Movie reviews not working?

Yeah, they've been gone for a few weeks. I chatted with Dish on their website and it was a known issue. I have a Hopper 3 and PTAT auto hop stopped working as of May 18th. This was also a known issue. I hope other customers contact Dish so that they fix these issues.

Reactions: pattykay
I would suspect that Dish is no longer paying for this part of the service (Rotten Tomatos), just like we used to get the detailed description of the program/movie with warnings regarding themes and scenes with content parents need to consder. I suspect that part cost extra, as well, and has been dropped. We haven't had it for a long time.

The bigger things that really bother me are the lack of proper thumbnail art (The Invaders has a wolf howing as its thumbnail--GOOD GRIEF, can they not just find a flying saucer or monster or ANYTHING else that remotely relates to the content, even a terrified expression on a face--but a howling wolf has absolutely no connection to the content); non-existant, incorrect, poor, insufficient, subjective (. . .in this "hilarious" comedy) guide info. It really does degrade the Dish experience.

I would suspect that Dish is no longer paying for this part of the service (Rotten Tomatos), just like we used to get the detailed description of the program/movie with warnings regarding themes and scenes with content parents need to consder. I suspect that part cost extra, as well, and has been dropped. We haven't had it for a long time.
They do still have the TV Guardian app on most receivers with the Hopper interface. I think that is the type of service provided by that app.

They do still have the TV Guardian app on most receivers with the Hopper interface. I think that is the type of service provided by that app.
Yes, thanks, but I was referring to the Parental Guide tab on the INFO screen. This has been blank for a very long time, but it used to provide INFORMATION--not control--on the content so that parents could evaluate if the content is appropriate for their children. It was quite well-written and very accurate and even offered, not only warnings of specific scenes and how bloody or violent or how to present controversial socail themes to kids, but also points of discussion with kids about motivation of characters, the choices they make or practices and prejudices of the time in which the content is set. I was fairly impressed with how accurate it was in relation to the content and themes, etc, as if whoever wrote it actually WATCHED the movie (or at least did really good research) and presented and an intelligent guide for parents that was not hysterical nor pious.

Anyway, that has been blank a long time. I think the information for each of those tabs is either sold as seperate components from a metadata supplier or they are purchased from sepeate companies and then Dish intergrates them into its unique INFO screen. In other words, I think all that data has seperate costs, and if Dish is lookng to save money or has data showing that subscribers don't go to that tab often enouhg, Dish likely will not renew its contract for those data services. That seems to be the pattern, anyway, IMHO. Everything can be sold as tiered upgrades from one company or cobbled together from different companies.

In the end, for me, I can't say I really relied on either Rotten Tomatos or the Parental Guide tabs. As I had stated in my earlier post, I just prefer the OBJECTIVE description of the content and not those SUBJECTIVE terms such as "Hillarious", and "Thrilling", and "Mad-cap," and "Uprorious" if I can spell those correctly. As Walt Disney is said to have said, "No, you do not have a great idea; you have an idea. We'll let you know if it's a great idea."

Tivo, I'll let you know if I think a comedy is hillarious or uproarios or if a horror is blood curddling or however you spell it. :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)