Status
Please reply by conversation.

icu1954

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
lower alabama
finding my true south sat?

hi to everyone,i want to find my true south satellite.My latitude is 32.2099 My longitude is-88.0823 and i have came up with galaxy28 as my true south,i have a 3 foot ku rig and noticed that G28 is north american ku.Could i pick up a transponder on that sat? if you think i can't,could i use amc3 as my true south? correct me if any of the info i have is wrong:eek:

For set up if you are using a standard definition receiver you are limited to ABC news 11955v on G28 and on AMC3 MTA 11736v. All other transponsders are HD, mpeg4 or 4:2:2 or occasional feeds. There are the Hughes transponders that have an enormous signal, if using these to allign check the receive frequency as they are on 87W, 89w, and 91w

you could use 87w 89w or even 91w....but the key is you need to drive your dish to the satellite you choose using USALS BEFORE you aim your motor there....

ICU,

You are almost dead center between these two satellites. You can therefore use either (or sort of use both).
Here are some of the TPs that I pick up near Omaha, NE. I included the quality readings to indicate which ones are strong for me.
I highlighted the S2 (8PSK) signals in red.

87.0°W AMC 3

11716 MHz HOR 4856 KS/s DVB-S/QPSK FEC 7/8 SL 64% Q 100%

11724 MHz HOR 3675 KS/s DVB-S/QPSK FEC 2/3 SL 64% Q 97%

11736 MHz VER 8332 KS/s DVB-S/QPSK FEC 2/3 SL 65% Q 89%

11744 MHz HOR 3978 KS/s DVB-S/QPSK FEC 3/4 SL 64% Q 76%

11779 MHz VER 2499 KS/s DVB-S/QPSK FEC ½ SL 63% Q 100%

11795 MHz VER 4999 KS/s DVB-S/QPSK FEC 1/2 SL 65% Q 100%

11900 MHz VER 29997 KS/s DVB-S/QPSK FEC 2/3 SL 64% Q 69%

11960 MHz HOR 29267 KS/s DVB-S/QPSK FEC 3/4 SL 64% Q 80%

11988 MHz HOR 9749 KS/s DVB-S/QPSK FEC 5/6 SL 62% Q 77%

12044 MHz VER 3200 KS/s DVB-S/QPSK FEC 2/3 SL 61% 72%

12048 MHz VER 3199 KS/s DVB-S/QPSK FEC 7/8 SL 61% Q 69%

89.0°W GALAXY 28

11746 MHz HOR 5788 KS/s DVB-S2/8PSK FEC ½ SL 65% Q 100%

11760 MHz VER 25997 KS/s DVB-S/QPSK FEC ½ SL 68% Q 98%

11800 MHz VER 26657 KS/s DVB-S/QPSK FEC ¾ SL 67% Q 90%

12055 MHz HOR 6510 KS/s DVB-S/QPSK FEC 3/4 SL 63% Q 80%

12131 MHz VER 10369 KS/s DVB-S/QPSK FEC 3/4 SL 63% Q 63%

12160 MHz VER 29997 KS/s DVB-S/QPSK FEC 7/8 SL 65% Q 86%

12165 MHz HOR 5569 KS/s DVB-S2/8PSK FEC 2/3 SL 60% Q 72%

12195 MHz HOR 2784 KS/s DVB-S/QPSK FEC ¾ SL 60% Q 84%

RADAR

hi radar,am i right about my true south with the longitude and latitude that i came up with...just wanted to be sure?

hi radar,am i right about my true south with the longitude and latitude that i came up with...just wanted to be sure?

ICU,

Yes, you are correct.

Whatever your site location's LONGITUDE coordinate is, that is what your true southern satellite's orbital position should be. Please note however, that this is NOT a mandatory rule, it is the merely the best recommendation.

Since your personal longitude is 88.08°W, your true southern satellite (in an ideal world) would be a satellite at ~88.1°W. Obviously, there isn't a satellite at that precise orbital location, but AMC 3 @ 87.0°W or Galaxy 28 @ 89.0°W are close enough. You may use either.

The closer the satellite's position is to your site's longitude position (in degree numbers) the simpler, quicker and more accurate your installation process will be.

Although it is absolutely possible to use nearly any satellite to align your dish and motor, the further away that satellite is from your true (ideal) southern satellite, the more work and thinking you will be required to do and the more time you will be required to spend. So, try your hardest to pick the satellite that is closest to your true south. The closer you are, the easier your life will be! :)

Also, if the satellite you select to use has many strong TPs which are active all the time (not "come-and-go" feed TPs) all the better for you. It is always nice to know that you can rely upon a specific TP to always be on-line (broadcasting a signal) when you go out to align your dish and motor. You wouldn't want to pick a FEED TP unknowingly and spend an entire afternoon trying to align your dish and motor to a signal that isn't there!

One major point to be stated beyond what I have mentioned above is to ensure that you have ALL your settings absolutely correct before you begin searching for signals and aligning your dish and motor. Improper or incomplete settings are some of the most common errors that are made.

Good luck and happy hunting! :)

RADAR

thanks radar,that is some of the best info a man could receive,that is why i love this site it is the best..have a great day

Radar
How come on 89W you didnt list the ABCNewsNow TP? Thats one of the stronger ones to aim the dish at ;)

hi guys,i will be installing my sg9120 tomorrow,but seems to be a slight problem.In the instructions booklet,there is no settings for my particular location...which is latitude 32.2099 longitude 88.0823 can anyone give me the settings for my motor and my dish for this location?:)

Seems to me you just put yor lat. and long. into the motor menu of your receiver. The USALS program of the receiver does the rest for you.

Radar
How come on 89W you didnt list the ABCNewsNow TP? Thats one of the stronger ones to aim the dish at ;)

Probably just an oversight / error on my part.

I had made up a list of all the TPs I receive from every satellite from 30 W through 127 W and was working on elliminating all but two to four from each satellite - to make a blank channel list for alignment purposes only. I wasn't really finished with this list and hadn't double checked everything. What I posted was just what I had completed at the time.

RADAR

latitude / longitude set up

i would like to know how to enter my latitude and longitude in my receiver..my latitude is 32.2099 and my longitude is-88.0823...this is for my motor set up...what i am asking is how many of these numbers do i enter?

icu1954 said:
i would like to know how to enter my latitude and longitude in my receiver..my latitude is 32.2099 and my longitude is-88.0823...this is for my motor set up...what i am asking is how many of these numbers do i enter?

Depends on your receiver brand and model. Some receivers allow only a single digit to the right of the decimal while others require two or three. You may also need to add a leading zero.

You may only learn by trial and error....

need help BAAAAAAD....dish elevation settings

hi guys i just installed a sg9120b motor on my 3 foot dish,i can't get the elevation set for the dish.I am aim at 89 west and the abc news now transponder.My latitude is 32.2099 longitude-88.0823,can some one figure my dish settings?:confused:

I merged 4 of your threads together. SInce we're working with the same thing (setting up your motorized system) please keep it all in one thread. It makes it much easier for folks to follow and help.

The post above mine here the questions you've asked have been answered 2 or 3 times already in what was other threads you created.

Also I have a question. Your location in profile says "lower Alabama" yet the coordinates you posted (32.2N 88W) puts you just outside of Wheeling, WV. UNless thats where you are, putting the wrong coordinates in the menu for USALS will screw everything up ;)

Also I have a question. Your location in profile says "lower Alabama" yet the coordinates you posted (32.2N 88W) puts you just outside of Wheeling, WV. UNless thats where you are, putting the wrong coordinates in the menu for USALS will screw everything up ;)

my google maps must really be hosed because I redid it and you're right....it is Alabama...just west of Montgomery. Wheeling is at 40N 80W...so that is weird

I apologize for the confusion

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)