Moved away from Comcast availability, new Satellite... PIP with DirectTV yet?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MacinTek

Original poster
Nov 1, 2010
Fallbrook, CA
Having been with Comcast for 14 years, I moved and they're no longer available. Cable is here but I can't get out-of region feeds like I can with Satellite. So, I have a few questions...
1. Do DirecTV HD DVRs have PIP capability yet? I mean real PIP, not Sat in one and rabbit ears in the other.
2. Are there different dishes from which to choose? I've seen some that appear to have two transceiver things (pardon my newbie-ness) on a single dish?
3. Do Satellite companies (DishNet/DirecTV) use CableCards? If so, how can this help with the PIP issue if the TV has a CableCard slot?
:confused:

1. If you mean PIP'ing 2 live sat feeds at once, no
2. Assuming you're getting HD, you'll get either a Slimline 3 or 5 oval dish, depending on where your locals are
3. not at all & PIP doesn't matter

I have had Comcast and direct! It is a shame you lost Comcast ! They exceed direct by far in all areas!!

Why does D* need PiP ?

Most TV's don't even have it anymore.

I doubt it will be a priority for D* anytime soon, or ever for that matter.

If you "think" want PiP you obviously enjoy multimedia and/or sports, but PiP that is internal to TV sucks major rocks and is virtually useless. Here is what I do: just have two (or more) SAT receivers - connected to separate monitors; in the same media room. Now that is so much better andmuch more useful. 106" main and 42" secondary. PiP is dead.

@BIG; just give it a rest and stop trolling.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about him. I suspect he won't be here much longer anyway.

I installed one job where the customer had required two HD receivers to run PIP.
The results were terrible. The small screen was not up to HD and worked a little better with a SD box.
PIP sucks!

Joe

Should have done like I do; if going with the expense of multiple HD receivers in the same room; might as well spring for the extra HDTV(s); screw PiP. You are dead on Joe; it SUX.

There isn't a way to use Whole Home to do so on Direct. I never had DirecTV, but I thought that you can send a signal to another TV, using Whole Home, if that's true, why not send the signal to another input on your TV and use PIP that way.

There isn't a way to use Whole Home to do so on Direct. I never had DirecTV, but I thought that you can send a signal to another TV, using Whole Home, if that's true, why not send the signal to another input on your TV and use PIP that way.

It doesn't work that way. A video signal isn't sent, it's network packets.

Why are you guys all so anti-PIP.
It was a great feature, and I don't understand why it has been phased out of new TVs.
Its great if you are a sports fan and there are 2 games you want to watch. My Vizio lets me do 50/50 split or just a small screen in the corner. I don't need the small screen to be HD, I just need to be able to monitor a ball game.
Also good, if my wife it demanding to watch some women show like American Idol, and there is a ball game on at the same time. At least I can see what's going on.
Would be great if DTV added it to the DVRs. Why is everyone so against it?

Why are you guys all so anti-PIP.
It was a great feature, and I don't understand why it has been phased out of new TVs.
Its great if you are a sports fan and there are 2 games you want to watch. My Vizio lets me do 50/50 split or just a small screen in the corner. I don't need the small screen to be HD, I just need to be able to monitor a ball game.
Also good, if my wife it demanding to watch some women show like American Idol, and there is a ball game on at the same time. At least I can see what's going on.
Would be great if DTV added it to the DVRs. Why is everyone so against it?

Its pretty much been phased out, it use to be good when you had two SD feeds, they never came up with one that would have 2 HD feeds at one time, not sure why, but I don't think it ever happened.

I had the ultim,ate PIP on a Sony "60 RP that I had.
You had a Split screen, you could go anywhere from 1/2 and 1/2 screen all the way down to full screen and a small box and you were able to zoom at ANY level, so you could adjust to whatever size you wanted.
It was quite fun to play with.
That was the last TV I had that had PIP.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts