"Moving" - Ceil 2 question

Yes Directv uses spotbeams too. If you have an address or can qualify you can get Distant HD from LA or NY with Directv. What receivers do you have? If they are mpeg 4 receivers, then I would replace the current Dish with Dish 1000.4 for the Eastern Arc, then you would get 61.5 and 77 and could move to Richmond or D.C. or add a second Dish for 61.5 or 77. Otherwise it is hard to predict until Dish gets all the spotbeams on 129 lit up and the channels all moved around. You can sit tight for a few weeks while this happens or add a dish or change service providers.

Yes Directv uses spotbeams too. If you have an address or can qualify you can get Distant HD from LA or NY with Directv. What receivers do you have? If they are mpeg 4 receivers, then I would replace the current Dish with Dish 1000.4 for the Eastern Arc, then you would get 61.5 and 77 and could move to Richmond or D.C. or add a second Dish for 61.5 or 77. Otherwise it is hard to predict until Dish gets all the spotbeams on 129 lit up and the channels all moved around. You can sit tight for a few weeks while this happens or add a dish or change service providers.

I have a VIP 722 and 622.

If the large markets in the Eastern Time Zone are all going Spotbeam, I guess there is no point in moving from Atlanta to one of those if it's only going to be temporary. I have gotten used to receiving the network channels in HD and while my OTA antenna is sometimes quite good, at other times it will go in and out and it's very annoying. I am in Shreveport, LA and I don't see that DISH is going to give us HD locals anytime soon. Do any of you know if Dallas, New Orleans or Baton Rouge have them or are expected to have them soon? Would I be in the range of those cities if they are Spotbeam? How large of an area does a Spotbeam encompass? I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks in advance!!! Mary

I have a VIP 722 and 622.

Then you are set for the Eastern Arc. Just replace your 1000.2 dish with a 1000.4 and you can get the local HD off 77 or any spotbeams you are in on 61.5. You won't lose any channels as all national programming that is on the Western Arc (110,119,129) is mirrored on the Eastern Arc (61.5, 72,77).

Baton Rouge is getting them and so is Lafayette but I do not think that beam covers Shreveport. I am mobile right now so I cant check. If I remember right you are barely in the Dallas beam and in the Arkansas beam just fine. So there might be room for your DMA up there. You could always add a wing dish for the CONUS HD locals on 72/77.

Check TheList link in my signature.

Im a little confused. I live in GA but according to the clickable link for the Atlanta spotbeam, I am no where near in range but I have not lost the locals. I am on 110, 119, 129. Any ideas?

Just did a check and shows my signal on transponder 4 as 12.

Last edited:
Question for you movers, who have lost your locals to spots in the last day. If you had any DishPasses for shows, how did the 622 or 722 deal with not having a signal on the missing locals? Did it record the show on your OTA antenna (if you have one)? Or did it just record the dish local with the message saying the channel is missing or whatever it says?

Typically if you lose a channel the timer goes into la la land, just disappears, if the channel comes back so does the timer magicly

If the large markets in the Eastern Time Zone are all going Spotbeam, I guess there is no point in moving from Atlanta to one of those if it's only going to be temporary. I have gotten used to receiving the network channels in HD and while my OTA antenna is sometimes quite good, at other times it will go in and out and it's very annoying. I am in Shreveport, LA and I don't see that DISH is going to give us HD locals anytime soon. Do any of you know if Dallas, New Orleans or Baton Rouge have them or are expected to have them soon? Would I be in the range of those cities if they are Spotbeam? How large of an area does a Spotbeam encompass? I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks in advance!!! Mary

The Ciel contiguous spotbeams (48 states). Probably can expect HD in each one of them someday.

Attachments

• 50 dBm Ciel 2 spotbeam footprint.jpg
    50 dBm Ciel 2 spotbeam footprint.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 412
Im a little confused. I live in GA but according to the clickable link for the Atlanta spotbeam, I am no where near in range but I have not lost the locals. I am on 110, 119, 129. Any ideas?

Just did a check and shows my signal on transponder 4 as 12.

If you haven't lost them then that means you have enough signal to pick them up.

The Atlanta beam seems real hot right now as I can pick up all three of the transponders on that spotbeam in my location and I'm over 100 miles out of the beam.

I too need to move. What about the locals on the 118 sat? Are they still Conus? How long do you think they would stay there? Thanks!

I think I found where i can move. I saw that Roanoke is going to be lit up in March. Is this true and will I be in the spot beam if I live 90 miles away?

I think I found where i can move. I saw that Roanoke is going to be lit up in March. Is this true and will I be in the spot beam if I live 90 miles away?
Where do you live? I'm about the same distances as you. I'm still trying to figure out where to move.:confused:

You'll be able to get your SD locals in Charlottesville next month I believe. You should be in the spotbeam for Roanoke, too.

You'll be able to get your SD locals in Charlottesville next month I believe. You should be in the spotbeam for Roanoke, too.
I have the Charlottesville SD locals now. I had the Atlanta HD locals before and its hard to go back to the SD stuff. I wonder if Roanoke will have HD or just SD.

I live in an area that E* only has SD locals as well. Also have no CW in the area at all. So that's why I moved to Chicago. When they move it to spot I'm SOL to be able to get up to date episodes of Smallville either in HD or SD.

I live in an area that E* only has SD locals as well. Also have no CW in the area at all. So that's why I moved to Chicago. When they move it to spot I'm SOL to be able to get up to date episodes of Smallville either in HD or SD.
Yep, thats what just happened to me with Atlanta. I'm still hoping Chicago does not go spot cause I'm ready to move as we speak. But I'm sure they probably are.

Unless you are blacked out be Syndex rules, you can subscribe to WPIX, KWGN, or KTLA individually or as part of the superstation package and get the CW in sd.

Our CW is currently a digital subchannel on it's sister station until the 17th when they turn their analog transmitter off and flash cut to their digital OTA channel assignment. I have had the superstations for 10 yrs and the feed from WPIX is usually better than the local subchannel or the sd feed Dish provides with our locals. I am hoping for Smallville in HD in two weeks. Wishing the 17th would get here quick!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts