"Moved" without success

I don't get why "moving" pisses anybody off other than "movers" coming in and complaining about the service call issues after moving. It has no affect on the non-movers at all.

Obviously you've never had a job where you are required to roll to an address even if the customer is unreachable.............

Its no fun when you get there to find it is a fake address or the customer finally calls in and he is in a town 80 miles from where he is supposed to be. Then they get pissed because you won't come because it is way off your route, and we do have a route, even if sometimes it seems like the FSM threw the work orders on the ground and played mix n match.

:rolleyes:

I don't see why being honest is so wrong anymore. Whatever happened to integrity?

Anyway, this actually happens so much on QC's, that I will not look for a house if it isn't where it is supposed to be. Occasionally, I will luck up on one where the CSR fubar'd the address or the customer gave a fake street name and I just happened to be on their real street, but I don't search, and I don't call for directions (I do precall enterprise sites to speak with a manager in most cases). I typically will carry 30+ work orders a day. I have audited as many as 36 sites in one day. I don't have time to screw around on the phone.

Last edited:
Lots of glass houses out there

You're right on the money with "breaking the law". It's crap like this that imposes stricter laws, when caught, on the providers.

The other item missed is when someone uses another address, not their actual, to beat the system, we have problems down the road when someone at the falsly used address tries to get a system and can't because D* or E* shows an active account.
You guys don't think about this and it does happen all the time!!!!!!

The new customer who is trying to get service gets denied and now has a bad taste in their mouths about satellite, not to mention if it is a local retailer who is trying to make the sale loses $$$$$$$$$.

But who cares...........you got "your" out of market locals illegally.

What exact law is being broken? Is there an actual law, as in part of a penal code of some sort, which is being broken? I may be breaking my contract with dish, but they obviously don't care (or haven't to this point) about that breach.

I'm not defending people who "move" and call Dish when something needs fixing w/out thinking about the technician who spends their vauable time looking for a nonexistent address. To me, that's somehting that actually seems wrong.

As far as taking someone else's potential Dish account, that's easily avoided as mentioned above by using an address of a fast food place and adding an apartment number. I'm using my Dad's address with his permission, since he has no desire to get Dish. Again, the people who are moaning about this issue have pretty weak arguments .

Anybody who has told anything but the complete truth about everything their entire life, including Mr. "whatever happened to integrity", needs to realize the hippocrisy inherent in their comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
What exact law is being broken? Is there an actual law, as in part of a penal code of some sort, which is being broken? I may be breaking my contract with dish, but they obviously don't care (or haven't to this point) about that breach.

The FCC has imposed retransmit laws on the local broadcasters and are holding all providers liable for NOT RETRANSMITING their signals into out of market areas. This is why Dish had to shut down customers a while back.
If you had half a brain you would realize this and figure out this the reason why you have to use "the move" tactic in order to get out of market locals illegally.

As far as taking someone else's potential Dish account, that's easily avoided as mentioned above by using an address of a fast food place and adding an apartment number. I'm using my Dad's address with his permission, since he has no desire to get Dish. Again, the people who are moaning about this issue have pretty weak arguments .

What should happen, god forbid, your dad dies and you sell the house? Did you think about that? I didn't think so. I'm on the other side of things a deal with the issues weekly, so don't try to think you have it all figured out because you don't.

Anybody who has told anything but the complete truth about everything their entire life, including Mr. "whatever happened to integrity", needs to realize the hippocrisy inherent in their comments.

Dude, you have a thick skull

The FCC has imposed retransmit laws on the local broadcasters and are holding all providers liable for NOT RETRANSMITING their signals into out of market areas. This is why Dish had to shut down customers a while back.
If you had half a brain you would realize this and figure out this the reason why you have to use "the move" tactic in order to get out of market locals illegally.

What should happen, god forbid, your dad dies and you sell the house? Did you think about that? I didn't think so. I'm on the other side of things a deal with the issues weekly, so don't try to think you have it all figured out because you don't.

So if the law forbids Dish from transmitting HD sat signals outside their local market, then THEY are breaking the law, not me. Granted, they are breaking the law because of what I told them. But Dish could easily make you prove your physical address (utility statement, etc) before changing a service address, but they don't. So I don't think they care that this is going on. Again, I may have broken my contract, but I have not broken the law.

As far as my Dad dying, is that really the best you could come up with? If my Dad dies, or hopefully the more likely scenario, that he just physically moves somewhere else, I'll just "move" somewhere else. It's not that difficult.

And enough with the name calling, it's not becoming of you.

Ya'll need to relax. Who gives a hoot, it's not illegal, until someone spits out some penal codes it can be said to be unethical.

Oh hell I ought to change my address to 9601 S. MERIDIAN BLVD. ENGLEWOOD, CO 80112, so I can get HD locals out of Denver over here in the peach for the hell of it, I don't because I don't feel like talking to habib for 30 minutes so that every 30 seconds during the call bob saying sorry mr dallas please hold while computer load application, sorry mr dallas please wait, thank you mr dallas, yada yada yada........ just to change my address.

To each their own.

Ya'll need to relax. Who gives a hoot, it's not illegal, until someone spits out some penal codes it can be said to be unethical.

47USC Sec 339

Subject to section 119 of title 17, any satellite carrier

shall be permitted to provide the signals of no more than two

network stations in a single day for each television network to

any household not located within the local markets of those

network stations.
Per federal law, they are not supposed to provide you with locals from a market different than what your household is located in.

The rest of the law reads the same way, basing your locals upon what market your household is located in, and goes on to describe who is eligible to receive DNS programming.

I think ur user name bout sum's that up! ;) It's a small price to pay and Dish doesn't care, whatever makes the customer happy!
Way to go, going after my username you are very smart..oooooohhhh.. It comes from the fish crappie ?dumba$$..
But otherwise. I agree the law is stupid. And the argument that it is about advertising dollars is valid. The only reason it is in place is to try to force you to watch commercials. Heck we are paying good money for TV and still having to watch the darn commercails. They are double diping and the only way to fight it is "move" or use a DVR all the time.But not to anyone but the local channells. I really dont blame those of you for moving to get the channels,If they are not available to you it is those that are cheating to get another city that are shallow. I just wanted to show another side to the story.
Ane yes I can be a crappyguy sometimes.. LOL

That law covers the satellite carrier. If the carrier is told you're in market "X" and provides you locals for that market, no laws have been broken, nothing says that the carrier has to verify what you tell them.

iwc5893 said:
Per federal law, they are not supposed to provide you with locals from a market different than what your household is located in.
This is true, but the reason is a bit more involved. Here is a very condensed version:

Take another look at the line you quoted. "Shall be permitted" is the opposite of not allowed, and it says they can provide up to 2. After applying the qualifications spelled out elsewhere (white zone, grade B grandfathering, etc), "not allowed" is the end result for most people.

And after a federal judge applied the penalty spelled out for not properly handling those qualifications, Dish is not allowed to offer out of market locals to anyone, even those who legitimately qualify.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts