Moved a couple miles and now no local channels...HELP!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
O.K. I have the Philips DSX-5500 DirecTV receiver, I have an oval dish with 3 LNB's, and I'm not sure what kind of multiswitch I have but it has four possible lines that could come out of it. Anything else you guys need to know tell me and I'll find out.

I am inclined to agree with HEMI. Even if it worked fine before your move it could have been damaged by it or else possibly the center conductor was too long and shorted out that lnb. There is one thing you could try to make sure and that is switching cables just to confirm that it is the 119 lnb and not a bad cable. But lnb's aren't the worst
expense in the world.
Good luck and
let us know how you do.

Thanks guys, I'm not sure what you mean by try switching cables because all the cables go to the built in multi-switch don't they? Any ways I tried everything I could think of last night and nothing, so I'm going to order and LNB and let you know how it works.

Put in new 3 LNB and it didnt work. I reset the receiver and still no locals. I then did the auto satellite detect and it selected the one LNB with a circle dish again. PLEASE HELP! I am getting a complete 0 reading for 110 and 119, what could this be, I don't see anything that could be giving me a 0 reading in the way!

I just had my uncle (who is an electrician) run a brand new line all the way from the dish to the receiver but I will try your theory too. I will try anything. Would a bad coax line cause only the 110 and 119 not to come in. I mean I am getting a 94 signal of the 101 signal, this doesn't make sense to me?

So I guess I would have to take the LNB apart to get to the lines to the multiswitch? But even if my 110 and 119 are blocked by something is it possible for them both the be at a complete 0 even when I'm getting a 94 from the 101?

110 is dead straight from the dish and lower on horizon. 119 is even lower on horizon and the hardest one to get. So a blockage could knock out 110 and 119 but see 101.

Thanks I'll give it a try again. One more question is that could it be a problem that I changed zip codes from 18201 to 18202? I did change it in the dish, didn't know if that mattered.

I guess this is ONE reason to have the protection plan.Then Directv would be doing this and you could be watchen tv by now. 18202 is Scranton Wilkes-barre Locals.Is that what you had before? If so then it should not make a difference. You get the same locals as I. If you have a New Wire and New LNB. Then borrow someones Receiver that lives in your area and try it at your house.Then you would be able to see if it is a receiver problem.Set it to read a 3lnb Dish,Don't even bother to do auto detect,it a waste of time. If you get a signal on all your satellites ,then you know your receiver is junk.If that still doesn't work ,Cut down the tree branch or bush that is hanging around the front of your dish.:D

I agree with HEMI that in your case you should have had it installed by
D*. But after looking over all your posts I have 2 questions.
1. Did you aim it properly and how do you know it is aimed properly AND no trees in the way?
2.You should have 4 lines coming from your 3 lnb's to your multiswitch.Unless I'm mistaken in one of your posts you say you have only one line? If so you will never get the other satellites.
It may well be that your system just needs the proper lines and aim but for anyone to help you we have to have all the details and complete story.
Sorry for all your troubles but this case really cries out for a professional installation.

Well I aimed it according to the alignment the receiver told me when to, once it was set to its specifications for my zip code I then just tweeked it some to get the strongest signal. I achieved a signal of 94 but only on 101. It is placed in the middle of my house due to the way it is shaped and the available space to place the satellite. The landlord does not want it on the roof because it if a brand new roof. So it is off of the back corner of the house, appx 15 feet off the ground. Once again I have the 3 LNB oval dish and a Phillips receiver. I am only running one receiver from the dish. In my previous post I might have been mistaken but I have the 3 LNB dish with a built in multi switch so if there should be four there are four running to it. I also just bought a new one to see if that was the problem and I had the same results. From the multiswitch I have one coax wire freshly ran into my house to my receiver. When I set the reciever up on auto detect, for my dish type, it comes up with the 1 LNB circle dish, after its through. Can this be because the other two LNB's aren't getting a signal because of the dish's placement or is there another problem on why this is occurring. That is where I am right now, this weekend I will try and take some pictures of where my satellite dish is and a shot showing what could be in its way.

P.S. How do I upload pictures to this thread?

A close-up picture would help but I don't know how to upload it either on this site. But to narrow down the problem I suspect the lines from the lnb's to the multiswitch. Some may be corrioded or water wicked. And as you know 101 works try switching it to another satellite lnb for a test. The other thing is if any part of the dish is blocked you won't ever get them all. If you can narrow all that down and are sure it all is okay then as HEMI suggests the only thing left is to try your receiver at a friends house .
To be honest without test instruments and being there I am at a loss to be able to help you more and maybe some other members can try.Good luck!

Here are some pictures of the setup

I attached some pictures of where the dish is pointing. Let me know.

Attachments

• sat1.jpg
    sat1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 114
  • sat2.jpg
    sat2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 115
  • sat3.jpg
    sat3.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 109
A close-up picture would help but I don't know how to upload it either on this site. But to narrow down the problem I suspect the lines from the lnb's to the multiswitch. Some may be corrioded or water wicked. And as you know 101 works try switching it to another satellite lnb for a test. The other thing is if any part of the dish is blocked you won't ever get them all. If you can narrow all that down and are sure it all is okay then as HEMI suggests the only thing left is to try your receiver at a friends house .
To be honest without test instruments and being there I am at a loss to be able to help you more and maybe some other members can try.Good luck!

He isn't running a separate multiswitch, just the one built into the lnb assembly.

The site is doing maintenance so I can't look at the larger pictures. But, the thumbnails don't look like there is enough tilt for your location. I just tried the full size images. I still don't think there's enough tilt.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)