Moving from Mountain Time to Central

vtjman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 30, 2007
ABQ
Ok I have reviewed all the threads on moving, but I couldn't find a clear answer. I am in the mountain time zone and am thinking of moving to Chicago. This way the DVR would only be off 1 hour instead of 2 if I moved to a east coast city.

My main concern is that since Chicago doesn't have the local CW HD on 110 I will need to rely on my OTA antenna to pull in CW HD. Now lets say I wanted to record Reaper on Tuesday at 7pm MST. Since the DVR is on CST, 7pm on the DVR would actually be 6 pm here. Would the DVR try to record Reaper on my local CW HD OTA at 6pm MST thinking it was actually 7pm? (and thereby record the wrong thing) Or would it be smart enough to know that my locals OTA are in MST and to adjust accordingly? Seems to me it wouldn't be that smart, but I haven't seen anybody else mention this potential problem.

Anyone from either the Mountain time zone, or the Pacific time zone move to either a Central time zone city or an Eastern time zone city, that has experience with this issue?

Ok so it seems that no one here has "moved" from Pacific to Mountain, or Mountain to Eastern, etc. Does anyone have any info on how the dish dvr 622/722 figures out what time zone a OTA local is in, to make the guide correct?

For instance, what about someone who lives right on the border of Mountain and Central time zone? How does the dish DVR deal with an OTA channel from the mountain time zone when the DVR is actually in the Central time zone?

Guide listings are standardized, probably to Eastern or UTC. Moving from one time zone to another just accomplishes the listing being off by one or more hours but still "correct" in relation to that time zone, which is (maybe) what you want.

Ok so if that is correct then if your DVR receiver is not in the timezone it thinks it is in, then this could "break" the listings for the OTA since it can't adjust accordingly?

The time in the guide will be correct for the actual program even though it will say the time for the timezone you move to. So a program that airs at 7pm mst will show in the guide as 8pm CST (exactly the same time UTC) All recordings set by the guide or dish pass will record when the program airs. If you set a manual recording YOU will need to adjust for the time difference.

Moving from one time zone to another will only work if the place you are "moving" to is on a national and not a spotbeam.

You can't just say I have a billing address in Denver and a service address in NYC and expect to get NYC HD locals...

Thank you rockymtnhigh for reminding me of that, I know most might jump into this without checking things out, however I have done my homework on this and know which cities have HD locals on CONUS, and that NYC HD locals are on 61.5, which is not reachable in the west.

n0qcu: I think you are correct if this was a move from Central to Eastern, since the network feed for Eastern and Central is the same, AKA Grey's Anatomy airs at 9pm EST/8pm CST. But Grey's Anatomy airs on a separate Mountain time zone network feed at 8pm MST (10pm EST), and it airs in the Pacific time zone at 9pm PST (12AM EST) (in most places) on the Pacific feed.

So if a DVR receiver thinks its is in the Central timezone but is actually in the Mountain timezone then its calculations from UTC will be off by one hour, and it will try to record a show one hour earlier than it is actually on OTA in the MST, I think unless I am missing something.

Ive moved before, trust me when I say if it's listed in the guide it will be correctly recorded.

n0qcu, did you move from the mountain time zone to central or eastern time zone?

The problem is that vtjman wants to record his local WB OTA.

From what I understand, you will be unlikely to get any guide data for this station if it is not your LIL. Since you are telling DISH that you live in Chicago, they probably will not authorize guide data for the local station. Further, I don't believe guide data is available for Albq, thus you will be doing manual timers for this station.

Disclaimer: I've never been in reach of OTA stations. Is this accurate?

Have you considered superstations as a less hassle alternative?

You will not get local guide data for recording, because local is somewhere else. All the channels are off and the times are off.

You will have to set manual timers for local recording except for the HD locals you get over satellite.

I believe it has been posted that as long as you pay for the locals and the locals you are trying to get guide data for are offered by Dish then it doesn't matter if you have "moved". So if you live in Denver and "move" to Kansas City, you will still get guide info for any Denver stations you receive OTA that Dish also provides guide data for. The time will be off so you may have to set a manual timer for OTA recordings, because as stated Mountain time zone has their own feed.

While I was "moved" to Kansas City, I got the local guide for Kansas City but nothing for my local stations received over the air..

OK...I moved the other way...central to mountain. I have all HD "locals" from Denver as well as my "local HD channels" from Nebraska that I can receive with an OTA antenna. All times in the program guide are 1 hour off from my local time, both local OTA and satellite. My local 6pm news shows up in the program guide at 5pm because it thinks im in denver. Everything records fine, absolutely no problems. I have no problems with any of my timers. hope that helps

so dschritt, since you say that your local news shows up as 5pm in the guide, doesn't that mean that if you wanted to record your local news that it would record some program at 5pm instead of the news that is actually on at 6pm?

It doesnt matter what "time" the guide shows for the "news" if the guide says news and you've set to record it, it will be recorded even if the guide says your 6 news is at 7. You are over complicating things. the dvr thinks the time is what the guide says it does NOT care what your local wall clock says. It will just work you have no need to worry.

It doesnt matter what "time" the guide shows for the "news" if the guide says news and you've set to record it, it will be recorded even if the guide says your 6 news is at 7...

Ok I was thinking about it in a different way, I was not concerned about what my wall clock says, I was concerned that the DVR guide would be wrong for OTA shows because from what I had read here, if guide data is in fact coded to UTC most likely, then the guide might be incorrect for the OTA channels since the internal addition or subtraction that has to take place for changing UTC to your timezone would be off if you were in a different time zone than the receiver thinks you are in.

BUT after finally drawing it out (yes my mind works better seeing things), I was able to see that it probably doesn't matter if the receiver thinks it is in CST when it is actually in MST, because either way your show is coded to UTC (aka Universal Time, which is what it exactly is, universal).

So now my only question is to dschritt: Just to be sure that I am now thinking correctly, do you record network (aka Prime Time network) shows OTA on the DVR, and do those shows get correctly recorded as your denver "locals" do over the satellite?

The problem is that vtjman wants to record his local WB OTA.

From what I understand, you will be unlikely to get any guide data for this station if it is not your LIL. Since you are telling DISH that you live in Chicago, they probably will not authorize guide data for the local station. Further, I don't believe guide data is available for Albq, thus you will be doing manual timers for this station.

Disclaimer: I've never been in reach of OTA stations. Is this accurate?
No, once you have locals, you will get guide data for ANY OTA stations you pull in, even those not in your market. The reason for this is that many of us can pull in more than 1 market OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts