Moving, a few questions for installers.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

the_Drake

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Hi. I am moving into a house (finally!) after many years of apartment living. I have called D* and set up a movers package for install, but they can't get me until the 23rd. I will be in by Sunday, and I want my NFL, even if watching my team is depressing :)

The house has an existing dish, a 3-lnb that looks to be wired. The walls sockets look fancy, no cords sticking out, just the coax in/output. I am thinnking this will be a quick install if it has already been wired. I have HD, so I need the dish replaced with a Slimline. The big question is will the existing setup work if I plug in my recievers and TV? I have a standard and an HR20. I won't get DVR I'm guessing, but just a plain signal? I may just plug in my standard receiver and an old TV just to check it out.

My other question is does this sound to be an easy install, if all the wires are already there? He/she will have to run another one for the DVR, if the last resident did not have it, right? I just want to be prepared for any additional costs that might come up.

Thanks!!

Hi. I am moving into a house (finally!) after many years of apartment living. I have called D* and set up a movers package for install, but they can't get me until the 23rd. I will be in by Sunday, and I want my NFL, even if watching my team is depressing :)

The house has an existing dish, a 3-lnb that looks to be wired. The walls sockets look fancy, no cords sticking out, just the coax in/output. I am thinnking this will be a quick install if it has already been wired. I have HD, so I need the dish replaced with a Slimline. The big question is will the existing setup work if I plug in my recievers and TV? I have a standard and an HR20. I won't get DVR I'm guessing, but just a plain signal? I may just plug in my standard receiver and an old TV just to check it out.

My other question is does this sound to be an easy install, if all the wires are already there? He/she will have to run another one for the DVR, if the last resident did not have it, right? I just want to be prepared for any additional costs that might come up.

Thanks!!

If you just trying to get the core programming, Yes it should work if you just plug it in. At least that gets you your football. I would still use your HR20 for this so you can watch your HD, when you do the set up, tell the HR20 that you have a 3 lnb dish and it should load fine, make sure when they put the 5 lnb in that they change the internal setting so it sees the other sats :up

Jimbo

Thanks!!

Should be a relatively easy install with all the wires already run. They may or may not have to drill a second hole for the DVR. They might also be able to just run it in the same hole that was there previously if there is enough room otherwise they will either bore it out or just throw another hole in the wall. As far as the dish goes, they will just pull the Multi-Sat down and put up a Slimline which shouldn't take a whole lot of time. I'm guessing they prolly have a 4x4 multi switch on there so that will get changed to a 6x8 for the new HD stuff. Install should only take at most 2 hours. Also, barring any complications or unforeseen problems it looks like your install should be free.

Drake,
DO set up all your TVs and try them out on the existing rig. The installer will be able to supply any missing jumpers and test the cable in the walls. The second line for the recorder gets easier as you move the recorder closer to the entrance point where the cables come into the building. The Slimline mast is bigger that the one for the 3 LNB so that will be changed. Save the old dish for trips or a receiver in the garage.

Joe

Thanks for the replies. Just got internet up today. So, I plugged my receiver into the wall and got the goods. With Sunday Ticket HD to boot! I was quite happy about that. Here's some additional info: my wall jacks have two coax outputs, along with bundled phone and ethernet jacks. I will learn these later, but for this discussion would having the existing double jack enable an easy install for DVR? Both do not work for the satellite, which I assume there was no second line into the dish for DVR service, however I did pick up my local PBS in HD plugging my TV into the spare jack directly. Still too far for stations without OTA.

Thanks again!

Now you are thinking like a clear eyed satellite guy!

Those double jacks are gold. You are in for the recorder installation. The tech should be able to find and re-task the cables (connect 'em different ways)to your dish while installing the 5LNB dish. You can even try the (unsupported) trick of moving the BBC converter beyond a diplexer and getting OTA from the same lines.
You may want to check on access to the distribution point for all the cable in you house. The tech will need to get there.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts