moved to E*

mikley28

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
San Leandro, CA
FWIW...

I switched to E* and got the everything pack, a 942 and 811 receivers. The installer was a tech who worked for Dish. When he was finished we started shooting the sh*t about the Future Xbox, and HD stuff and i think he let something leak. I told him that I am going to miss the HD Content from Voom, he replied "Don't worry you will get them back next year. Dish and DirectTv both signed a contract to aquire Voom's programming." Maybe the managers at E* arnt as clueless as they all want us to beleive.

Do you really think that an installer would know this before a press release or an "insider"?

ksload said:
Do you really think that an installer would know this before a press release or an "insider"?

No, but there usually is an NDA on these types of things. If they have a company wide memo, which would be well before a press release, may have leaked when some executive's admin assistant used the wrong email list and sends a message to the whole company. They would this if they type the message in the To: field of their email client and a word in the message was "all". It is hard to beleive but it happens. Being in a computer support position you many people who don't know basic use of email and only know how to use powerpoint. There are things I have known a year prior to a press release at the company I worked for.

A memo like this would technically be covered by an NDA and that would mean your "insider" would lead you to beleive there is nothing going on when there really is.

I just posted what he told me, you can beleive it or not, it really doesn't matter to me.

It is highly unlikely that he would know something....but considering the merry-go-round atmosphere concerning VOOM programming...ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is possible.....and considering that E* bought VOOM's bird....makes it more of a possibility....

mikley28 said:
FWIW...

I switched to E* and got the everything pack, a 942 and 811 receivers. The installer was a tech who worked for Dish. When he was finished we started shooting the sh*t about the Future Xbox, and HD stuff and i think he let something leak. I told him that I am going to miss the HD Content from Voom, he replied "Don't worry you will get them back next year. Dish and DirectTv both signed a contract to aquire Voom's programming." Maybe the managers at E* arnt as clueless as they all want us to beleive.
You know, different strokes for different folks. I could junk most of the Voom HD channels and be happy. I enjoyed Voom's programming and service but as far as the lowere channels Kung Fu and equator was about all I watched. If I had to pay a premium for those 21 channels I would probably leave them off. DirectV gets ~10.50 extra for HD. to me that is like 10.50 for one channel. Directv is out to screw their customers not provide a service. I'm waiting to see what Dish has to offer or VOOM 2 has to offer.

I would just like Vooms PQ. TNT HD didnt look quite the same coming from the 811. Maybe the 942 looks better

Im just waiting for that SBC DVR to be released

mindstein said:
DirectV gets ~10.50 extra for HD. to me that is like 10.50 for one channel. Directv is out to screw their customers not provide a service. I'm waiting to see what Dish has to offer or VOOM 2 has to offer.
Why should either dtv or dn raise their HD package rates? I think $9.99 - $10.99 is a fair price to pay for: ESPN, TNT, Universal, HDNET, HDNET Movies, and VOOM21. Dish already has the compasity to carry Universal & VOOM21 on the 61.5 location using the voom sat and Directv should have the compasity to carry VOOM21 on Spaceway1 that just recently launched. Neither of these company's have any excuse to not offer more HD.

danielle_s said:
Why should either dtv or dn raise their HD package rates? I think $9.99 - $10.99 is a fair price to pay for: ESPN, TNT, Universal, HDNET, HDNET Movies, and VOOM21. Dish already has the compasity to carry Universal & VOOM21 on the 61.5 location using the voom sat and Directv should have the compasity to carry VOOM21 on Spaceway1 that just recently launched. Neither of these company's have any excuse to not offer more HD.
E* doesn't own Rainbow-1 yet. If the FCC approves the sale, they will in the next few months.

E* also has AMC-15 at 105 and AMC-16 at 85 degrees that will come online sometime this year. Until then, E* doesn't have the capacity to add any significant amount of HD.

Spaceway-1 will come online sometime this Fall, and D* has it slated for the first round of Local HD programming for the top 12 markets.

Everyone around here knows that unless the FCC denies the sale of the sat to E* then cvc will just either let it sit up there and rot or they will seek out another buyer. Seriously though if VOOM is gone then there would be no reason that E* can't have the sat right? With that sat then E* will have no excuse. I did not say that E* already owned that sat, did I? I merely stated a fact that with that sat they have no excuse. As for spaceway1, I seriously doubt that Spaceway1 wouldn't be able to handle the 12 markets plus the voom21 channels. I mean think about it. Number of average channels per market = 7. 7x12=84 plus voom21 comes out to be 105 channels. This does sound resonable to me.

danielle_s said:
Everyone around here knows that unless the FCC denies the sale of the sat to E* then cvc will just either let it sit up there and rot or they will seek out another buyer. Seriously though if VOOM is gone then there would be no reason that E* can't have the sat right? With that sat then E* will have no excuse. I did not say that E* already owned that sat, did I? I merely stated a fact that with that sat they have no excuse. ...
There may be some arrangement possible where CVC could rent the Rainbow-1 transponders to E* until the FCC approves the sale. In that case, your scenario is valid.

ksload said:

Sorry just had to... Do you still need the press release? Apparently installers don't know anything. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)