Mounting KAKU dish to antenna tower

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jasonm

Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Minnesota
Hi, I've got a neighbor who is getting DirecTV installed next week and he doesn't want the dish mounted to the house. He has an antenna tower that he would like the Kaku dish mounted to. I'm a DirecTV installer so he asked me if I had any ideas on how to mount the dish to the tower. Its a basic three-footed webbed antenna tower. Anyone have a clue how I could do it? All I can think of is to u-bolt it, but with the weight of the Kaku, I just don't know how well that would work. (somehow use chimney mounts maybe?)

My first thing is that I would not mount it to the tower unless it is supported. If it is a free standing tower I would not put on there as it will move to much unless it is on the first section.

What I have done when I needed to mount on a tower was get a 2x8 and use two u-bolt kits to attach it to the tower. I then lag the mast to the 2x8. I then use 5/16 self taps to attach the struts to the tower.

Ubolts will work if you can find the right size. Another thing that will work is to take a second footplate and use it as a backing plate, and then bolt the two plates together with the tower cross braces between them.

You should be able to do the same thing with the brace poles, although U-bolts may be a better option there.

I suppose I have seen the "extra mast" option. Maybe I'll give that a shot. I just hate trying to find U-bolts that fit properly. Usually there's some stretching and bending involved. Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming. I'll probably go over there on Monday to mount the mast for him.

Ah,

Just back from the pub..........all above are pointing you in the right direction. I would add that there is no need to mount the dish all the way up the tower WHERE IT SWINGS MORE.

You can use 2 x 6 lumber and carriage bolts to make a mount. Thru bolt the mast.....not lags.....to the 2 x 6.

With a tall tower I would consider the code requirement to run 6ga wire from the tower to the common ground bond for the house. NOT ANOTHER GROUNDING THREAD PLZ!)

Good location choice if you can run the cable to the building ok.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)