"Moved" without success

I live here in Round Rock, and am waiting with baited breath for Dish to get Austin HD Locals up on the birds.

I get them fine OTA, but would like the flexibility with the new TV season, but suspect I'll be waiting till sometime in 2008. :(

LER

For flexibility I use an USB HD tuner when I have conflicts;)
Never had to record 3 OTA HD programs yet. Otherwise maybe will buy one more USB HD tuner:D

Is this on the new signal meter on the 622? Those numbers sound like it.

I'd move to Dallas if I were you.

Yes those numbers are from my 622. Someone else said below 65 was a no go, but I gather from your comment that the 622 underreports signal strength and that the strength on the Dallas TP is sufficient?

I am sorry but all this "moving" going on is fine and dandy, Cause I am sure dish hates the darn stupid law(you are breaking the LAW by the way) about the locals issues, cause it is NOTHING but advertising dollars motivated, BUT what are all of you folks that have "moved" Gonna do when you need a service call and cant get it for FREE because you have to call a local guy to fix your dish cause you moved from you correct address. I cannot count the service calls I have done due to sharing rec,or getting locals illegally, and how many times ppl get pissed for having to pay and not get it free. We read so many posts about ppl MAD cause they did not get something for free.. I undertand that noone in this post has said anything about getting something free but a service call or issue needs to be addressed. Heck I have seen several time when I worked for DNSC and an RSP that I spent a good deal of precious time looking for a residence only to find out they had "moved" Or never did "move" to begin with.
Sorry for the rant...But there is another side to the whole MOVE issue...

I am sorry but all this "moving" going on is fine and dandy, Cause I am sure dish hates the darn stupid law(you are breaking the LAW by the way) about the locals issues, cause it is NOTHING but advertising dollars motivated, BUT what are all of you folks that have "moved" Gonna do when you need a service call and cant get it for FREE because you have to call a local guy to fix your dish cause you moved from you correct address. I cannot count the service calls I have done due to sharing rec,or getting locals illegally, and how many times ppl get pissed for having to pay and not get it free. We read so many posts about ppl MAD cause they did not get something for free.. I undertand that noone in this post has said anything about getting something free but a service call or issue needs to be addressed. Heck I have seen several time when I worked for DNSC and an RSP that I spent a good deal of precious time looking for a residence only to find out they had "moved" Or never did "move" to begin with.

I think ur user name bout sum's that up! ;) It's a small price to pay and Dish doesn't care, whatever makes the customer happy!

First off, posting is much more fun than simply reading the posts, I highly recommend people take the plunge.

Second, I was unaware that this was such a touchy issue with some of you. I never intended to insult your delicate holier-than-thou attitudes. I like Dish. I like HD. I don't get sh&t on my OTA antenna. So it's either cable (no thanks), an antennae the size of my car on my house, or getting channels I already pay Dish for. What law is the latter breaking exactly?

As for losing advertising dollars, the fact that I don't get local HDs means I don't often watch my crap locals in the first place, so watching another station is not costing my local networks a single thing. When I do watch my local networks, I see the same damn national commercials the rest of the country sees fifteen hundred times an hour. So that argument is bunk too.

The service call thing I'm fully aware of as part of the "moving" deal. I'll call a local dude and give him my actual address as I assume most people would if they actually wanted their dish working.

There, now I feel much better. And thanks to those that make this a site worth coming to for useful information.

First off, posting is much more fun than simply reading the posts, I highly recommend people take the plunge.

Second, I was unaware that this was such a touchy issue with some of you. I never intended to insult your delicate holier-than-thou attitudes. I like Dish. I like HD. I don't get sh&t on my OTA antenna. So it's either cable (no thanks), an antennae the size of my car on my house, or getting channels I already pay Dish for. What law is the latter breaking exactly?

As for losing advertising dollars, the fact that I don't get local HDs means I don't often watch my crap locals in the first place, so watching another station is not costing my local networks a single thing. When I do watch my local networks, I see the same damn national commercials the rest of the country sees fifteen hundred times an hour. So that argument is bunk too.

The service call thing I'm fully aware of as part of the "moving" deal. I'll call a local dude and give him my actual address as I assume most people would if they actually wanted their dish working.

There, now I feel much better. And thanks to those that make this a site worth coming to for useful information.

I don't get why "moving" pisses anybody off other than "movers" coming in and complaining about the service call issues after moving. It has no affect on the non-movers at all.

If your gonna "move", just be prepared for the some of the hassels that come with it. I've moved to get local HD, moved back home for an upgrade (second 622), and then moved back.

The audit police can audit me if they want. I'll pass with flying colors because my receivers are in one spot. They don't care what address is on my account.

Yes those numbers are from my 622. Someone else said below 65 was a no go, but I gather from your comment that the 622 underreports signal strength and that the strength on the Dallas TP is sufficient?

Correct. Compare it with some of the other national transponder signal strengths on 110 and you'll see what I mean, like TP's 5-11, etc.

Ok, this "move" thing intrigues me. I don't get HD locals either but there are two cities close by one about 60 miles east and the other about 85 miles south of me that get them. Do I just make up an address and as long as I give them the right zip code for one of these cities I'm in business?

Ok, this "move" thing intrigues me. I don't get HD locals either but there are two cities close by one about 60 miles east and the other about 85 miles south of me that get them. Do I just make up an address and as long as I give them the right zip code for one of these cities I'm in business?

Check the transponder signals first!

You're right on the money with "breaking the law". It's crap like this that imposes stricter laws, when caught, on the providers.

The other item missed is when someone uses another address, not their actual, to beat the system, we have problems down the road when someone at the falsly used address tries to get a system and can't because D* or E* shows an active account.
You guys don't think about this and it does happen all the time!!!!!!

The new customer who is trying to get service gets denied and now has a bad taste in their mouths about satellite, not to mention if it is a local retailer who is trying to make the sale loses $$$$$$$$$.

But who cares...........you got "your" out of market locals illegally.

You're right on the money with "breaking the law". It's crap like this that imposes stricter laws, when caught, on the providers.

The other item missed is when someone uses another address, not their actual, to beat the system, we have problems down the road when someone at the falsly used address tries to get a system and can't because D* or E* shows an active account.
You guys don't think about this and it does happen all the time!!!!!!

The new customer who is trying to get service gets denied and now has a bad taste in their mouths about satellite, not to mention if it is a local retailer who is trying to make the sale loses $$$$$$$$$.

But who cares...........you got "your" out of market locals illegally.

If the FCC allowed those of us without an HD local to get a regional version (even if it was primetime only) then we all wouldn't need this discussion in the first place.

I thought about 'Moving' but decided against it. I am going to use a product like the HDHomeRun, record the shows I want OTA to my PC, and stream them to my Xbox and be done with it.

You guys don't think about this and it does happen all the time!
An easy thing to avoid. Do a search for MacDonalds or Burger King. Add 1 number to their address (since street addresses usually skip numbers) and you're in business. :D

I wish they would change the law so that those of us that can't get local HD could.

I don't even understand the need anymore to have local channels since most of the population has cable or satellite. Why can't the feeds come out of one building to the cable and satellite providers.

Here's the deal. I live in Austin. I 'moved' to Houston, but it was a mistake. The spotbeam on TP 4 was ok, except sucked with cloud cover. You being in Temple are even more on the fringe of the spotbeam that I am in Austin.

I then moved to Dallas on TP31, and have been pretty pleased. If you're looking for a Texas city, Dallas would be a better choice than Houston. Also a better choice than SA, as E* doesnt carry NBC in SA, as others have mentioned.

BTW, I 'moved' from Austin to Houston to Dallas within a few day period.

An easy thing to avoid. Do a search for MacDonalds or Burger King. Add 1 number to their address (since street addresses usually skip numbers) and you're in business. :D

Just an FYI. This use to work back in the day but now D* & E* have caught on to this and are starting to audit these type of address. I have a few retailers going through an IRS style of audit right now by D* & E* for adding "A", "1/2",etc......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts