Moving Dish receiver to another tv

kcguru

Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
I currently have a dish receiver on a tv on my porch that I no longer use, since it's getting colder and no one goes on the porch. Would it be possible to move that receiver to a different tv? If I am paying for the additional receiver fee, I'd like to use the dish, not leave it sit for 4 months.

Also, is this something I can do myself or do I need to call Dish and have them come over, pick up the receiver, move it to another room and reconnect it? :D

Thanks!

this is a real easy switch that anyone can do. do you have a coaxial connection in the room you want this in?

Unfortunately no. Also, the room that I want to put the receiver in is upstairs, whereas the porch was downstairs. How much does that complicate things?

:welcome

you will need to run a cable to the room so it depends how far the dish is. if you can easily get a cable there then no problem. what set up do you have? if you can post pics even better.

What do you mean by setup?

I would need a longer cable, I know that much. Both rooms are on the same side of the house, just one upstairs and one downstairs, so I could run the cable from the actual dish up the outside of the house through the window, but I'm not sure what cable to use and how to connect it.

what i mean is if you're using dishpro technology or legacy technology. what type of dish do you have as in a dish 500 and so on. maybe you should click on the link i previously posted to see if that helps. the cable would be a RG6 cable made for outside. don't go cheap on the cable either :)

I have a dish 500 and the receiver is a 311, if that helps.

ok so the only thing you need to do is go to the lnb attatched to your dish. disconnect the cable that goes to the room you no longer need a feed to and run a new connection to your upstairs room from the lnb. look at everything carefully so you can do a neat job. you don't want the cable to hang down from everywhere.

Ok, that doesn't sound so bad although, and I'm gonna sound like the newbie I am here, what is a lnb?

So I just disconnect the entire cable that runs from the dish to the receiver, move the receiver where I want it, and run a brand new cable from the dish to the new location?

Also, where can I purchase RG6 cable? Is that something I can get at a local Walmart, Kmart, Home Depot sort of thing?

Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it!!

LNB is the piece on the end of the dish but.....

if installed properly to begin with it should be cabled with a dual line or two from LNB to a ground block then onto your receiver locations

Depending on the location of porch and new room, I would either hook to the cable on porch and go from there to the new room or trace it back to the ground block and unhook the porch line at the ground block and reconnect the new line at the ground block and run it from there.

LNB is the piece on the end of the dish but.....

if installed properly to begin with it should be cabled with a dual line or two from LNB to a ground block then onto your receiver locations

Depending on the location of porch and new room, I would either hook to the cable on porch and go from there to the new room or trace it back to the ground block and unhook the porch line at the ground block and reconnect the new line at the ground block and run it from there.

what he said and you can buy the cable at radioshack,best buy and so on. it would be cheaper online like let's say ebay. you'll over pay at those other places.

Doesn't sound like he's gonna need too long of a cable. If both locations are on the same side of the house, I'd keep this real simple and just disconnect the cable from the back of the receiver on the porch, run a cable from the porch to the room where you want to put the receiver, use a barrel connector to connect the new cable to the old cable down on the porch (a barrel connector is like a splice for cable, you can plug a cable into both ends of it).

Done!

This keeps his move real easy, he isn't messing with disconnecting cables from LNBs or ground block, and when the weather warms up he just disconnects the receiver upstairs and takes it back down to the porch, remove barrel connector, plug in the receiver... done.

Depending on the length of new cable he needs, this could be done easily and cheaply using premade from Home Depot or whatever home store is available cables and a barrel connector.

Just remember to use RG6 cable for this... not RG59. RG59 is for cable TV. RG6 is what you want for satellite.

Wow, ok, using the barrel connector sounds pretty easy. Can I get a barrel connector at the same places that sell the RG6 cable?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts