after I posted

Guess my comment to you is now moot also..:)....but yes mine works good the way I have mine. I have it 6 deg off, so if I park the dish at 97W the the second LNBF is pointed at 103.

2 LNBF Mount on Motor.JPG
From the angle of the photo, if the skew was at 0, the side seam on the LNBF would be near the point where the bottom clamp meets the top clamp.

I am still attempting to get Cozy TV on 103.0W using a 2nd lnb and a diseqc switch. I have installed and skewed the 2md lnb and I am able to get the Huntington Beach channels on 103.0W. However, I am not able to tune in Cozy TV on 11840 H 30000
using a micro HD receiver and 33 inch dish. I was wondering if anyone in the Boston, MA area has successfully
locked onto Cozy TV using a diseqc switch 2nd lnb scheme? Any suggestions?

If facing the dish the lnb is mounted to the right. The skew is 25 degrees clockwise. 60-70 on signal quality for microspace huntington beach channels. Thanks for the help.

Skew should be 25 or so degrees CLOCKwise from whatever the normal skew is for your location. Not 25 degrees clockwise from zero.

So, if your NORMAL skew is for instance say 15 degrees counter-clockwise, the skew you'd need to set would be to 10 degrees clockwise...

Also, if you are now using USALS to point your dish at 103w, be aware that an lnb mounted to the right of your regular centered lnb would then pick up 105 or maybe even 107. You need to make a skewed 103w listing in your satellite list, set that one to a Diseqc location to move your dish more towards the EAST to get the signal to that special skewed lnb

The sat signal gets picked-up and bounces across the dish to the opposite off-set lnb.

Skew should be 25 or so degrees CLOCKwise from whatever the normal skew is for your location. Not 25 degrees clockwise from zero.

So, if your NORMAL skew is for instance say 15 degrees counter-clockwise, the skew you'd need to set would be to 10 degrees clockwise...

Also, if you are now using USALS to point your dish at 103w, be aware that an lnb mounted to the right of your regular centered lnb would then pick up 105 or maybe even 107. You need to make a skewed 103w listing in your satellite list, set that one to a Diseqc location to move your dish more towards the EAST to get the signal to that special skewed lnb

The sat signal gets picked-up and bounces across the dish to the opposite off-set lnb.
I am trying to learn the intricacies of setting up the 2-n LNBF and am still confused. Cebu22 mentioned at the beginning that he uses motorized dish. Magic Static says in the post #2 that the main LNBF should have skew at 0, when the dish is motorized, and the extra LNBF for 103 should be spun 23 degrees CW, I understand Clock-Wise (when you stand in front of the dish, facing LNBF and concave surface of the dish). Satellite AV provides a photo and proves that the extra LNBF is, indeed, skewed, its right seam clearly above the clamp connection (therefore the LNBF is skewed CCW - CounterClockWise). And now Primestar suggests that the extra LNBF should be skewed RELATIVELY to the main LNBF. I hope the directions of skew could be explained more easily. Cheers,polgyver

polgyver,

Great catch! Was trying to make sense of what you were puzzled about and I just noticed that I had attached the wrong photo to the posts! I had been adjusting the dish that day for a KU adjustable scalar test and grabbed the wrong photo in the original post. Duplicated in the recent post without verifying.

I confirm that the 2nd LNBF will be approximately 26 degrees ClockWise rotation from the motorized 0 (zero) position normal setting. Easy way to remember is that the 103w skew position would be set to approximately the same rotation as 83w.

Sorry about the confusion! :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)