Moved DVR from FL to Ga; DIDN'T WORK

Status
Please reply by conversation.

happiours

Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
Dacula, GA
I took our non HD DVR from FL and hooked it up to a DirectV dish on a house on Dacula GA. When it powered up it said receiving satellite signal but then it stopped at zero for the next info transfer. I couldn't get the menu to get me to system startup. So am I trying something that can't be done? The DVR is active and paid for monthly in FL, so I thought that it would work up there.

The house has an old style dish on the roof, dish with two leads. I just connected one to a device, that had one IN and four OUT places. This is what was there from the "Cable" connection from the previous owner. I disconnected the cable connections and connected one lead from the Directv dish. DO I have to buy a connector that will allow two "IN" connections?

I want to be able to see TV while I work on the house every few months. I am back in FL again, but will be going back up in three days on Thursday Dec 15, and would like to try again. FYI I plan to spend 6 nonths in FL and 6 months in GA every year, so I will eventually have to go legal and "move via Directv" every 6 months.

Thanks

Tom

You need both leads connected.

If the dish isn't relatively enormous, you won't get HD channels. Describing it as "old style" isn't much help. What is helpful is relating model numbers or any words (i.e. Slimline or Phase III) that appear on the face of the dish. Over the years there have been many dishes and even more multiswitches so it is important to be as specific as you can. Otherwise it is kind of like asking someone to help you find your SUV in a mall parking lot without telling them the make or color.

If it is truly an old dish, you'll need to tell the DVR which one it is.

You are supposed to call DIRECTV and tell them that you moved.

You need both leads connected.

If the dish isn't relatively enormous, you won't get HD channels. Describing it as "old style" isn't much help. What is helpful is relating model numbers or any words (i.e. Slimline or Phase III) that appear on the face of the dish. Over the years there have been many dishes and even more multiswitches so it is important to be as specific as you can. Otherwise it is kind of like asking someone to help you find your SUV in a mall parking lot without telling them the make or color.

If it is truly an old dish, you'll need to tell the DVR which one it is.

You are supposed to call DIRECTV and tell them that you moved.

This part depends on how long he's gone, if he's only going for a few days at a time I wouldn't bother, if he's going for like he said months at a time I would call and they can also turn your locals on from the city your in.

Op, yes, we really need more info.

When your at home, what dish are you using ?

Menu/Settings/Info/ More System Info,
Once populated, the second page will have your Dish Type, see what it is, if it's a SWM or not, SL3/5 ?

Are you doing HD, if so and you want HD, you'll need to get a Slimline 3/5 for it to work correctly.

since you say it was cable with 1 IN and 4 OUTS, i am betting you have a regular cable splitter. you need a multiswitch or else you need to run direct to the dish with maybe jut a F Female barrell in to join the sat cable to the cable going to the DVR.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)