Moved to Directv from Dish Network

Why did you switch from Dish Network to Directv?

• Customer service is horrible

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Contracts disputes (drop of channels)

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • Equipment fees

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • Directv's promotion was too good to pass

Votes: 20 20.0%
  • All of the above

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • Other

Votes: 21 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Dude I have been absolutely happy! Zero complaints, aside from not having epix and XM, Directv has completely blown my expectations out of the water. Night and Day difference.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I hear that DISNEYs contract with DIRECTV was just recently renewed, which is why Disney is recommending them.

Scott posted this in the one of the cable forums. :)

Here's a couple of questions...

I have a prewired house and Dish just used my lines that are already run. Will Direct basically do the same thing when they do their install?

Also, did the MSG & MSG+ dispute with the NHL ever get resolved so they can show NHL games in HD on Directv? Thanks for the reply's!

I like my D* set-up so far but I do have to admit I'm having an issue: I can't use on demand. When I try to select a program it says "would you like to add this channel?" instead of adding it to queue. Tech support says this is a known issue and engineering is working on it. The HR24 and H24 are awesome and I can finally see HD content on my 2nd HD TV.

Was having this same issue, called repeatedly, one tech agent transferred me to a special "on demand" dept. That dept. was able to fix the issue.

I had mentioned to that dept. of needing to change my HR24-100 to a HR100-500 within their system (heard this from fellow SatGuy members). The agent said " Oh, I know what you mean by that" and within a minute On Demand was working.

Good Luck.

Here's a couple of questions...

I have a prewired house and Dish just used my lines that are already run. Will Direct basically do the same thing when they do their install?

Also, did the MSG & MSG+ dispute with the NHL ever get resolved so they can show NHL games in HD on Directv? Thanks for the reply's!

Yes to the prewire question. When I got my house I was the first owner and the house was already prewired and had cable box on the side of the house. The D* installer simply ran the cables from the dish to the cable box and connected the wire in the box to those already running through the house.

On the MSG/MSG+ dispute, yes about mid April the issue was resolved and those games started appearing in HD on NHL CI. Of course customers in the local DMA always had access to the HD since the dispute wasn't with D*.

Just made the order to Directv! My relationship with Dish will officially end on August 7, 2010.

I'm a little nervous but from reading everybody else's comments that came from Dish, I think I will really enjoy it. I ordered two HD-DVR's and wrote a message to the installer to bring two HR24's..:D

The HR24 has made the decision easier for many to switch. I know the only thing holding me back was the super slow response of the HRs before the 24.

Dish Network is nickel and diming their customers to death. The receiver fees are outrageous.

Believe it or not, DirecTV paid me $600 in credits and freebies to move over to DTV. Sorry, Dish I love ya, but not $600 worth!

My picture quality has also gone up quite a bit as a bonus. Glad I left .. may check back with Dish in about two years though.

I moved to dish for one reason only MVR. I was with dish for 8 years. A few pros and cons of my move so far.

Pros:
Installer recognized a problem with my dish location pointing directly at a telephone pole. (no wonder I kept having loss of signal with dish).
My new HR24 blows my old 612 dvr out of the water. (I would not have switched without the HR24) (but where is the optical digital output??) Kind of surprised that is missing).
Picture quality is supurb to Dish (definately a reson worth changing).

Cons:
The online scheduler from remote (my work computer) does not come close to matching dish's sling technology. You cannot search for movies, you have to to page through the whole guide and hope you find something you like to record.

Not bad to have only one con. Customer service between both are the same. (they both are bad).

For me it was an upgrade to HD. I wanted HD dvr capability in two rooms without having to purchase an add'l HD dvr. Mvr made that possible with the bonus of on demand and streaming media from my server. The best buy $350 gift card rebate was an added bonus. Awesome deal. Loving it so far.

We've been DirecTV subscribers since 1/21/2009, loving every minute of it. The reason why we switched from Dish Network to DirecTV because I've bought my first HDTV set (19 inch which I've gave to my brother since I've bought my second HDTV set which is a 32 inch last March just in time for Dancing with The Stars) back in late-2008 and I wanted to upgrade to HD. My stepfather checked on Dish Network's HD package (I've really like DirecTV HD Package better), but Dish wants us to charge them $100 to upgrade to HD, so we said so-long Dish, hello DirecTV on January 21, 2009 .

What I like about DirecTV is the Local on the 8's on The Weather Channel, Active section, more HD channels, The 101 Network, and D* has TVOne, PBS Kids Sprout, 101 Network, E* doesn't have those. We subscribed to the Choice Xtra package, my brother enjoys Boomerang which Dish Network doesn't have it on their AT200 package, nor Cooking Channel (formerly Fine Living), nor Nicktoons Network, nor Discovery Kids, nor GAC, nor CNBC World, nor Sleuth, nor Chiller, and nor VH1-Classic. Plus at the time, DirecTV has The N (now TeenNick) and Noggin (now Nick Jr.) as separate 24/7 channels, Dish was still broadcasting it part-time 12/7. Gotta love Degrassi, too bad Miriam McDonald left the show, it's not the same without her :(

Dish Network is notorious for having national/local channel disputes, like with ESPN Classic in 2002 (the latter was moved to sports pack in both providers), Viacom in 2004, OLN (now Versus) in 2005, Lifetime in 2006 as a reasult they moved LMN to AT250 package until 2008, Court TV (now TruTV) in 2007, even almost taken off our local ABC affiliate due to the disputes in 2005 with Sinclair Broadcasting Group. Plus they were not permitted to deliver distant network feeds in 2006 due to a court order against CBS inc. vs. Echostar, which the injuction was in effect, they had All-American Direct to deliver distant network feeds as a result, I think it was a SHVERA thing. Now they provide the distants in exchange for missing local channels on Dish. Also, the disputes aren't over after I switched from Dish to DirecTV. On the Dish side, they tried to dump The Weather Channel infavor of The Weather Cast until the dispute was resolved days later, they taken away HD feeds of Disney Channel, Disney XD, ESPN News, and ABC Family on Dish Network's HD lineup. I'm glad I'm with DirecTV, not my problem anymore.

They got HD locals from my area on DirecTV (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, two PBS stations, and The CW). Dish only has ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX in HD in my area.

After 7 years of subscribing to Dish with upper-end packages (Everything Pack, TurboHD Gold, and AT250 or whatever that started out as) I switched to DirecTV last month for a few reasons:

- The HR24 finally presented a decent choice for DirecTV for receiver usability (I'm spoiled coming from the ViP series)
- DirecTV matched Dish's FreeHD for Life promotion
- MRV allowed me to bump up to 4 recording tuners and I can watch HD programming on all TVs. This is huge!
- The new subscriber discounts were too deep to pass up (referral, FreeHD, $29 first year / $14 second year, etc)

As a NHL Center Ice subscriber, it was easy to give Dish a pass on part-time RSNs in previous years because so many games simply weren't being produced in HD. Last year it just got too frustrating with how many HD games Dish missed that my friends with DirecTV had. People say DirecTV is the obvious choice for sports, but when I started out down this road it was only Dish who was showing both home and away games on Center Ice. HD is a game changer, so much so that I subscribed to satellite service from our northern neighbors to add more games in HD.

I honestly thought Dish would start addressing their HD RSN coverage before the start of next season, but the final straw for me was seeing they added more HD PPV channels after the last couple satellite launches and are still broadcasting some games with HD coverage in SD only. When the Charlie Chat said "maybe next year we'll have more HD on RSNs" that sealed the deal for me signing up for DirecTV.

Great thread. I am one Dish CS call away from leaving them. Their fees and CS is awful. The reps don't even try to be polite to long time high content subscribers. They are awful.

I'll see how my current issue goes and keep my eye on D*. I'm glad Charlie wasn't able to buy D* and screw up it's CS as well...

Huh, Charlie said maybe next year again??
I have stuck with DISH through this MLB debacle. I sub to NHLCI and change my address for my MLB team in the summer. DISH will lose a 4 year sub here if I can swing a deal for a HR22 and Have 10 mos remaining since I upgraded to a flaky remote 722K.

Making the switch tomorrow; had directv for 8 years but a move and a "tiff" I had with directv personnel made me switch to dish. Well, that two years is up and time to get back. Very impressed by the packages, MVR, SWIM (finally) and new reviews for the HR24s.

WIll probably be an a$% tomorrow to ensure I get two HR24 and 1 H24; will not accept equipment unless I get the newest gear. We'll see how it goes.

I put in the "notes to the installer" box to make sure he brings two HR24's when he comes this Sat for my new install.

I was wondering if there is a certain standard receiver that is better then the other or all of those about the same?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)