Mounting Location?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kevin1514

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Seattle
I am planning on ordering DirecTV service for my grandparents and need some help with how the dish should be mounted. They are just getting 2 standard SD receivers and they still install the single lnb dishes in my area.

My problem is my grandparents have vinyl siding and they don't want holes drilled in the siding. They also would prefer not to have holes drilled in their roof and last winter a storm partially blew off their roof. I had looked at putting the dish in the fascia board but from reading posts it seems that is a bad idea, or is it really that bad?

If they were to use a pole mount how much extra does directv charge to do that and how do they run it to the house? Do I need to dig a trench for the cable? Thanks for any help.

The fascia should work for mounting the smaller dish. It is a problem with the Slimline because it is heavier and has a larger area so there will be a higher force from wind. I believe a pole mount is $100 unless there is no other available location.

They/you can look into non-penetrating roof mounts; post mounts or eave mounts; BUT your look angles will determine part of their needs. Do they have clear looks at the proper azimuth from just about ANY possible mount location scenario?

The fascia should work for mounting the smaller dish. It is a problem with the Slimline because it is heavier and has a larger area so there will be a higher force from wind. I believe a pole mount is $100 unless there is no other available location.

Bob,
They charge a $ 100 bucks for a pole mount ???

Kevin,
If a pole mount would work for them, why don't you do the pole yourself for them.
There is a lot of info about how to do them on the site and if you have questions feel free to ask ....

Once you have a location that is clear to the SW, plant the pole (use cement) and then call D* out to do the rest.

IF you would like to dig a trench, the installer would appreciate it, they DO charge to bury lines.

Jimbo

Jimbo, I no longer have my work order (my AT-9 was installed two years ago) but recall that as being the price shown under optional items (I didn't need it).

Kevin, if you install it yourself, you will need a 2 in. OD pole which isn't all that easy to find. A fencing company would be a likely source.

Bob,
They charge a $ 100 bucks for a pole mount ???

Kevin,
If a pole mount would work for them, why don't you do the pole yourself for them.
There is a lot of info about how to do them on the site and if you have questions feel free to ask ....

Once you have a location that is clear to the SW, plant the pole (use cement) and then call D* out to do the rest.

IF you would like to dig a trench, the installer would appreciate it, they DO charge to bury lines.

Jimbo

Or to the southeast, depending upon what part of the country the OP is in.

Or to the southeast, depending upon what part of the country the OP is in.

Correct, thanks iwc, I forget occasionally that just because I point that way, they don't all point that way ...
They all point south at least, to some extent.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)