Moving from Direct TV

dnhawley

Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
I am considering moving from Direct TV to Dish mostly because of international channels. I have the full Direct TV whole home set up and am wondering if Dish can use the existing wiring. I also need to know if Dish still requires a special dish for international channels. I would appreciate any help you folks could offer.

I am considering moving from Direct TV to Dish mostly because of international channels. I have the full Direct TV whole home set up and am wondering if Dish can use the existing wiring. I also need to know if Dish still requires a special dish for international channels. I would appreciate any help you folks could offer.
Directv should be RG6 with solid copper center conductor, but they don't require 3Ghz for their cable. It should work though. Yes DISH requires a 500 PLUS or a 1000 PLUS and the Western Arc for international channels, the 1000 has the LNB for HD.

Yes dish can usually use your existing cable, no guarantees. But my question is, unless its the cabling that was installed during building of your property, why wouldn't some one want new cable installed at no cost to you?

if you like sports and ESPN you might want to wait a bit to see how that plays out.I waited last year till they resolved with Big Ten Network to sign up. If not sign up now. I love it!

Thanks for you help. I still need to know if the international channels require a separate dish and can dish use direct TVs mounting tripod.

Thanks for you help. I still need to know if the international channels require a separate dish and can dish use direct TVs mounting tripod.
Dish has two different "arcs". The western arc is 110/119/129. The eastern arc is 61.5/72.7/77. Internationals are on 118.7. Dish has a LNB for the western arc the 1000+ that incorporates 118.7. If you are on the eastern arc and want internationals, you would need a separate dish to receive 118.7.