"moved' tonight to escape north east black out on NHL network for Flyers

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I would never do this "move" thing.

I would be afraid that Directv could figure it out because of the receivers phone line connection.

I have my phone line disconnected, You only need it if you order PPV. Like Ice said if they came down on you all they really can do is move you back. It's all about the buck and ticking off the subscriber with little things such as this ain't worth it to them. Look at what is happening over at Dish with them ticking off the subscriber. I wonder how many people do this? I say quite a bit.

phone line? Seriously? Just unplug it.
And before you ask the next question.....I have my receiver hooked up to the internet for VOD and I'm a "mover" with no issues ;)

I have my phone line connected and my internet connected even after my move. With the ability to keep phone numbers from carrier to carrier, VOIP, proxy servers, and the fact that IP addresses show at network hubs not at individual addresses, I don't think it matters. I honestly don't think DirecTV cares. It was very easy to move and they didn't ask a single question.

I agree. They dont care, its all about the legal stuff involving politics. All D* would say is they told us they moved, we believed them.

It's all about the stupid local stations complaining that they loose advertising revenue if you don't watch your local market. To me that's B.S. I don't watch the commercials anyway. Back in the day, I had stations from NY, Denver and other places on my bud. I enjoyed the out of markets better then my local OTA. It never changed my buying habits by having them. It's all a bunch of political B.S.

Where is ACLU when we really need them? One would think the 1st Amendment would allow us to watch whatever we want, when we want, and where we want.

I am a DirecTV newbie and I would like to "move" but the DMA is located in a different Time zone, I know on DISH (customer for 10+ years) it would change the time and the guide data (everything would be listed in the new time zone) Is that the case with Direct also or can you manually set the time zone in these recievers? If not what would it do to the guide data for the AM21 would it desplay in the correct time because of the zipcode?

Thanks,

-R

I am a DirecTV newbie and I would like to "move" but the DMA is located in a different Time zone, I know on DISH (customer for 10+ years) it would change the time and the guide data (everything would be listed in the new time zone) Is that the case with Direct also or can you manually set the time zone in these recievers? If not what would it do to the guide data for the AM21 would it desplay in the correct time because of the zipcode?

Thanks,

-R

On most every DirecTV receiver you can specify your own time zone.

But will it allow the receiver to set the new time zone?

Both of mine are in use right now so I cant test it

Iceberg said:
But will it allow the receiver to set the new time zone?

Both of mine are in use right now so I cant test it

I live in the Eastern Time Zone, but I "moved" to one of the two counties in Alabama within the Atlanta, GA DMA. My receivers were automatically set to Central time when the change took effect, but it was as simple as going into the receiver menus to set my own time zone to fix the issue. The receiver obeys whatever you tell it unless it is an old receiver without options for the clock. I have been "moved" since the beginning of July with no issues.

If you are wondering why I didn't just tell them I moved to Georgia if I wanted the Atlanta DMA, it is because I get two extra Birmingham stations that are significantly viewed and the DirecTV web site says I'll get the Nashville Predators hockey games. Being a Predators fan, that is a definite plus.

When I moved the market I chose allowed me to keep my local sports channel and added two other RSN's, plus the new market locals. I think I did ok :)

I moved to gain a extra RSN plus I kept my local one :)

My local RSN is FSN North (MN) but if I lived in Northeastern or Southeastern MN I get the Brewers games too from FSN WIsconsin....so I "moved" (the Minneapolis area only gets FSN North)

I moved to gain a extra RSN plus I kept my local one :)

My local RSN is FSN North (MN) but if I lived in Northeastern or Southeastern MN I get the Brewers games too from FSN WIsconsin....so I "moved" (the Minneapolis area only gets FSN North)

Weird how those RSN's work. I would think being in a big city you would get more but it don't work like that.

The Twins have the Minneapolis area as their own claimed area. Its when you get outside of the area where you have overlap. SE Minnesota and NE Minnesota have stations that carry the Brewers on radio so thats why. Directv allows folks to have both, Cheap Charlie didnt pay for that so FSN Wisco stops at the border for subs

Iowa has (with sports package) 6 MLB Teams. Cubs & Sox (with basic), Twins, Brewers, Cards, Royals with sports package.
Here is the "who claims what area" map
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/MLB_Blackout_Areas.png

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)