"moving" for locals

julesism

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Little Rock
Long time no see :) After several years using Cable and/or IPTV, I'm back on the Dish for TV. Before I ask my question, is discussing "moving" for locals frowned on or can I proceed?

From Dish's viewpoint, frowned upon. They have a whole team to track down movers.

........They have a whole team to track down movers.

Never in my time here (which is the existence of this site) have I seen or heard that. With spotbeams and so little CONUS locals it makes little difference anymore. I basic terms, the trick is to "move" to a spotbeam that you can still get, like a neighboring city, AND for it to be on the same ARC you are on.

Reactions: julesism
Ok. I've got a 1000.4 EA dish with 77, 72, and 61.5. I get a low but lockable signal (> 10) on spotbeam 15 transponders 24 and 32 in the evening on 61.5 which house the locals for DFW. At all other times the signal is there but it's lower (< 10) and not lockable. I want to try and improve the signal and I'm trying to decide the best route:

1) I have an old Dish 500 with a DPP Twin on hand but I'm wondering if that's going to be much if any improvement vs. the existing 1000.4 EA dish already in use
2) I might go for 2nd 1000.2 or 1000.4 and put a single (or the DPP twin from above) LNB and aim for 61.5
3) I could go for a larger, say 90cm dish for the task which I bet would def. help, just not sure if I want/need this big of a dish to get the job done.
4) ditching the current 77-72-61 LNB and trying a 72-61

I'm not looking for much of an improvement, just enough to get me a low but lockable signal 24/7 except when it's raining. I'm feeling good about the existing dish I'm using. I've tried to improve the strength but I'm about as good as it's going to get on this spotbeam. I can post signals for other conus TP's if need be but they all seem fine and are much higher. Thanks in advance :)

You certainly have a good handle on the situation regarding your choices. I don't know that the newer 72/61.5 would be appreciably better than the 72/61/77 you have. Did you try peaking only to 61.5 with it ignoring the strength of the other two? If that did not help I'm not sure a separate dish for 61.5 only would.
Likely a larger dish would capture more signal. There are others with a little more knowledge of just how much more signal you can get with various dishes hopefully one of them will post.

Reactions: julesism
If I stuck a 61+72 LNB on the existing dish, I wonder if I'd get more signal since I'd be aiming for 2 sats instead of 3. In my mind, more real estate on the pan might mean more signal :) It would probably be the cheapest and cleanest solution, keeping me on a single dish. I've peaked 61.5 about the best I can without degrading 72 and 77. I did not try aiming for 61.5 using the middle LNB but I might try that just to see if the signal goes up.

Reactions: Tampa8
Definitely try that, and you don't need 77 in any case so forget about aiming at all for that. If aiming just at 61.5 works it gives an idea of what to do next. (Try the two Sat Dish or two separate dishes one for 61.5 and one for 72)

Back when i was installing dish i had a very wierd experience that might be of use to others. i was installing for a friend who insisted on helping. he really wasnt making things better.....

anyhow with a low signal i stepped near the dish and the signal level increased. it was repeatable

it appeared the sat signal was relecting off my body

one could try using some sheet metal a couple feet from the dish to use a reflector

i was interested in this wierdness, but ended up putting up dedicated larger dishes, at 100% signal strength it didnt matter

Nonsense. I move many times per year and DISH knows about it every time I do. In fact, they're very helpful with it.
Yes I move about 40 times a year but then again as an RVer, I am covered under the satellite law. Dish transferred the people who used to be on the RV only support staff to tracking down movers as the Broadcasters harass Dish over allowing it.

Yes I move about 40 times a year but then again as an RVer, I am covered under the satellite law. Dish transferred the people who used to be on the RV only support staff to tracking down movers as the Broadcasters harass Dish over allowing it.

So, you are doubling down on this? You're spewing nonsense. I have changed my service address almost as often as you. DISH has never asked, nor have I ever told them I'm an rv'er. This special tracking team has never contacted me or anyone else that I've ever heard of. No one at DISH has ever questioned my right to change service address, neither on the phone or in chat session (where I usually accomplish it).

I looked at spotbeam footprint maps on satbeams.com. For me, and assuming it's accurate, SB15 on 61.5 > SB41 on 129 > SB21 on 110. Since 61.5 has the strongest signal, that's what I'm going for. I've got trees blocking my view of WA. I could move the dish for WA but it looks like 61.5 is my best bet.

Reactions: Tampa8
So, you are doubling down on this? You're spewing nonsense. I have changed my service address almost as often as you. DISH has never asked, nor have I ever told them I'm an rv'er. This special tracking team has never contacted me or anyone else that I've ever heard of. No one at DISH has ever questioned my right to change service address, neither on the phone or in chat session (where I usually accomplish it).
This is the president of the DISH moving investigations unit. We will be turning off your service in 3 2 1. :lever :biggrin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)