Moving From 811 to 921

gpflepsen

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
SE NE
I'm making the jump from the 811 to the 921. I'm sure most are aware of the 811 and it's everyday operating idiosyncrasies. The 921 has it's share too.

Can you compare how they relate in their "user friendly operation", that is which one is more of a pain and why?

The price is too good to pass up. They said I'd get 6 months free HD pack. That coupled with the sale of both my 811 and 721 will lower my total out of pocket cost to less than $100.

Hey Gerry, how much are 811's going for these days used? Looks like D* is not going to drop the cost of their HR10-250 any time in the near future so I might think about getting a 921 also. How fast does the 921 "surf" regarding sat. channels? - Art

gpflepsen said:
I'm making the jump from the 811 to the 921. I'm sure most are aware of the 811 and it's everyday operating idiosyncrasies. The 921 has it's share too.

Can you compare how they relate in their "user friendly operation", that is which one is more of a pain and why?

The price is too good to pass up. They said I'd get 6 months free HD pack. That coupled with the sale of both my 811 and 721 will lower my total out of pocket cost to less than $100.

Hmmmm 6 months free? why would you get 6 months free? Do you not have the HD Pack? I am also thinking about moving my 721 to a 921, but have not jumped yet.

WeeJavaDude said:
Hmmmm 6 months free? why would you get 6 months free? Do you not have the HD Pack? I am also thinking about moving my 721 to a 921, but have not jumped yet.

I was told the 6 month free HD. I asked even though I am already getting HD. He said yes.

don_riggins said:
Existing customers will get 6 months half off, not free.

That's something new. At first I heard it was nothing. Then just today I was told it was free, even after double checking. Now you say it's 1/2 off. What to believe???

I guess it's par for the E* course.

I have no clue what you folks be talking bout... Never heard of exisiting customers getting HD pak discounts.

bavaria72 said:
Hey Gerry, how much are 811's going for these days used? Looks like D* is not going to drop the cost of their HR10-250 any time in the near future so I might think about getting a 921 also. How fast does the 921 "surf" regarding sat. channels? - Art
It surfs about as fast as the 6000u if you have had one of them..

dfergie said:
Skipped the 811, have 6000u and 921 so do not really know...(was leaning towards a D* Hughes HD box when the 921 deal came about)...

Does the 921 accept IR or just UHF? I have a Pronto Pro that I use for all my equipment, including the 811. If I decide to get a 921, I'd prefer to be able to use my Pronto Pro remote with it. Thanks!

I just switched from the 811 to the 921. I also own the 721. I find the 921 far less problematic than the 811. Granted it's only been a week. The 921 feels a lot like the 721. Basically the same interface.

Dave

I just sold my 811, and had planned on selling my 721. I don't think I can bring myself to sell it. I like it too much.

I had planned to sell both my 811 and 721. The 921 should be here Wednesday. :fingers crossed:

gpflepsen said:
I just sold my 811, and had planned on selling my 721. I don't think I can bring myself to sell it. I like it too much.

I had planned to sell both my 811 and 721. The 921 should be here Wednesday. :fingers crossed:

I am thinking about making a similar move Gary. May I ask how you went about it in terms of ordering? I have heard some rumors about Dish now selling these units, but I am not sure if that would include any necessary equipement. Guess the point is I am not sure what my buying options are. Since you walked the path figured you might have some insight. Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

I priced my local dealer first. They wouldn't match the $549 adv price.

Dish didn't have any avenue for me (I called on the 23rd).

I ordered from vssll.com

Every penny counted on this one. It was there where I got the best deal.