Movies! adding affiliates in January

Some people think that IF a station broadcasts the picture aspect as 16 x 9, that means it's automatically "HD". His local station probably has it wrong, or his set or receiver has it wrong.

I had to send an email to my local station that just got Grit, because they had it set to the wrong aspect. It's still not quite right even after they "fixed" it, but at least it's not cut off on both sides anymore.

Reactions: Mr Tony
I was told that "Movies!" is not HD, but its 480i 16:9. On some of the movies the picture looks very good... good enough that I thought it was HD.
correct. Most of these "subchannels" that are out there are only 480i. There are a few examples where it may be upconverted (the MeTV in Philly and NY do that) but there are some like Movies and Cozi that are in widescreen to begin with

In Minneapolis the station that has Me, This, Antenna and now H&I (formerly Live Well) as subchannels (same owner) carried them in widescreen. Their reason was to have commercials in widescreen and not keep screwing with the picture

Movies! adding 6 more affiliates

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/82337/movies-network-adds-six-new-affiliates

Movies! Network, a classic movie broadcast multicast network, has signed agreements with six new affiliates.

They are WPLG Miami-Ft. Lauderdale (DMA 16), WBNX Cleveland-Akron (DMA 19), KUPT Albuquerque-Santa Fe (DMA 49), KRBK Springfield, Mo. (DMA 75), KRDK Fargo-Valley City, N.D. (DMA 116), and WXTX Columbus, Ga (DMA 126).

The Fargo and Columbus stations will launch this month, while Springfield will launch in February and Cleveland-Akron in March.

Reactions: chum1976
Whooo hooo- my wishful thinkin' (in another thread) is on the up & up. KRDK Fargo-GF, (the sold KX4 Tx. now that KX4 is a subchannel of KVLY)
But - nothing yet on the air.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Really enjoying this channel here in Springfield, MO on KRB K CH 49–3! Watch the movie hitst I I somehow I had missed that John Wayne movie. I know it's on Netflix, mate watch it to see it without commercials.*hitari*

The Movies website has the following listed on their 'where to watch' section:
Fargo, ND
4.2/4.4 (Launches 2/1/15)

weird they say 4.2?

IMHO, analog was 'true' HD. No compression, and very little available in video 'enhancement'.
What the satellite providers deliver as "HD" in the local ' OTA markets is heavily compressed. Sure, it's 1080, But the compression renders it as 1080 SD. Again, IMHO, it's what I see in our area anyway.
weird they say 4.2?
Are there 2 MOVIES! channels???? I think 4.1 may remain as a infomercial channel, Still wonder what's going to occupy the other 'channels'.

I'm receiving Movies! on FOX 29.2 out of Philadelphia but for whatever reason FOX 29 has the weakest signal of anything out of Phila. Best I get is about 66Q but that's early morning. If there's snow, rain, or heavy fog it drops into the mid 50s and pixelates. Wish it was better.

10-4 on the 'ZERO sense'.
But they are transmitting a channel that scans in as 7.1. It's a blank screen now. Had been a blue screen. Maybe that's where they'll place MOVIES!.

But they are transmitting a channel that scans in as 7.1. It's a blank screen now. Had been a blue screen. Maybe that's where they'll place MOVIES!.
possibly but I don't think it would qualify as must carry even with the -1 as the PSIP number. If that was the case stations would put their subchanenls as mythical -1 stations (like instead of 5-2 it would be 49-1) to gain must carry ;)

I don't recall any regulation that states that the -1 subchannel qualifies for must-carry. IIRC, one subchannel must be carried from a qualifying station, but it can be any one.

I don't recall any regulation that states that the -1 subchannel qualifies for must-carry.
I've read that only the -1 (main) station qualifies for must carry

IIRC, one subchannel must be carried from a qualifying station, but it can be any one.
subchannels do not qualify for must carry. That is why satellite really only carries them if they are associated with the Big4 networks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts