Moving 311 to another room

larry2506

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Pennsylvania
Hi all -

My mother has a dual tuner 311. The receiver is currently with her TV in her living room, and the second receiver controls a TV in her family room.

I was wondering how much trouble it is to move the 311 to the TV in her family room, and have the living room set work as TV2. Reason: she spends most of her time in the family room during cold months (warm fire!) and I'm concerned about the ability of her UHF remote being able to operate the receiver in the living room, since during the winter the doors are shut in that part of the house, which is on the opposite side of the dwelling from the family room.

Would it just involve moving the 311 to the family room, and swapping the cables on the diplexer (?) on the back of the unit, or would it be more elaborate.

Also, she may be getting a new TV for the family room, and I'd like to wire the 311 to it using the audio/video hookups, rather than the RF cable.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi all -

My mother has a dual tuner 311. The receiver is currently with her TV in her living room, and the second receiver controls a TV in her family room.

I was wondering how much trouble it is to move the 311 to the TV in her family room, and have the living room set work as TV2. Reason: she spends most of her time in the family room during cold months (warm fire!) and I'm concerned about the ability of her UHF remote being able to operate the receiver in the living room, since during the winter the doors are shut in that part of the house, which is on the opposite side of the dwelling from the family room.

Would it just involve moving the 311 to the family room, and swapping the cables on the diplexer (?) on the back of the unit, or would it be more elaborate.

Thanks.

Well first off she must have a 322 because the 311 was a single tuner unit. :)

Depending on how it is wired you will have to either switch the Diplexor setup, or run the wires different. If they wired in a dedicated line for the 2nd tv with out the use of a diplexor you could change to a diplexor setup and not have to rewire. You have to remember that Diplexors work in pairs so there is another one besides the one behind the unit that needs to be changed as well. If you understand how a diplexor works then moving the unit from tv1 to tv2 is not hard. Just remember that if you have the phone connected where it is now, and you don't have a connection at tv2 her bill will go up 5 a month.

I would say if the remote works, shutting the doors should make no difference, then why bother. If the remote is spotty in performance there are alot of ways to improve it. One is to make sure it is not on frequency 1 as that has the worst performance. The other way is to move the antenna from the back of the receiver to behind the 2nd tv with the use of splitter.

Whoops! I did mean the 322, not the 311.

Thanks for the advice. I'd also like to consider moving the 322 to her second TV location because she might be getting a new TV soon, and I would like to connect it so she can use the yellow/red/white audio/video hookups rather than the RF, which is currently used on both TV's.

There is a single RG6 going from the dish to TV 1, and the receiver has a gizmo on the back which I understand helps to send the signal back to the other TV, which is connected by one cable (she's seven hours away right now so I can't go look). You probably know what I'm referring to.

Then she probably has a diplexor backfeed set up. So, if you look for the cable coming down from the dish, there should be a device that looks like a splitter called a diplexor. It is actually very easy to move the rcvr from TV1 to TV2. All you need to do is find the exterior diplexor. On the two post side there will be a cable going to the dish and another going to the TV2 location. On the one post side, there is the cable going to the rcvr.

If you swap the cable that is going to the rcvr and the cable that is going to the TV2 location, you swap those two locations. It is very very important that you don't touch the cable to the dish or you won't get a signal at the new location.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)