Moving and "moving" at the same time

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Which of the above options is the best?

• Install myself

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Tell D* to have installer to come to billing address

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Try to contact installer to come to billing address

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Try to confuse D* by switching up the addresses

• Pay off the installer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tell the installer he can leave and I activate the receivers

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Wait a month and then "move"

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Give it up and take what I get. They don't allow "moving" anymore anyway!

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

stilladolfan

Original poster
May 27, 2007
Hey guys, have a strange question. I'm physically moving north but into a county that doesn't have HD LIL or the HD RSN, just SD RSN. However, if I lived just 10 miles over in the next county, I'd get both. I'd heard of "moving". What's the best way to do both? Here are my options as I see them:
1) Install myself (least desirable)
2) Tell D* my service address and billing address, but ask them to have the installer come to my billing address (I doubt that'd work).
3) Tell D* my service address and billing address and then try to contact the installers myself to see if they'll come to the billing address.
4) Try to confuse the D* folks by telling them one service address and billing address and then after the install tell them they got it backwards.
5) Tell D* the right address, but pay off the installer to tell them a different service address at the time of the install.
6) Tell D* the right address, and then tell the installer he can leave and I'll active the receivers myself and try to convince the CSR that it's actually a different service address than the installers came to.
7) Just get it installed and "move" a month later (or should I wait longer or not that long?)

Now, since my physical address doesn't technically have HD LIL, they will still bring a 5-LNB dish and peak all the satellites, right?
Thanks in advance for your advice. It'd drive me crazy not having the HD LIL. The county I'm moving to doesn't even have SD locals and only two of the networks in that county broadcast in HD OTA. Not only would I not get the local NFL team in HD over the dish, I wouldn't even get them in SD over the dish. Crazy. I'm not trying to be seedy.

One more idea. Give them the right address and town with the zip code of the next town over that's in the DMA I want. The installer will know where to go, I think.

You're playing a fool's game.
Most people who Move than move again do everything themselves.

I know if i were to "MOVE" i know i would NOT call the satellite provider to help me move the equipment or anything else. They will catch you in a false move if you do that

"Moving" assumes you have all the equipment in place and you have been receivnig all the programming you want at that location. You then are changing your service address with a simple level 1 support call. Its simple and painless and they dont really ask questions other then you have everything in place.

So either install everything yourself or get everything to the point you are ready and then make the call to "move". Waiting a month wouldnt be a bad idea. There is risk in being caught but the less obvious, the less you say, and the most entry level CSR should be able to make the change over possible.

Thanks for the help, guys.
For the guys that think I should install without using the moving service, how do I track down a good installer? How much should I expect to spend? If it costs $200, you don't think slipping D*'s guy $100 will solve my problem?
To Brewer4, is it true the address needs to be real and that they look it up? And is it true they use the phone line to verify the location of the receivers?
Thanks again for all your help. Obviously an ambitious move for me.

The zip, town and state have to be. The street address does not. Most folks have used prior address or addresses of friends which is not a bad idea. Again, if you using a front line CSR and just simply say you moved to a new address and give it, no one will look it up or confirm it. Just keep your billing address and phone number as real. They care more about you paying the bills or stealing programming.

As for a phone line, they cant really confirm that anymore with Vonage and other VOIP. For instance, I will probably keep my phone number for ever no matter if I move or not. May not be Vonage but it will be my phone number. As for phone lines, you dont need them for the H20 or HR20 unless you get advanced programming like MLB or Sunday Ticket. Those will require a phone line to confirm your receivers are attached. If not, they deactivate the packages. Not your service, just the package. If you have phone lines, go ahead and attach. They are more concerned that your units are in one location.

As for actually moving, go through D*'s moving service. That will get a dish and wiring installed on your house if you are not comfortable with doing it yourself. Deal with the local channels for summer in whatever locale your are in (its all repeats anyways). Then "move" in September. Remember, you have to be in the spotbeams to get near local markets. So someone in Florida cant get Boston or Denver. But someone in Connecticut can get Boston or New York. So there are spotbeam constraints to consider.

What do you do for updates to any of the recievers if the box is not attached to a phone line because you "moved" to a different location? As for MLB I don't have a phone line connected and get the programming anyway. All I have for now is a HD reciever and one standard.

are updates not done with out a phone line.? that would take for ever over a dial up connection any thing but reporting PPV or any other billing data

What do you do for updates to any of the recievers if the box is not attached to a phone line because you "moved" to a different location? As for MLB I don't have a phone line connected and get the programming anyway. All I have for now is a HD reciever and one standard.

Updates are not done over phone line. They are all done over sat. Tivos want the phone line but HR20 and H20's dont necessarily need them. There's lots of reports of folks not needing the phone line for advanced packages but some have reported packages turned off without the phone line. I wouldnt worry about it at all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)