Moving from 311 to 722K

MightyManZ

Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
US
I used to have a 311 receiver. I received signal from 3 satellites 119, 110 (Dish500), and 61.5(Dish300) I also have a switch DP21.
Now I have purchased a 722k receiver (w/ my own money) mainly for DVR purposes (and future HD, I don't have a HDTV, but I am planning on getting it sometime) Of course I did not do enough research and I ran into a problem.

The 722 came with a separator for 2 tuners, I plugged in the one cable from the switch, ran check switch and nothing..... Now I removed the separator and I'm only connected to tuner 1. I'm getting the channels, but I can't use TV2 feature and my receiver looses the signal quite often.

I would like to know how can I correct this problem by myself. Can I get a different switch (dp34) change the LNBs)
For the time being I would like to keep my setup and keep expenses at a minimum. I am no longer under contract and I would like to stay that way for the time being. I may be getting a new place so I figure they can install the new system there totally free of charge.

Any help, will be greatly appreciated!

With the setup LNB wise you have you would need a DP34 switch and run 2 lines to the receiver

Or the other option is a DishProPlus TWIN...replace it on the D500 and run the cable from the 61.5 dish to the input on the LNB (yes the DPP Twin has an input). Then you can use the separator that came with the 722 to run one line to 2 tuners

Dish 300 LNB output to
Dish 500 LNB input
DIsh 500 LNB output------------------------separator port 1---tuner 1
---------------------------------------------separator port 2---tuner 2

Yet a third option is the DPP33 switch. This avoids running two cables to your 722 as needed with a DP34. For either the DP34 or DPP33, you would run 3 cables to the switch: two cables from the twin LNB and 1 from the single/dual LNB.

Thank You for your input.

Since my dish 500 and 300 are in different locations (because of tree cover) I do not prefer to change the LNB toDishProPlus and attach the 61.5 cable there.

Just so I am clear, if I purchase the DP34 switch,
Input 1: cable from sat. 119 and 110
Input 2: cable from sat 61.5

then as output to receiver:
Output 1: tuner 1
Output 2: tuner 2

Also, I read that people sometimes add a power adapter, would I need anything like that to improve signal strength?

Once again, thank you all for the help I received!!!

You need to run two cables from your DP twin for 110/119 to the DP34 or DPP33, and one cable from your dual for 61.5. Note that you only need one cable from a DPP33 to dual-tuner receivers such as the 722. Neither switch needs a power injector.

You need to run two cables from your DP twin for 110/119 to the DP34 or DPP33, and one cable from your dual for 61.5. Note that you only need one cable from a DPP33 to dual-tuner receivers such as the 722. Neither switch needs a power injector.

Why would I have to run two cables from 110/119? Right now I am only running 1 cable and it seems to work. What could be some of my other options? I really do not want to run another cable. Please explain further.

because the 722 has two tuners you need 2 cables from the Twin LNB to the switch or receiver. The 311 is a single tuner

We've given you 4 options already.....
-DP34 and 2 lines to receiver...you still need 2 lines from LNB to switch
-DP33 and one line to receiver with separator (2 lines from Twin LNB)
-DP44+ (see DP33)
-Swap out Twin LNB for DPPTwin and use input for 61.5 dish

The last one is the ONLY way you can get one cable from the LNB to the receiver

or just replace your existing 2 dish set-up with either a 1000.2 or a 1000.4 (depends where you live) and be all set for hd when you get it.
for not much more then the price of the switch you can have the correct set-up and not be on a mixed arc.

GL

Thank You all for your input! I just wish I had done some reading about this before jumping on the 722. (I thought it was going to be plug-and-play)

I think I will Swap out Twin LNB for DPPTwin and use input for 61.5 dish. Once I get the parts and set everything up, I'll let you know how it turned out.

Once again, thanks

Hello,

It took me a while but I ended up getting a DP34 switch, and I ran a second cable from the twin LNB.

Unfortunately, my setup still doesn't work. On the DP34 I have 3 inputs (110, 61.5, 119) and then outputs 1 and 2. When I connect output 1 and 2 to the receiver's tuner 1 and 2 and I run "check switch" the results are:
Sat Input 1: 110, 61.5, 119 All OK green, with a device: DP34
Sat Input 2: 110 (OK green) and then that is it. It doesn't state any other satellites or devices?

I swapped the cables, so I know that it is not the cable's fault. Is it the switch? Is it common for switches to send through Satellite 1 input and not send satellite 2 input?
I don't think its the Receiver's fault. I took it to my friend who has a 722 and I swapped it and it worked fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

how long are the stingers since you have to make them longer on 34 switches. Plus I dont believe if you call in for a service call you have to sign up for a contract. They will either want 95 dollars for a tech to come out or 15 if you are paying for a service plan which I doubt you have

I would like to thank everyone who contributed and helped me out. I have learned a lot from my experience and I am glad to say that everything is working flawlessly. I just switched the cable to Output 4 on the switch and then it worked.
Thank You All!