Mounting mast to a existing pole with a 1000.4 Dish

PKII

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
WV
I have an existing 2.5 diameter fence pole that I use for my FTA dish. I want to mount a Dish Network 1000.4 Eastern Arc dish to this same pole. I was thinking of using a U bolt to attach the base that normally attaches to a roof to this pole. Anyone else do it this way? What size U bolt did you use? Any better idea? :)

Assuming your fence pole is plumb why would you need the original roof base? Simply use 2 or 3 U-bolts and clamp the dish mast directly to your pole.

Assuming your fence pole is plumb why would you need the original roof base? Simply use 2 or 3 U-bolts and clamp the dish mast directly to your pole.
It's plumb. The dish network mast isn't straight. It bends on the end that the dish attaches.

I thought about adding another pole to the other pole and putting the dish network dish above my other FTA dish but I have a 8 foot pole with 3 feet underground and 5 feet above and if I make it any taller I think the wind will make it wobble a lot. If I mount the wall plate (aka roof mount) to the pole behind the FTA dish and motor I think it will be more stable.

Just wanted to get ideas of what other people have done. :)

Last edited:
It's plumb. The dish network mast isn't straight. It bends on the end that the dish attaches.

The original Dish mast is not supposed to be a straight pipe. Only the mast end that normally is attached to the roof base must be vertical (plumb) and that the end that you bolt to your pole with the U-bolts, no need for the roof mount!

Last edited:
I am sorry, if you are going to keep the original Dish mast you DO need to use the roof mount, its the other end of the mast that needs to be vertical.

You got me confused.....if I bolt this mast without the plate its gonna look stupid. Unless I saw off the end that is is curved. Which I'm not doing. Question is how to use the plate. I know how not to use it and mount the dish.

My question is how do I mount that plate to a round pole. What size U bolts? Is there a device I can buy that will make it easy.

Google U-bolt clamps and Muffler clamps and pick the correct clamp size. You may have to drill some new holes in the mount for the proper bolts spacing.

upsss said:
Google U-bolt clamps and Muffler clamps and pick the correct clamp size. You may have to drill some new holes in the mount for the proper bolts spacing.

Bout time someone just answered the guys question with out analyzing his idea.

Another option is to just cut off the straight part of the Dish Network mast. Stick that down inside the other pipe and run a couple bolts throught it. Done that many times

I'll post a photo when I get it done. Still trying to find the correct size U bolt/Muffler clamp. :)

I'll post a photo when I get it done. Still trying to find the correct size U bolt/Muffler clamp. :)

Personally have thought about doing exactly the same thing you are talking about doing. I hope it works and good luck. I would use 2 u-bolts though. one into both the top set of holes and a 2nd one in the bottom set of holes. I would use what ever size ubolt best fits with the ones that exist in the foot you are using.

It looks like eBay has a bunch of u-bolts listed. Also, I would check a local muffler shop and auto parts store.

Personally have thought about doing exactly the same thing you are talking about doing. I hope it works and good luck. I would use 2 u-bolts though. one into both the top set of holes and a 2nd one in the bottom set of holes. I would use what ever size ubolt best fits with the ones that exist in the foot you are using.

That is what I did. (2 U bolts. Top and bottom holes.)

I did finally find the correct size U bolts. 3.5 inch works. No one had the correct size except a local hardware store. Only problem was the size of the bolt was a little too big so I will have to drill out the holes on the mast plate.

I wanted to do it this way because it would make it easier to take back down if I decided I didn't need it any more or to upgrade. Plus the hassle of setting another post in the ground. :)

That is what I did. (2 U bolts. Top and bottom holes.)

I did finally find the correct size U bolts. 3.5 inch works. No one had the correct size except a local hardware store. Only problem was the size of the bolt was a little too big so I will have to drill out the holes on the mast plate.

I wanted to do it this way because it would make it easier to take back down if I decided I didn't need it any more or to upgrade. Plus the hassle of setting another post in the ground. :)

I believe another poster way saying to buy a 7 foot standard galvanized fence post from Home Depot, stick it down inside the 2.5" existing pole, and use 4-5 self tappers spaced on both sides of the pole to prevent rotating or tilting. You also have the option of pipe adapters. But depending on the thickness of the existing pole, it may not support the weight of the dish. We used to use the adapters all the time until Dish got their panties in a tizzy and made it an unapproved part.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIPE-ADAPTE...ntenna_Dish_Mounting_Gear&hash=item27c466e10f

I believe another poster way saying to buy a 7 foot standard galvanized fence post from Home Depot, stick it down inside the 2.5" existing pole, and use 4-5 self tappers spaced on both sides of the pole to prevent rotating or tilting. You also have the option of pipe adapters. But depending on the thickness of the existing pole, it may not support the weight of the dish. We used to use the adapters all the time until Dish got their panties in a tizzy and made it an unapproved part.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIPE-ADAPTE...ntenna_Dish_Mounting_Gear&hash=item27c466e10f

Well since I had another FTA dish with motor on this 2.5 inch I couldn't have tried that option. Thanks anyways.

I have it mounted just have to figure out how to attach the mast supports. After reading the instructions it says there is an optional short mast that doesn't require mast supports but all I have is the long one so its gonna be fun.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)