'Moved' but still getting old locals

bbeckstrand

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Central CA
Howdy!

I tried searching the forum but didn't find this particular problem....

I've 'moved' (from Fresno County, California to San Jose, CA) and am still getting the Fresno area locals through the dish. Is there a usually delay in getting the new locals? San Jose locals is in the San Francisco DMA.

Before making the change, I *think* I verified that I can see the SF Market satellite signal (signal was weak at about 40, but still green). Since the change, I've tried rebooting the receiver; no joy. Yes, I've gone to view both All Sub and All Channels in the guide. I've noticed that the Fresno DMA locals are still in the 8000-range and not mapped down but no SF locals either in the 8000-range nor the 6000-range.

Do I need to wait more than about the hour since making the change? What more can I check to make sure I can even see the SF locals? Should I get back on the Chat and write to a new CSR? (CSR "Justin V" that did the change first said that he couldn't change the service address because my receiver is leased; but then made the change.)

Anything else I haven't thought of? Thanks, folks!

~~BB

Make sure that you are actually paying the $5.99 for locals on your account. It might have been taken off if you didn't specifically ask to have locals added when you 'moved'.

Unless they changed the system, you need to request the new locals. In the past the change when "moving" was NOT automatic. The RSN would change but not the locals.

Unless they changed the system, you need to request the new locals. In the past the change when "moving" was NOT automatic. The RSN would change but not the locals.

+1

Every time i have moved, I needed to specifically tell them to change my local channels. Once I had to call back after the switch to have them change my locals.

Just call Dish or do it on online chat

Thanks, y'all!

Chatted with a new CSR and got the SF DMA locals. (Well, the "important" ones, anyway. :) )

All is good. (Unless, of course, the local OTA guide information goes away....)

~~BB

Dang!

The only thing that has kept me from moving is that I have been afraid I would lose my current locals. I DO want a different RSN than my local teams but want my locals to stay the same (my NFL team, weather, etc). I may give it a shot now... :up

dont let that hold you up. i had nyc sd locals or at least the big 4 with the cw and my station for a long time and just recnelty had them change back over to cincy. i had the nyc sd locals but 'moved' to vegas for the six baseball teams. the only thing i can warn you of is that wherever you go for an rsn it will put you in that time zone. so if you east but want the rockies while keeping cincy (or whatever your local) you can do that but it will put you in mst bc of the rsn. you have to actualy tell them to put the new local on or they just leave it the old way at lest from my experiance.

I moved recently only for the RSNs to change but I ended up getting all the locals channels switched. Any advice as to what I should say next time to avoid losing the original locals? I had requested just a service address change. I wouldnt mind it if I wasn't out of spotbeam range for the main locals. I guess I got a rep who actually knew what she was doing

What?

They're supposed to change both the RSNs and the locals when you move. I never heard of anybody just changing the RSNs.

It happened to me when I "moved" to Cleveland last month. Dish changed my RSN's to Cleveland, dropped my mapdown locals but did not remove them. I logged in the next night and got a moron that told me that I could not get Cleveland locals until after the first of the year. Then I got a CSR with a brain and got the locals switched over after three tries and four days. Just log back in to chat and keep trying. Good luck.

I had Las Vegas and SF locals both at the same time once for almost a year. I think the standard procedure for "I've moved and want the locals changed" is they only add your new market's locals, they don't get rid of the old ones.

Annoying because when I later got fed up of rhte extra $5/month they wanted $5 to get rid of it XD

Was pretty damn easy to get them to yank that charge, though.

Just for giggles I "moved" to Albequerque this afternoon to see what would happen, and guess what, I still have Kansas City as well. Doesent hurt my feelings a bit cuz now I have a mountain time zone along with KC and my AAD from Atlanta and San Francisco. :up

I plan on moving in the next 6 months, the great thing about my current location is that, even though i am more than 60 miles away i am in Birmingham, AL''s DMA, however, geograhpically i am closer to Huntsville, AL; so i can pull in all of huntsville by antenna, so i basically have 2 full DMA's available to my reciever.

Based on this thread, can i assume if i physically move to Huntsville (even change my billing address), unless i specifically change my locals i can still recieve the Birmingham DMA?

When I moved, they changed my service address, but did not change my local package; which I am happy with, since Dish doesn't provide HD locals where I am. The ONLY downside is that for all practical purposes, the shift in time-zone has me effectively on East Coast time for prime-time; and the 622/722 will not provide OTA program guide data, since it is looking for OTA data from the old locale. I can live with that though. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)