Moved to Western ARC now DC locals in HD are gone

I just got off the phone with Dish. They are going to send someone out here and try again. But this is going to take two days. So I will be without the major networks for at least two days. Luckily, there is nothing really on this time of year. Hopefully they will send someone out earlier in the day instead of five minutes from sundown so there is time to implement something proper. Hopefully, they will also bring a ladder. What a run around.

I just got off the phone with Dish. They are going to send someone out here and try again. But this is going to take two days. So I will be without the major networks for at least two days. Luckily, there is nothing really on this time of year. Hopefully they will send someone out earlier in the day instead of five minutes from sundown so there is time to implement something proper. Hopefully, they will also bring a ladder. What a run around.

A 'tech' came to your house for service work without a ladder? Seriously?

Reactions: HipKat
A 'tech' came to your house for service work without a ladder? Seriously?

He actually did bring a ladder this last time. However, it wasn't tall enough despite the work order specifically stating what size was needed. But even if he had the proper ladder, he came too late to do it (again).

I did exactly that a couple of years ago to "future proof" my configuration. It remains the best thing to do regardless of which Hopper you have.

I would be curious to know which satellites channels like ESPN, USA, FOXNEWS ...etc are being serviced from. If under your configuration they are coming from 61.5 instead of 110,119 or 129, this setup won't help me because it will be basically what I already had. If, however, only my locals will come from 61.5, than that's exactly what I am looking for.

I would be curious to know which satellites channels like ESPN, USA, FOXNEWS ...etc are being serviced from. If under your configuration they are coming from 61.5 instead of 110,119 or 129, this setup won't help me because it will be basically what I already had. If, however, only my locals will come from 61.5, than that's exactly what I am looking for.

It won't help you necessarily, but it won't hurt you either. You'll just get those channels like you always have and without looking won't know nor will it matter which bird they're coming from

It won't help you necessarily, but it won't hurt you either. You'll just get those channels like you always have and without looking won't know nor will it matter which bird they're coming from

Doesn't it matter? The whole reason that I am in this situation is due to my low signal on 61.5. Since dish has moved so many channels from 72 to 61, I am having difficulty receiving most. The funny part, some transponders are better than others. So the goal is to get everything from the western ARC and just the HD locals from 61.5.

Reactions: JSheridan
Doesn't it matter? The whole reason that I am in this situation is due to my low signal on 61.5. Since dish has moved so many channels from 72 to 61, I am having difficulty receiving most. The funny part, some transponders are better than others. So the goal is to get everything from the western ARC and just the HD locals from 61.5.

I hear what you're saying. In any situation some transponders are just better than others. Where, Say 129 transponder 21 is hitting 57 transponder for 12 might only be hitting 51 for example. I can totally understand wanting to get to the stronger signal.i'm still not exactly sure how it decides which bird to pull channels from when you're heading to with the same package on them. Does it use the prevalent LNBF or does it use the stronger signal I wonder?

That is exactly the reason why I added the wing dish a couple of years ago, because at the time my locals in HD were only on the 61.5. There were also some channels of modest interest that were only on the 61.5 at the time. When I added the wing dish I got exactly what you aspire to, western arc with the HD locals from the 61.5. As HipKat said, it doesn't really matter which satellite the channels are coming from. It only matters that you're receiving them.

Reactions: HipKat
That is exactly the reason why I added the wing dish a couple of years ago, because at the time my locals in HD were only on the 61.5. There were also some channels of modest interest that were only on the 61.5 at the time. When I added the wing dish I got exactly what you aspire to, western arc with the HD locals from the 61.5. As HipKat said, it doesn't really matter which satellite the channels are coming from. It only matters that you're receiving them.

But look at this scenario. If I have western ARC and 61.5. USA, for example, is on both. The transponder 61.5 that contains USA is weak at best. It comes in goes. If the priority is to get that channel from 61.5 once 61.5 is in the mix, I will not be able to get USA.

But look at this scenario. If I have western ARC and 61.5. USA, for example, is on both. The transponder 61.5 that contains USA is weak at best. It comes in goes. If the priority is to get that channel from 61.5 once 61.5 is in the mix, I will not be able to get USA.

Just curious, why is your 61.5 signal so bad?

Just curious, why is your 61.5 signal so bad?

Its a line of site issue. I'm an 18 year customer. I moved here 7 years ago and that install should have never been placed where it is. The signal on some transponders has been under 18% ever since. I have had Dish come out a few times to fix it. Each time everyone agrees the dish should be moved to the roof or to the side of the house. But each time the tech has come too late in the day or has come without a ladder so you have to reschedule. Since each reschedule is a day off of work and mostly all channels were on 72, it wasn't as big an issue to make me keep pushing Dish. Now that everything I watch is 61.5 and now these channels are on and off not working, I am trying to get the issue fixed.

Its a line of site issue. I'm an 18 year customer. I moved here 7 years ago and that install should have never been placed where it is. The signal on some transponders has been under 18% ever since. I have had Dish come out a few times to fix it. Each time everyone agrees the dish should be moved to the roof or to the side of the house. But each time the tech has come too late in the day or has come without a ladder so you have to reschedule. Since each reschedule is a day off of work and mostly all channels were on 72, it wasn't as big an issue to make me keep pushing Dish. Now that everything I watch is 61.5 and now these channels are on and off not working, I am trying to get the issue fixed.
A line of site issue? My wing dish pointing to the 61.5 has a considerable elevation, but I'm on the east coast. Could your wing dish be slightly mis-aligned? Anyway, I vaguely seem to recall from a number of years ago someone posting here that you could select which satellite provides you with the signals.

I sympathize with you for the bad experiences you've had with these techs. I don't understand not being equipped and feel every tech should have a 12', give or take and 28', give or take, ladder always and access to a 40" Ladder that can be deployed withing a day or 2 of the original appointment. Just my opinion, but being unprepared for basic functions is not acceptable, to me.

A line of site issue? My wing dish pointing to the 61.5 has a considerable elevation, but I'm on the east coast. Could your wing dish be slightly mis-aligned? Anyway, I vaguely seem to recall from a number of years ago someone posting here that you could select which satellite provides you with the signals.

There is definitely a line of site issue with 61.5. If you use the phone app the tech uses to locate the satellite you can see a building in the way of the satellite. Like I said, the original installer did the wrong setup years ago. And I have been trying since to get this fixed ever since.

Haven't there been posts here stating Dish no longer allows working on roofs? Is the ladder just used to stand on for gables or edge mounts?

Reactions: TheKrell
Haven't there been posts here stating Dish no longer allows working on roofs? Is the ladder just used to stand on for gables or edge mounts?

In my situation, they have a choice. They could do either. The tech said it should go on the roof. He just failed to do it. Didn't say anything about Dish not allowing roof installs. Plus, that would likely eliminate a lot of customers.

My Columbus locals are on 129 so I could get by with only western arc. But I have a strong signal from 61.5. All of the content on 61.5 is MPEG 4 while the SD content on eastern arc is MPEG 2.

MPEG 4 takes up less Hard Drive storage since it uses better compression. Before the carbon interface you were able to display which satellite was being used. My old Hopper with Sling receivers used 61.5 for SD content instead of 110. I believe that 61.5 had a stronger signal than 110 but I can't confirm that. It definitely did not populate duplicate channels from both satellites. Perhaps somebody can comment what criteria the receiver uses to decide which satellite is used.

My 129 spot beam that has my HD locals does not have a great signal. Whenever I have a heavy rain, I will lose my HD locals and the receiver will automatically switch to the SD locals on the satellite 119. So it may be related to signal strength.
Just so you are aware, the Columbus, Ohio SD locals are also on 129, not 119.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts