moving DR 12-100 receiver from SWM to 3 lnb 18 x 20 antenna

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tucsonite1

Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
tucson
i have a direct HD swm antenna with one HD receiver and one DR 12-100 receiver. i want to take the DR 12 to a mountain cabin occasionally. the KT-1 antenna (3 lnb 19 x 20) is not aimed at the satellites. i cannot change the setup from SWM to 18 x 20 dish. if i disconnect the SWM and connect the KT-1, i have to do a red button reset to proceed. the receiver tries to come up but sticks on "searching for satellite". do i need to do a Restart Receiver, a reset defaults or reset everything before i hook up the KT-1? if you have the answer, please include detailed instructions as i am no expert at this. Thanks

If I'm understanding you right-

Do you have the dish pointed properly? Did you look up the azimuth and elevation for the cabin house? Also you need to call DTV and do a temporary address change.

If you are trying to get signal at both locations simultaneously you would need two separate accounts.

If you switch back and forth you need to call in and change your primary address each time a switch is made.

after i do the red button reset, the receiver hangs with "searching for satellite". when i check the voltage at the receiver antenna jack, i have 0 volts. i should have between 12 and 18 volts. i need to get the receiver set to "multiswith" and dish type to 3 lnb 18 X20, then i can get voltage to the 18 x 20 dish. do i need to go to system setup while hooked to the SWM and do a "restart receiver" or "reset defaults" or "reset everything". if i power the receiver down, unhook the cable to the SWM and hook it to the KT1, then go to system setup, and do one of the resets, does that take me to where i want to go? the cabin has had a Direstv DR 10 on the KT 1 antenna by the past owner and it worked o.k. yes, i plan to do a temp. address change when i get this thing working. thanks for the info.

Connect to the dish. Go into sat setup. Set to "multiswitch". Then the dish options should become available.

OSD771 said:
If I'm understanding you right-

Do you have the dish pointed properly? Did you look up the azimuth and elevation for the cabin house? Also you need to call DTV and do a temporary address change.

If you are trying to get signal at both locations simultaneously you would need two separate accounts.

If you switch back and forth you need to call in and change your primary address each time a switch is made.

The only reason he would need to call is to get the locals in that area. You can take a reciever from California to New York and hook it up to a dish and it will work. It's all the same signal. As for the issue at hand make sure you switch it from SWM to multiswitch like said already or you won't get anywhere

It should NOT work!

The SWM LNB is constructed to "see" the SD signal from the sat at 101 degrees and at the same time "see" the sats at 99 and 103 degrees....approx four degrees on wither side. The single wire is to connect to the splitters.

IF that 3 horn LNB is constructed to "see" the sats at 101 degrees lat and the sats at 110 & 119 you will not receive HD feed...ever.

If someone could check the model numbers you listed....it has been awhile for me and I don't have the texts nearby..........if you are playing with an old Phase III forget it, no chance. If you have newer Ka/Ku stuff you will still have to figure a way to connect dissimilar components...............Directv may be many things to different people but their sat engineering is pretty good.

Why you doin all this?

Joe

Joe Diamond said:
It should NOT work!

The SWM LNB is constructed to "see" the SD signal from the sat at 101 degrees and at the same time "see" the sats at 99 and 103 degrees....approx four degrees on wither side. The single wire is to connect to the splitters.

IF that 3 horn LNB is constructed to "see" the sats at 101 degrees lat and the sats at 110 & 119 you will not receive HD feed...ever.

If someone could check the model numbers you listed....it has been awhile for me and I don't have the texts nearby..........if you are playing with an old Phase III forget it, no chance. If you have newer Ka/Ku stuff you will still have to figure a way to connect dissimilar components...............Directv may be many things to different people but their sat engineering is pretty good.

Why you doin all this?

Joe

It will work, he's not saying he wants HD he just wants to watch SD. Both pick up the 101 which is where the SD is at. Just because a receiver is set SWM doesn't mean you can't switch it back and forth. He should have no issues as long as he goes through the repeat satellite setup menu and selects either 18X20 or 18 round with switch type as multiswitch.

Yes,

You are correct. He will get SD. The 101 is common to all but anything having to do with HD is not coming from the 110 or 119 positions.............Can you comment on the dish models?
Also.....the "searching for satellite signal" is probably a tuning error. The older eq was centered on the 110 so you have to move nine degrees east / left for the 101 line (az). The Ka/Ku and the SWM line up on the 101 so you tune az to those published directions.

Joe

i just want to take the receiver up to the mountains occasionally to watch standard tv. how do i get to the "repeat satellite setup"?. i have looked all over the menu and i can't find any way to change dish types. i think i may have to do a 'reset everything" and go from there.

Click menu-parental favs and setup- system setup- satellite- repeat sat setup- click dash- then chose your dish type.

i have bad eyesight or Alzheimers one. i have looked at "restart Satellite setup" a hundred times but i found out this morning it does not help me with my problem. i can do a "restart satellite setup", change to "multiswitch" and "3 lnd 18 x 20" dish then the receiver want to connect to the satellites and my other antenna is 200 miles to the north of me. if i halt the setup, it reverts to the SWM antenna and i lose the 12 volts out to the 18 x 20 antenna. it looks like the only thing to do is to "reset everything" and then when i get to the cabin, hook up to the 18 x 20 antenna and do an install. i have never did a "reset everything" and reinstalled, is that a big problem. either i do that or just forget the receiver move and just aggrevate the bears instead of tv.

You don't want to do the "repeat satellite setup" until you are actually connected to the 18x20 dish at the cabin. Connect your receiver to the 18x20 dish, plug it in power it on and it will boot up and go to searching for satellite. Since it is not hooked up at your home, it won't find your SWM dish. You have to let this step fail before it will let you even enter the setup menu. Once it fails (takes several minutes) it usually goes into the screensaver. You then press menu, and get two options " signal strength, and repeat satellite setup" select repeat satellite setup change to 3lnb 18x20 and Multiswitch, then hit continue. If your dish at the cabin is pointed correctly it will verify you settings, and start downloading the guide. once guide is downloaded you should be good to go.

IF
the KT-1 antenna (3 lnb 19 x 20) is not aimed at the satellites
you will want to go to view satellite strength, and then go to signal meter's to help you point the dish at 101°, 119° & 110°. Once you have good signal strength, you can exit back to the dish setup and hit continue. It will verify you settings, and start downloading the guide. once guide is downloaded you should be good to go.

You will need to repeat this process when you bring the box back home.

Last edited:
i located a guy here in Tucson that had all the answers, he gave me step by step instructions and it worked. thanks for all the answers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)