Moving a dish a few feet?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Son of Gadsden

Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Danville, VA
My directv installer installed the dish by attaching it to the outside of my exposed basement on my house. I'm building a deck this weekend onto the back of the house, which will affect the area the dish is installed. I was planning on taking off the dish myself, and I'd rather avoid calling DTV, both because of the money and the fact that i'd have to schedule them to come out and coordinate with the contractor, which i just think is going to be a mess. So, I plan on removing the dish, and on the same day, bolting it to the outside band of my deck. this would move the dish exactly 12 feet from where it was. there are no other houses behind my house or trees. it's a wide open field (which is where the dish is pointing)...so interference should not be a problem.

Should this be an easy move, or are there going to be complications I can't handle? Anything I should know?

Thanks for the help in advance.

I let the more knowledgeable tell you "how". I used to do all my Dish and Directv dish work, and the first time it's a little worrisome. Just trust in yourself and know you aren't the first to do it, and the simple tools available to do it now make things even easier.

Do you have enough extra length in the coax to make this move? If you need to add a length make sure you use waterproof connections.

What I would do is make sure the mast is plumb in the new location and mount the dish.
Leave the elevation and skew the same and then just rotate in azimuth to refind the sats.

Do you have enough extra length in the coax to make this move? If you need to add a length make sure you use waterproof connections.

What I would do is make sure the mast is plumb in the new location and mount the dish.
Leave the elevation and skew the same and then just rotate in azimuth to refind the sats.
OP,
I would first check the current mast and see if it actually IS plumb, then go from there, like JD said.

I didn't even think of the cable! Yeah, i probably need more cable t move it 12 feet

You can do it,

Here is the list of items you will need to cover.

NEW LOCATION = From what you say there are no obstructions and you are just moving the dish in a straight line away from where it is now pointed (SW).

MATERIALS

NEW CABLE = RG6 is the standard coax in use. Measure the length of the run along the ground. + Measure the length from where the dish is now to the ground. + Measure the height from the ground to where you want the new dish. Add them up, probably around twenty feet from what you say. DO CHECK AND SEE HOW MANY CABLES ARE NOW RUNNING OUT THE ARM ON YOUR DISH! You need to run that many cables to the new location. IF more than two....get 1 in conduit & bends.

NEW STEEL POLE = Examine the mast (gray pipe ) you are currently using. It will either be 1.66 in diameter or 2 in diameter depending on the dish model you have. Go to a big box store and get a
10 ft steel tube fence post to match your mast.

CONDUIT = Also get a 10 ft length of 3/4 in (see cable note) gray electrical conduit and (2) two 3/4 in 90 degree bends. You don't have to run the cable underground in conduit unless you want to. Couldn't hurt. The conduit and 90s are to protect the cable as it comes out of the ground and rises to where the connections are being made. Weed eaters will ruin your day. Even lawn mowers bumping the cable will eventually ding it. Protect the exposed cable!

FITTINGS, CONNECTORS & TIES. To join the extra cable to the existing cable you will need one cable fitting & one barrel connector. To make a proper fitting installation there are several special tools available. Acquire enough fittings for both ends of the cable (s). You will need a barrel connector for each line. At each end you will use a few quick ties to form service loops and keep the cable from blowing around.

CONCRETE = Enough to keep your new steel pole from moving. One # 50 bag of gravel mix & one #50 bag of quick set concrete should do it. If your soil is sandy and or recently placed during construction you may need another bag.

THE WORK

AT THE DISH Dig a two shovel wide x three ft deep hole. Measure from the bottom of your hole to dish height + 1ft & cut your pole. Dish height must be above your local snow amount and the arm should be high enough that lawn cutterrs will not walk into it & twist the dish or break the arm off. BEFORE YOU POUND THE POLE IN hit it wits a large hammer to dent it---or drill & run a bolt through the pipe where it will be in the concrete; a muffler clamp will also work for this. You do not want the pole to spin in the concrete!.
With a wood block on the top of the pipe to protect the pipe end.......pound it into the bottom of the hole at least the 1 ft you measured & dump in the whole bag of gravel mix without water. While you are working keep the pole "plumb". This is critical to later work. Tamp the gravel mix as hard as you can while keeping the pole plumb. Prepare the conduit bend and a length of conduit to rise to the dish and away from the pole a foot. Quick tie this to the pole. Running the cable in the conduit & bend at this point makes it easier. Mix the quick dry concrete according directions and dump it in when the conduit & cable (with extra for the dish install) are done.

ALONG THE CABLE RUN you don't have to dig a trench. Open the sod with your shovel several inches down. Clear the bottom of the cut with a tool and WITH A WOOD OR PLASTIC pushing tool...like a board... push the cable into the bottom of the cut without damaging it. The cable goes through a 1 ft piece of conduit....the 90 bend...and a vertical run to the dish and cable junction at the old dish location. Attach the vertical conduit to both the building and the pole with quick ties or concrete cable clips.

AT THE CURRENT DISH LOCATION.........Remove the cable from the dish by disconnecting the cable from the LNB using a 7/16" wrench. Remove the dish from the mast by loosening the back bolts. Connect the new cable to the existing cable using the barrel connector and fittings while making a service loop where thet meet. Protect this junction from water.

AT THE NEW DISH LOCATION........cut a fitting for each cable end & connect all cable(s) to the LNB after the cable has been fed through the conduit..........prepare a cable length that runs loosely loosely from the LNB down the Dish arm around a small service loop (6-9 in diameter / two ties) & down the pole into the conduit. Quick tie all cable neatly................slide the dish on the new pole.....connect the LNB... and snug the back bolts so the dish will move for tuning.

That is about it. If you have done everything correctly when you turn on your 101 sat signal meter you should get a signal as you swing the dish through the azimuth to the signnal. Tighten the back bolts without breaking them
Questions?

Joe

Last edited:
My directv installer installed the dish by attaching it to the outside of my exposed basement on my house. I'm building a deck this weekend onto the back of the house, which will affect the area the dish is installed. I was planning on taking off the dish myself, and I'd rather avoid calling DTV, both because of the money and the fact that i'd have to schedule them to come out and coordinate with the contractor, which i just think is going to be a mess. So, I plan on removing the dish, and on the same day, bolting it to the outside band of my deck. this would move the dish exactly 12 feet from where it was. there are no other houses behind my house or trees. it's a wide open field (which is where the dish is pointing)...so interference should not be a problem.

Should this be an easy move, or are there going to be complications I can't handle? Anything I should know?

Thanks for the help in advance.

You could perhaps get it going if it's an 18" standard dish. If it's a HD/Slimline and you don't have a AIMeter? Sorry but you'll want to call DTV.

Not true, especially if it's a dish that's already aligned and only being moved a short distance. As long as the two masts are plumb, it's as easy as moving from one to the other and slowing adjusting the azimuth. I've done it more than once.

Not true, especially if it's a dish that's already aligned and only being moved a short distance. As long as the two masts are plumb, it's as easy as moving from one to the other and slowing adjusting the azimuth. I've done it more than once.
Well then. You seem to have all the answers. ;)

I'm just relaying my experience. Many of us that aren't installers have aligned ka/ku dishes with only the signal meter in the box.

As far as aiming the dish after the move, there are several decent sat apps in the market for both Android and Iphones. Whether 12 feet will make a difference depends on 12 feet in which direction. 12 ft N/S will probably be safe, if moving 12 feet east/west you may need to spend some time realigning it .

Rather than splicing cables together wi barrel connectors to get the extra 15 or so feet you need, you are far better off measuring how far it is from your grounding block (which should be the first break in the cable) and run a whole new length of cable from that point to the dish.

At a distance of 22,300 miles for the satellites, 12 feet one way or the other makes no difference.

I said he would have to adjust the azimuth on the new mast. It would still be in the same relative position, but at virtually the same azimuth.

Edit: The elevation and skew would remain the same, but by changing to a new mast, of course you would need to adjust the azimuth.

Last edited:
alright guys, i took the dish off the house today. The splitter is outside with 3 cables going into it from the box which is also outside. The actual dish only has one cable running to it from the splitter,and I'm not sure if it's going to be long enough or not. If not, I guess I can just buy one cable long enough.

I guess I'll just mount it as it was to the band of the deck and then go from there. From what I'm reading here it's not all that complicated and I shouldnt have to do MUCH.

If all else fails, I'll just call DTV to fix my mess.

I will look into the apps, too.

As for some of the discussions I see here, the satellite will be moved 12 feet towards the direction it is pointing.

alright guys, i took the dish off the house today. The splitter is outside with 3 cables going into it from the box which is also outside. The actual dish only has one cable running to it from the splitter,and I'm not sure if it's going to be long enough or not. If not, I guess I can just buy one cable long enough.

I guess I'll just mount it as it was to the band of the deck and then go from there. From what I'm reading here it's not all that complicated and I shouldnt have to do MUCH.

If all else fails, I'll just call DTV to fix my mess.

I will look into the apps, too.

As for some of the discussions I see here, the satellite will be moved 12 feet towards the direction it is pointing.

Son of G,
You are on the right track. The clue you sent that there is one cable coming from the dish to a splitter is significant. You have a SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) operating on the end of the arm with the LNB. They do run to splitters as opposed to a dual cable running to a multiswitch elsewhere. The SWM will make your work easier. IF you can mount the dish on your deck that will be much easier. DO make sure the mast is plumb. Happy TV tonight!

Joe

So if my cable isn't long enough and I have to extend it a few feet by getting a short cord and attaching it, should it affect the quality of the image? I'm not sure I should fool around with disconnecting that cable from the dish to replace the entire cable with a longer cable.

Adding an extra length won't affect the picture at all as long as it's properly connected, using the right type of compression fitting.

People do it all the time.

Look at all the campers out there ... they don't have to have a Installer follow them around and the majority of them don't use a meter, let alone a D* AIM meter .. whats that $500 for something you use once in a while, hardly worth it in the long run.

While that may seem true Chip,even you said even a few feet and it will more than likely need some adjustment. I was just suggesting he download a free app to aid him it realigning it.

RL, typically , if you look at a set up dish at one location and another across town, they will be at the same settings.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts