"moved' tonight to escape north east black out on NHL network for Flyers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

peelpub94

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
So I'm in 11706 - Long Island, NY. Was blacked out of the Devils@Flyers game on NHLN tonight. I called in and "moved" to 28791 Hendersonville, NC. The game was no longer blacked out. I no longer have channel 2, 5 and the high 300s local channels are all screwed up.

I redid the satellite setup and put in my 'new' zip code. Still same issues. So does this zip not get local channels like my 11706 zip?

How long should I wait until I "move back" ?

once you move you get new locals which in most cases (NY & LA are the exception) are on spotbeam which only goes 200 miles max. NY & LA are on CONUS (whole US)

interesting that you picked Hendersonville...got relatives that live there ;)

interesting that you picked Hendersonville...got relatives that live there ;)

Ironic, so do I. That's where I got the street name and house number from, someone on their block :)

Do they question you? Or can you just ask to be moved back no questions asked? Should I come up with some crazy story?

As always, thanks for the quick reply.

once you move you get new locals which in most cases (NY & LA are the exception) are on spotbeam which only goes 200 miles max. NY & LA are on CONUS (whole US)

Can you elaborate on this? I'm confused.

both Dish and Direct put locals on spotbeams. This allows them to reuse the transponder for more than one area. Spotbeams work about 200 miles from the main city so as example Minneapolis locals cover most of MN. If you are in Oklahoma you can't get Minneapolis locals. SO the same transponder on Directv could be used to carry say Miami, Cleveland, Minneapolis, Dallas, Denver, Seattle and San Diego locals. Depending on where you are, that is what locals you'll get

Since D* can still sell distants to those who qualify, NY & LA re CONUS....like ESPN, CNN, TBS etc...no matter where you live if the address qualifies for distants you could get them.

Since you gave them a Hendersonville address they changed the locals. When I use that zip I get
Yes! Local channels are available in your area: Greenville-Spartanburg SC-Asheville NC 28791

so they changed the locals to Greenville.....and obviously you're too far away to get them

Hey everyone,

I need some help. I live on Long Island (NY) and want to get the local channels for Connecticut. Exactly what do I need to do?

Is it as simple as just picking some random address in Connecticut using google maps or do I need a relative there to verify it in some way.

I'd like to keep the bill address the same and only change the "physical address".....is this possible.

Please walk me through the process. Thanks for your assistance.

P.S.
Second question.....Once I do this (if I can), Can I just keep it like that or is there some reason why I should switch it back soon after the game? I don't care about local channels, as I worked out free basic cable within my internet and phone setup.

Can you actually do this without Direct catching on? It would be cool to get locals from another city. I see problems arising with billing though. If you want to stay in the local spot beam though you could only move so far.

I've "moved" twice now in 6 months :)

As long as I stay within the spotbeam I have no issues

Interesting could I still have my bill sent to my current address and use the move address for just like a vacation home?

Hey everyone,

I need some help. I live on Long Island (NY) and want to get the local channels for Connecticut. Exactly what do I need to do?

Is it as simple as just picking some random address in Connecticut using google maps or do I need a relative there to verify it in some way.

I'd like to keep the bill address the same and only change the "physical address".....is this possible.

Please walk me through the process. Thanks for your assistance.

Assuming you're in the spot beam for CT locals (and you probably are on LI) - you need a CT real address. It can be a Hardees or Motel 6, but it has to a) exist and b) not already have service there. Something like a McDonalds address with 'Apartment 12' appended ought to ensure it won't already be in D*'s system.

As far as changing, you call and get a CSR and tell them you need to change your service address, and that you want to leave your billing address where it is. That's it. The change will propogate out in a few minutes and your receivers will start having the new locals.

Bear in mind this is now where D* thinks your dish is - so if you need a service call, D* would roll the truck to the CT McD's, not your house. So make sure you understand that.

As far as D* verifying anything, I've had my service address moved for six years and they have never said a word.

I have an RV and want HD networks nationwide. If I moved to LA, would I be able to get their locals nationwide in HD or do I need to go the DNS route.

What spotbeam covers New England?? And what cities are on that beam I'm in Rhode Island I know I would get Providence locals but didn't know what other cities are available to me? And Are Ny and La the only locals on a conus beam too?? Thanks

that is an old map unless you want SD only

I assume most of the New England locals (various cities) would be available in RI

that is an old map unless you want SD only

I assume most of the New England locals (various cities) would be available in RI

Ok, wonder if any other 101 spots are in my area. How about 119 is there a list of what locals are on what bird?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)