Movin, movin movin...well not yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jugghedd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
Schoharie, NY USA
After setting up my 8 foot pole mounted mesh dish,(with lots of help from this forum) I found a way to move it. But, it's a temporary fix with no way to save SAT positions yet. So, I have a few receivers and need some advice on how to move the dish. Also a quick actuator question.

I have a Von Weise actuator. BCS621 2D Ku and C LNB but Im only using it for the C band.

quick list of receivers I have with motor connections on them:

(Mover only) STS MBS-AA Antenna Actuator Microprocessor System (pretty old)
General Instruments 4DTV DSR 922 (yes the battery died)
General Instruments Innovation 550i (not sure how to check the battery on it)
Realistic SR2012

Im using the STS right now and using a meter inside to catch the signal. I found out how to store sats on this but I think I need the remote to select one. And I dont have the remote. The realistic, I can store channels and select them, but the dish movement seems sloppy as if it doesnt have a fine adjustment. So, its hard to land it on the signal with that one. The G.I boxes I cant really tell if I can use it without having some kind of data cable which costs more than a simple mover box. And Im not sure if I can use them as a mover if the battery died in them.

Mt actuator question is if I need to use the pulse wires for anything. Theyre not connected and everything seems to work as expected.

First thing to confirm, Is the actuator equipped with a reed switch, or a 10 turn potentiometer. If it's a reed switch, direct connection to the 550i sensor terminals should work.
The 922 and the 550i should have 2 terminals labeled M(+&-) and 2 labeled sensor, or one sensor and the other ground. Direct connections to motor and the reed switch sensor.
If it's a potentiometer, Kinda outa luck, could retrofit a magnet & switch maybe(???). Might be that STS MBS-AA will run a pot? (Dunno)
How about some pictures of the equipment?
Mt actuator question is if I need to use the pulse wires for anything.
Yes, it's so the mover can keep track of where the dish is.

The GI 550 doesn't have any battery to worry about. I'm using one of them right now to move one of my ku dishes, one I mounted to a c-band mount a few years ago.
Do you have a remote for it? If not, you can't really store satellite positions in it. Check ebay, sometimes those Innovation remotes show up for sale. Or possibly get one of those Harmony remotes, I'm sure the codes are available in their database. It's a nice receiver/actuator controller.
edit: Also, you don't need any kind of data cable or anything special for the GI receiver to work the dish motor, just have to get the remote to store sat positions, or to fine-tune or re-tune positions. Just 4 wires operates my actuator, the DC power wires, and a pulse and a ground.

I'll put up some more specifics and pics of the gear later. After reading a bit, I may just buy a dish mover. Would be nice to just use my current receiver and have it translate diseqc into the mover positions. Im surprised they havent built a receiver that does that and still supports DVB-S2. Or maybe I just havent seen one.

I have used a battery charger to move my dishes manually. 12v moves it slow.

If you connect your DVB free to air receiver to the dish, with the receiver tuned to a known good transponder in the antenna menu, move the dish slowly until your signal quality jumps up. Fine tune the signal, then do a scan. See what pops up.

I have used a battery charger to move my dishes manually. 12v moves it slow.

If you connect your DVB free to air receiver to the dish, with the receiver tuned to a known good transponder in the antenna menu, move the dish slowly until your signal quality jumps up. Fine tune the signal, then do a scan. See what pops up.

I have an actual mover. Im looking for a way to store and recall the SATs. But, thanks

Replace the battery in the 922 and you'll be able to use it as a dish mover,receive most in the clear DCII stuff (a couple off audio services + other stuff) and whatever analog,not much, is still up there.Do a Mapmaster on it and you'll get more sat positions and the latest digital mapping.The only thing you won't be able to do is subscribe it.

It may be a few days before I update anything. I messed with my arc and seem to have lost a lot of SATs. I may need to re-aim to true south and get my declination right before I try anything else. I think Im getting it over with and buying a VBOX too. Seems like the simple answer.

Im still having trouble setting up my arch properly. But, I swapped out the actuator for another one that a guy gave me. Here's some pics of the old and new ones. I have a V-Box coming in the mail coming today.

Here's the old motor. Nothing wrong with it. 20130515_205339.jpg20130515_205252.jpg20130515_205239.jpg20130515_205650.jpg
Here's the new one. Appears much sturdier and has a grease fitting which I like. 20130515_064457.jpg20130515_064548.jpg

Replace the battery in the 922 and you'll be able to use it as a dish mover,receive most in the clear DCII stuff (a couple off audio services + other stuff) and whatever analog,not much, is still up there.Do a Mapmaster on it and you'll get more sat positions and the latest digital mapping.The only thing you won't be able to do is subscribe it.

Im probably going to use the vbox only for the moving of the dish.
But, when you say "Do a mapmaster", do you mean using mapmaster with a USB cable? I just wonder for future reference if I ever do decide to try and utilize the 922.

The way I understand it, you need to get a special cable (I think they are around $60) to install the new maps in your 922.

There should be some threads in the C-band forum that describe the process.

The way I understand it, you need to get a special cable (I think they are around $60) to install the new maps in your 922.

There should be some threads in the C-band forum that describe the process.

Thanks phlat. I did read a few of those. I wanted to make sure it was the cable and there wasnt another way Im missing. That cable cost makes it a bit of a crazy idea to use the 922 as JUST a dish mover. A VBOX is cheaper than the cable itself. Im sure others have other reasons for using them. Maybe worth it if you get a few channels or programming, etc that you cant get on another receiver.

Time to get my butt in gear on aiming the dish properly now. I really need a second receiver in my shed. hauling that whole setup outside is a real pain. but, after yesterday, I realize, totally necessary. Aiming with a meter and no actual signal/quality is not cutting it.

I got my V-Box in the mail, hooked it up, and now I'm moving around easily. UI would definitely recommend these boxes. Sort of like a DISECQ to old C band positioner bridge. I just wish they did USALS too. Aside from that, Im quite happy with the setup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts