Moving From 1H/2J to 2H/1J Tomorrow - Sorry For The Newb Questions

EasyEEE

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Mobile, AL
I tried to read through the forum, and the HIC, TAP, DUO, etc confuses me. Had 1H/2J with Sling installed a week ago. Quickly realized 1H wasn't going to cut it.

They should be installed 2nd Hopper tomorrow, and taking away one of the Joeys.

My wife gets the 1 Hopper to her lonesome. I will have the new Hopper, and my son will have the Joey.

Right now, there is an Cat5 cable running from my router (wireless N dual-band) in my bedroom to the 1 Hopper on the other side of the wall. I can leave it like that (if that's recommended).

The 2nd Hopper will be in my bedroom, about 3 feet from the router, and can be plugged in if need be.

The Joey is on the far side of the house, and I currently have no plans to run Cat5 cable down there, BUT, I do have the means to use a Wireless N dual-band WiFi extender that has 4 ports, and could place that so the Joey could receive "hard wired" (albeit via WiFi) Cat5 cable.

Obviously, I want the best setup for max utilization. So, when tech calls tomorrow, curious if I should quiz him on what equipment he has.

Thanks.

I tried to read through the forum, and the HIC, TAP, DUO, etc confuses me. Had 1H/2J with Sling installed a week ago. Quickly realized 1H wasn't going to cut it.

They should be installed 2nd Hopper tomorrow, and taking away one of the Joeys.

My wife gets the 1 Hopper to her lonesome. I will have the new Hopper, and my son will have the Joey.

Right now, there is an Cat5 cable running from my router (wireless N dual-band) in my bedroom to the 1 Hopper on the other side of the wall. I can leave it like that (if that's recommended).

The 2nd Hopper will be in my bedroom, about 3 feet from the router, and can be plugged in if need be.

The Joey is on the far side of the house, and I currently have no plans to run Cat5 cable down there, BUT, I do have the means to use a Wireless N dual-band WiFi extender that has 4 ports, and could place that so the Joey could receive "hard wired" (albeit via WiFi) Cat5 cable.

Obviously, I want the best setup for max utilization. So, when tech calls tomorrow, curious if I should quiz him on what equipment he has.

Thanks.

Hooking each device individually as discussed above will work, but for now I would insist on a HIC. Everything will "just work" with the least fuss.

The HIC (and tap if needed) should be included for no charge while the tech is there. Get it while you can. If you want to eliminate it later, you still have the option - nothing is stopping you. If you try to get the HIC later, you may be charged for it.

I just finished up doing the exact same thing as you are planning, for the exact same reason.
You will like two Hoppers much better than one, and it will bring peace back to your abode.

Here's a link to part of my experience.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/281953-installer-just-left-somethings-not-right.html#post2834401

The one thing I would insist on is them connecting a HIC.
Don't let them tell you you don't need one, you do.

All they need to do is put a TAP next to your new Hopper and connect it to the HIC and The Hopper.
Doing it this way, the Joey will have full access to Home Media and the Internet.
Without it, it will have Internet only.

Even if you don't use Home Media yet, someday you probably will and having a HIC will make using one much easier for you.

probably true. you may have to talk the installer into it, becuase at this point installers don't seem to realize a hic is needed. the training on this equipment was very limited. techs are told to use the simplest and quickest method to connect. however, i dont think dish even knows yet that the hoppers are having internet connectivity problems. as an installer i was told by my supervisors not to use a hic because it is unnessecary and time consuming to install if a joey is not going in the same room.
my latest theory is this : since i have just been informed that 1/2 of the 2 terrabyte hard drive is used for on demand and pay per view...no wonder the interet doesnt function right away. the damn thing is busy downloading 1000 gigs of movies you dont want.

What were they thinking??

Yes, it seems quite insane for 1/2 of the Hopper's storage to be either used for recording PTA, or not used at all.
For the life of me, I cannot figure out what they were thinking.

They should have set it to be used for either/or, not "Use it or Lose it!"
I'll never accept the excuse that they couldn't figure out how to make it work both ways...they have to be better firmware programmers than that. (right??...maybe not)

On the plus side, I will say that once you get the EHD working, it works pretty well.
At least someone was being rational when they decided to let us use an EHD without billing us to do so.

Now if they could only get the rest of its features to work without constantly rebooting the thing.
What good is the Sling Adapter when someone has to be home to reset the Network every time you want to use it?

All they need to do is put a TAP next to your new Hopper and connect it to the HIC and The Hopper.
Doing it this way, the Joey will have full access to Home Media and the Internet.
Without it, it will have Internet only.

Even if you don't use Home Media yet, someday you probably will and having a HIC will make using one much easier for you.

Ok. He's here. Initially told me I didn't need it, but I explained, he called boss, and boss said hook it up - though neither had done before. Very nice guy.

So, he's out working the lines, and I'm left to figure out the HIC. The install guide isn't very good. The 2H/5J diagram leads me to believe the HIC should connect to a Joey directly - is this because there we're spots left on the Duo Node?? Does it not need to? We're doing a hybrid of the 1H/1J diagram and the 2H/5J ...

He's setting up the Duo Node, and I think the plan is to run Coax from the Duo Node to each of the 2 Hoppers and the Joey, and one to the HIC - or use current line to new Hopper and use TAP.. from TAP one to the HIC (client) and one to Hopper (Host)...?

Sound right?

Powering up question - HOPPER first, then connect the HIC after Hopper is all powered and updates downloaded etc?

And if using HIC, should I NOT have any ethernet cables plugged directly into the HOPPER? Think I read that could confuse the system..

Awesome. Kind of all makes sense now that I see the diagram, know what a tap is (splitter of some sort), etc.

And it doesn't really matter if he drops new coax for the HIC or TAP is fine.. would think direct is preferred, but, shrug.

Thanks for the kind support everyone. :)

I know there is a link to this on this site, but I can't locate it so here is a link to the same PDF from the net.
http://gwdish.com/Hopper-Joey.pdf

Mine's connected just like on Page #13

It goes:

The Hopper's "TO NODE" goes in to the TAP's "TO HOST"

The TAP's "TO CLIENT" goes to the HIC's "HOME VIDEO NETWORK"

The TAP's "TO NODE" goes to the node (outside the house, in my case)

The HIC's ""PASSTHROUGH" is unconnected.

The HIC's "ETHERNET" is connected to a port on my Internet Router, setup as a DHCP server.

huh. i wanted to look a it, but it takes me to a file missing page. oh my mistake, have to click throught to get there.