Moving Fees for Hurricane Sandy Victim! Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kirb410

Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
New York
Hi!

I am a "new" DirecTV subscriber.. signed up in September. By all accounts I have absolutely loved it! Recently due to Hurricane Sandy, everybody in my apartment building is being told to leave due to basement damage. I have found a new apartment and would like to move DirecTV with me. I called to scheduled the move, and since I am a new subscriber it'll cost me $230 to have it installed again. With everything that happened, I cannot by far afford this cost but really want to continue my service. I have been on the phone with DirecTV all last night trying to get them to waive the fee so that I can keep service (completely planning on staying with them for years if they waived the service fee) but they wont budge. I was offered a full buy out by Cablevision and free installation since im a hurricane victim. Any reason why, DirecTV...#1 in Customer Service, will not help! I got so frustrated last night that I decided to cancel the service starting 12 days from now. I am in last ditch mode for any suggestions??

Nobody!??

Don't know what to say, except I hate you're having this problem and wish the best for you. From what I have seen D* can be intransigent when it comes to issues like these. They pretty much toe the line. Good luck no matter what. Maybe someone who knows how to "work" the system can advise you.

Unfortunately I have never seen DIRECTV show compassion in these type of events. They are a company whos goal is to make money and by going out and moving your stuff costs them money, not only for the time, plus the equipment. Maybe you can claim in on your insurance, since its an expense related to the storm?

Thanks for the response! :) I may just keep calling and try different representatives. I love the service, and hate my alternative

Thanks for the response! :) I may just keep calling and try different representatives. I love the service, and hate my alternative

Try the Retention dept.
Explain the situation, see if that helps, you probably got the lower level CSR's originally.

Insurance is always a possibility.

Try the Retention dept.
Explain the situation, see if that helps, you probably got the lower level CSR's originally.

Insurance is always a possibility.

I would start here as well. When you call just say cancel at the prompts and it will get you to the right department. Don't mention anything to them about canceling once they answer. Just explaine your situation and see what they can do.

I too suggest that you talk with someone in retention. When you call and you're asked why you are calling say "cancel" and say it again until you get someone in retention. An earlier poster suggested an insurance claim, but as there isn't a direct physical loss to property, insurance will not pay for incurred fees. Good luck and make sure you come back here and let us know how you make out.

I too suggest that you talk with someone in retention. When you call and you're asked why you are calling say "cancel" and say it again until you get someone in retention. An earlier poster suggested an insurance claim, but as there isn't a direct physical loss to property, insurance will not pay for incurred fees. Good luck and make sure you come back here and let us know how you make out.

Adam I know a few people who have been forced out of their appartments and their renters insurance covered the cost of the DISH move as well as other moving expenses due to the nature of them being forced from where they live. Not sure if it was a special "renters insurance" policy or what but a few have mentioned they have been able to do it over the years.

Probably because he just subscribed in September. Isn't there a time requirement for the mover's deal?

I think Harshness mentioned that there is a minimum time you have to have service before using the "Movers" plan, but you would think that the company would waive it if you've been in the hurricane area .

When I worked at D* recovery from hurricanes like this never cost people anything, this must be due to some gray area with having to move. I'd just keep escalating, talk to retention, etc like those above have said.

I think Harshness mentioned that there is a minimum time you have to have service before using the "Movers" plan, but you would think that the company would waive it if you've been in the hurricane area .
More to the point:
DIRECTV Mover's T&Cs said:
Offer available once in any 12 month period for qualifying customers only. Qualifications based on tenure, package level, payment history and other factors.
You'll note that compassion is not part of the conditions but "other factors" may represent an out.

One of the more popular and successful "other factors" has been the state's Attorney General's office and, in rare cases, the BBB.

Home insurance would have been the correct solution to this problem.

If they do refuse to budge, you should be able to find a local installer who will do it for far less than $230. I'd say in the $100 to $150 range. You would need to bring your dish with you. Try http://www.ftainstall.com/.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts