'Moved' and can't get new locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

faithern

Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
orlando
Hi there. Trying to get Miami (or West Palm Beach) locals - did this in past. So, called last night and changed address to zip 33026 (from orlando area 32746). Went thru setup and changed zip on receiver. Tried resetting the receiver - see Miami locals (channel numbers) in the guide, but get searching for satellite message. Woke up this morning stoked 'cos I could see the channels just fine. But now I'm bummed 'cos they're gone again. What gives? I must be within range or I wouldn't have been able to see them this morning, right? How could they appear/disappear like that? Address on D* site is correctly set to 33026. Any help would be appreciated.

Faith

Funny that you said that, because here is what I have to report from this morning. I once again had the locals this morning after running through setup again last night (and only having searching for satellite after doing so last night). However, this morning I did notice the picture wasn't quite there all the time - kind of like when there's a storm outside. So, I was gonna ask if that means I'm just barely within range of the spotbeam? If so, would it help to get the West Palm Beach locals instead of the Miami locals, as that is about 60 miles closer to me? Or is the spotbeam range the same? I will call D* ASAP and change my address to a WPB address if you think it will work - let me know....Thanks, Faith

Funny that you said that, because here is what I have to report from this morning. I once again had the locals this morning after running through setup again last night (and only having searching for satellite after doing so last night). However, this morning I did notice the picture wasn't quite there all the time - kind of like when there's a storm outside. So, I was gonna ask if that means I'm just barely within range of the spotbeam? If so, would it help to get the West Palm Beach locals instead of the Miami locals, as that is about 60 miles closer to me? Or is the spotbeam range the same? I will call D* ASAP and change my address to a WPB address if you think it will work - let me know....Thanks, Faith

I am pretty sure the Miami hd channels are on 99s, transponders 15 and 23. WPB is also on 99s, transponders 11 and 21. Check your signal strength for them. If they are below 70, that is likely your problem.

I do not know if this will work on D* I sub to E*. I live in Jacksonville and I receive Miami locals. I had to install a one meter dish to do this because I am way out side the footprint. Before the larger dish I had the same problem they were there in the morning but by nightfal they were gone. It was alot of work and cost about 300 bucks for the dish lnb and switches but it works great.

The signal appears and disappears due to satellite wobble. From what I was told the satellite does a figure 8 pattern in space so at times the signal is stronger than other times. You can reset your receiver all you want but with out a bigger dish or living closer to miami you are out of luck.

I do not know if this will work on D* I sub to E*. I live in Jacksonville and I receive Miami locals. I had to install a one meter dish to do this because I am way out side the footprint. Before the larger dish I had the same problem they were there in the morning but by nightfal they were gone. It was alot of work and cost about 300 bucks for the dish lnb and switches but it works great.

The signal appears and disappears due to satellite wobble. From what I was told the satellite does a figure 8 pattern in space so at times the signal is stronger than other times. You can reset your receiver all you want but with out a bigger dish or living closer to miami you are out of luck.

There may be a SLIGHT wobble, but I doubt that is why she can't get the locals where she is.

There may be a SLIGHT wobble, but I doubt that is why she can't get the locals where she is.

That would be true if you are well within the spotbeam footprint. But the further away you get the signal begins to fade. It is stronger at diffrent times of the day because of the figure 8 pattern it follows.

As I stated in my previous post a one meter dish was able to lock the signal all day long. I live over 350 miles from Miami and have not lost the signal in the 2 years since I installed the one meter dish.

That would be true if you are well within the spotbeam footprint. But the further away you get the signal begins to fade. It is stronger at diffrent times of the day because of the figure 8 pattern it follows.

As I stated in my previous post a one meter dish was able to lock the signal all day long. I live over 350 miles from Miami and have not lost the signal in the 2 years since I installed the one meter dish.

I think your success with the larger dish is due to a constantly weak signal being so far out of the center of the footprint rather than one that comes and goes due to the wobble.

I think your success with the larger dish is due to a constantly weak signal being so far out of the center of the footprint rather than one that comes and goes due to the wobble.

Not to mention the fact that he is looking at a different satellite, at a different location in the belt and operated by a different company.

Nevertheless, a larger dish might bring up the signal enough to keep it locked.

Regards, Eric

Last edited:
The larger dish did work for me. The op is in orlando so he is a lot closer to miami than I am. I found it funny that the op had the same problem I had when I "moved". Seems both E* and D* at least on the miami spotbeams have the same signal fluctuation throught out the day.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)