Moved: Setup Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

beamed24

Original poster
Sep 7, 2013
PHX, AZ
Hello All,

I recently had to move and did not want to pay the directv moving fee (still in contract year). I was hoping that I could set up my new system at the new house without having to pay for the service technician.

I currently run one receiver, the H21-100. I have no need for multiple TVs.

At my previous house, I had to use a PI and a BBC for my setup. When I moved, I took the PI and BBC thinking I would have to use these at the new place. My new place ended up not having a dish installed, so i got a dish from a friend. It is the SL3K4NR0-02 and appears to be non SWM.

I have tried combing through forums without having to ask, but alas, i cannot figure this one out. I cannot seem to get any signal (i used dishpointer and the receiver to figure out the Tilt, Elevation, and Azimuth.)

Do i need to use both the PI and the BBC? I have it currently set up as Dish to PI, to grounded splitter, to BBC, to receiver. Is this the correct order?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

No ...

You use a PI ONLY with the SWiM set ups, depending on the dish you decided to get.

IF it's a SWiM dish/lnb, use your PI but not the BBC's.

Make sure the mast is plumb, this is critical, your pointing at a set of Sats 22,000 miles away, a slight bit off due to the mast or anything else is HUGE up there.

Yes, from the number you posted, it's a Slimline dish, not Swm.

:welcome to Satelliteguys beamed24!

Just to clarify, you do need the bbc in a non swm setup.

does it matter which coax cable is run from the LNB? It has 4 ports that are all yellow? I am trying to get it set up on the ground before i move it up to the upper part of the house siding.

Thanks Jimbo for all of your answers.

Tested it out and I get the error, "A satellite signal could not be detected. Please check your installation and re-test". Is this because of misalignment or maybe something is wrong with the LNB? I tried two different coax cables from the LNB to the BBC to the receiver. Same error popped up both times.

I set the elevation to 49 and tilt at 106, then used a satellite pointer app to correctly point the dish to the correct azimuth. Maybe i am bad at pointing?

Thanks Jimbo for all of your answers.

Tested it out and I get the error, "A satellite signal could not be detected. Please check your installation and re-test". Is this because of misalignment or maybe something is wrong with the LNB? I tried two different coax cables from the LNB to the BBC to the receiver. Same error popped up both times.

I set the elevation to 49 and tilt at 106, then used a satellite pointer app to correctly point the dish to the correct azimuth. Maybe i am bad at pointing?

Sounds like your just not pointed correctly yet.

Are you using 149° for your azimuth? If so, check your mast for plumb and try again. How are you setting the elevation and skew on the dish? The bracket itself is what you should be using for a guide to line up on the gauge. Don't give up!

Are you using 149° for your azimuth? If so, check your mast for plumb and try again. How are you setting the elevation and skew on the dish? The bracket itself is what you should be using for a guide to line up on the gauge. Don't give up!

I am using the satellite's bracket for tilt and elevation. I guess that could be an error there, as It is not quite clear what denotes the elevation marking. I am using the edge, is that correct?

pic3.jpg

i built a quick base and the satellite is on the ground. I am using 149 for azimuth...

Yup, your elevation is right, at least for starters. How about the azimuth?

Are you sure that elevation is right??? 49-50 seems extremely high for any part of the country, Im east coast and our default is 36. Pretty sure that will cause a major problem... If you post your zipcode Ill punch it in my aim tomorrow morning and post the results.

Are you sure that elevation is right??? 49-50 seems extremely high for any part of the country, Im east coast and our default is 36. Pretty sure that will cause a major problem... If you post your zipcode Ill punch it in my aim tomorrow morning and post the results.

Yes, i am in 85083. I put that into my receiver and it says 49 degrees elevation, 106 tilt, 149 Azimuth. the 106 tilt seems extreme though, it seems as if the dish is turning sideways, but i assume this is normal.

I used dishpointer.com to get the general direction for azimuth, then used my cell phone app with GPS to searh for th 100.8 satellite and get it pointed better

106° for the skew means to set it 16° to the left of straight up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts