"Moving" help for Newbie

bigjotto316

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Hey guys I am new here and just wanted to say thank you in advance for any help that I would recieve from you. I have a question on how "Moving" is done. I really dont know much about it but I would like to learn how I can get local HD channels through dish by "moving". I currently live in Erie PA and would like to recieve Cincinnati local channels if possible (to get all the Reds games). If I cannot do this I would prefer Cleveland locals second. I am pretty close to Cleveland only about 90 miles or so. What do I have to do in order to "Move" there in order to recieve their locals? Again thank you for any help.

Also, I did search the forum but couldnt really find too much usefull information to help me out. If you know of any posts that could help please feel free to point me there.

From what Ive read you might want to think twice on moving these days. Seems Dish is starting to do a lot of internal auditing on "movers"

People that have RV's change their locals all the time. I think you just call them up and tell them where you're camping and what locals you want. I've heard that sometimes the customer service rep that you talk to might not know how to do this so just hang up and call back until you get someone that does.

Here is what you do :

1. Do a google search for movie theathers in Cleavland Ohio and get a real address like 4800 North st. Cleavland, Ohio zipcode #. Add an apartment number to that address like #526 or any other number you like .

2. Run the address through the address broker on the dishnetwork website and see if you are eligible. If you are eligible and can receive them in a spotbeam of less than 100 miles or so , go to the tech chat on the dish website.

3. Sign in to the tech chat and tell the csr that you have already moved to the new service address and installed your sat dish and you are receiving all your national sat channels. You want to get the Cleavland locals instead of the ones you have now. Tell them that your billing address & phone number stays the same , just your service address is different.

4. The csr makes the change and you now have C. Ohio locals.

***Remember though that if you need to return a broken receiver to DISH that you will have to SPECIFY that they send the replacement receiver to your BILLING ADDRESS. If you want tech service , you will have to "move" back to your real address ,unless you use a local tech to fix your problem. I would also keep your new service address written down somewhere because DISH will ask for it at times , when you call in to talk to them.

Here is what you do :

1. Do a google search for movie theathers in Cleavland Ohio and get a real address like 4800 North st. Cleavland, Ohio zipcode #. Add an apartment number to that address like #526 or any other number you like .

2. Run the address through the address broker on the dishnetwork website and see if you are eligible. If you are eligible and can receive them in a spotbeam of less than 100 miles or so , go to the tech chat on the dish website.

3. Sign in to the tech chat and tell the csr that you have already moved to the new service address and installed your sat dish and you are receiving all your national sat channels. You want to get the Cleavland locals instead of the ones you have now. Tell them that your billing address & phone number stays the same , just your service address is different.

4. The csr makes the change and you now have C. Ohio locals.

***Remember though that if you need to return a broken receiver to DISH that you will have to SPECIFY that they send the replacement receiver to your BILLING ADDRESS. If you want tech service , you will have to "move" back to your real address ,unless you use a local tech to fix your problem. I would also keep your new service address written down somewhere because DISH will ask for it at times , when you call in to talk to them.

Thanks so much for all your help! Do you think that I would be able to do that, but with the Cincinnati locals instead of Cleveland? I would much rather have access to all the Reds games than Indians. Or do you think that I am too far from Cincinnati in Erie PA for that to work?

I really don't know for sure on your location , I just put Cleveland as the example city . I checked the echostarknowledge website and check which transponder and spotbeam the Cinncinatti city is on and it shows off of the 110 sat 23s /10. So this means check the 23 spotbeam on your dish receiver dishpoint menu and see what strength you are at. IF you live within the 100 miles from Cinncinatti you should be able to receive the city within the spotbeam. I live within 90 miles from Houston and I can receive that city's hd locals and sd locals. I get about a 55 strength on that transponder and spotbeam. When you change your locals will be listed in the 8000 range once the csr enables them. If all else fails you can move back to home or another address. Use the tech chat through the dish website and you won't have to talk to someone on the phone.

I would be able to get Detroit HD locals off the 61.5 satellite, but the SD locals are on 118.5 or something like that which I am not pointed to. Would they give me grief since I would only be able to receive the HD channels? I only watch the HD ones any way.

Chris

I know this may be a little off topic, but I was wondering this question...If I "move" from Boise, ID to Portland, OR will I still have the guide info for the ota local Boise channels even if I have the Portland locals set with Dish?

I really don't know for sure on your location , I just put Cleveland as the example city . I checked the echostarknowledge website and check which transponder and spotbeam the Cinncinatti city is on and it shows off of the 110 sat 23s /10. So this means check the 23 spotbeam on your dish receiver dishpoint menu and see what strength you are at. IF you live within the 100 miles from Cinncinatti you should be able to receive the city within the spotbeam. I live within 90 miles from Houston and I can receive that city's hd locals and sd locals. I get about a 55 strength on that transponder and spotbeam. When you change your locals will be listed in the 8000 range once the csr enables them. If all else fails you can move back to home or another address. Use the tech chat through the dish website and you won't have to talk to someone on the phone.

Im sorry but im totally new to this...How would I check the spotbeam? Would that be transponder? I checked satellite 110 and i get a 59 strength. when I put the transponder to 10 I get a 73 strength

op, last I checked Cinncy locals are on a spotbeam. If you can get TP 23 on 110w then you are in that spotbeam and you can move as afromentioned. In Erie, you are defenitly in the Cleveland spotbeam so that would work as well. One other thing you could do is move to Dayton which is on 129w and not on a spotbeam, although with Ciel 2 coming into play who knows how much longer that will be. In fact, with the shuffling that is coming with Ciel 2, I would just wait until April before you make any moves...

op, last I checked Cinncy locals are on a spotbeam. If you can get TP 23 on 110w then you are in that spotbeam and you can move as afromentioned. In Erie, you are defenitly in the Cleveland spotbeam so that would work as well. One other thing you could do is move to Dayton which is on 129w and not on a spotbeam, although with Ciel 2 coming into play who knows how much longer that will be. In fact, with the shuffling that is coming with Ciel 2, I would just wait until April before you make any moves...

Ok, I tried Satellite 110 with transponder 23 and I recieve no signal. Does this mean that I will not be able to get the Cincinnati Locals? About the Dayton move, would that area still technically put me in the Cincinnati viewing area?

That is exactly what it means. If you cant get a signal on that TP then you cant get the channels. Just checking the EKB it looks like 77w also has the Cincy locals so if you could get activated for Eastern Arc that would help you with your move (especially if you want the locals in HD).

As for Dayton, I am pretty sure they are part of the Reds DMA and that you would get FSN Ohio - Cincinnati edition by going there, hence giving you the Reds games. But like I said, with Ciel II all of the Conus locals are moving to spotbeam so we will have to see how it shapes out. I know someone on the site was positing what the projected spotbeam contours were going to be, so perhaps they can do so for the Ohio area.

Ok great, thanks so much for all your input you have really helped. Maybe I will "move" to the cleveland area for now (since I know for sure that I am in their spotbeam) to get the locals in HD, then in april I will maybe just "move" again to the Dayton area.

That is exactly what it means. If you cant get a signal on that TP then you cant get the channels. Just checking the EKB it looks like 77w also has the Cincy locals so if you could get activated for Eastern Arc that would help you with your move (especially if you want the locals in HD).

As for Dayton, I am pretty sure they are part of the Reds DMA and that you would get FSN Ohio - Cincinnati edition by going there, hence giving you the Reds games. But like I said, with Ciel II all of the Conus locals are moving to spotbeam so we will have to see how it shapes out. I know someone on the site was positing what the projected spotbeam contours were going to be, so perhaps they can do so for the Ohio area.

I can get a signal on satellite 119 West...What would be the correct transponder for the cincinnati locals for that one?

I am on Eastern Arc in Dayton, OH. I am looking to 'Move' as I don't currently get any locals or local EPG. Would you all concur that Charlston, WV would be my ideal choice? (Conus on 77, Fox HD, CBS HD, NBC HD, ABC HD, CW SD)

Is there any advantage/disadvantages in what address I borrow?

So if I am looking at the Cleveland OH area, It says that I need to "see" Echostar12 61.5W TP 01 area 4 beam for HD and Echostar 10 110W tp 31 spotbeam 09. Where can I find the footprint for these spotbeams and what is the radius of a spotbeam? Thanks