Moving House Concerns

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ferrino

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
CA
OK, so I've been a new D* customer since Feb-2009 and I really enjoy it (HD-DVR-PLUS service). However, I'm going to be moving to a new home soon and I am little concerned that the new owner may not permit a dish to be installed (assuming there is a line-of-sight to the satellite in the first place).

We haven't actually found a new home yet (it may be an apartment or a detached house) but I'd like to be prepared, since I am only 5 months into a 24-month contract and would therefore incur a large termination fee (and I really want to keep D* too!).

Say we found a really nice place and the owner refused a dish - would this be grounds for D* to waive early termination fee (ETF)? I think I once read that if you could not get a line-of-sight at the new place then they would waive the ETF? Not sure if that includes the scenario where there is no permission to install the dish in the first place.

Many thanks for any help - trying to avoid any massive charges!

A landlord cannot refuse to allow you to install a dish, but the landlord may specify how/where the dish is mounted and wiring run, as long as you can obtain line of sight and an adequate signal. Federal law requires this.

Of course, the landlord may make your life fairly miserable if you dont agree on how it all goes down. Might have been something good to mention to them before you agreed to the lease. And a very good thing to bring up with them now. Work it out with them...could be a positive if the dish mount is in a good spot thats permanent and doesnt cause any damage or maintenance issues with the home...future tenants can use the same dish/wiring or at least the mast/wiring for their satellite hookups.

Ferrino,
To add to cfb's info.

When your looking, if your headed to an apartment, look around and see if there are already dishes on the premise.
Make sure you have a southern exposure.
IF you get an apartment, IF your on a floor other than ground level, with a balcony, you can always mount it on the balcony ... another popular option is to have D* do a pole mount if your on the ground.

If you get a house, you've obviously got alot more options.
I would definatly talk to the landlord ahead of time.

Thanks guys! I was wondering though, in the worst-case scenario, whereby I cannot put a dish up, where do I stand with my D* contract? Is it purely at the CSRs discretion or are there rules in place for this scenario?

I think that if the landlord refused to let you mount a dish and you chose not to pursue it, that you'd have to pay the full cancellation fee. The only times I've heard that they waive it is if you move someplace that doesnt have any feasible line of sight and no options for receiving the signal exist.

What does your lease agreement say about it? Why not just call the landlord right now and resolve it without worrying about it needlessly?

Thanks guys. It looks like we have found a house and the owner is allowing us to put up a dish so long as we agree to remove it when we leave. Just hoping that the trees in the area won't get in the way!

Once the move-in date is set, I will call up the Movers Connection line. Is there anything I should be aware of? e.g. any hidden charges or contract renewals? We are not changing any of our hardware, we just want the dish to be installed.

AIUI, we just leave the existing dish in place and they will install the new one for free.

Cheers!

Thanks guys. It looks like we have found a house and the owner is allowing us to put up a dish so long as we agree to remove it when we leave. Just hoping that the trees in the area won't get in the way!

Once the move-in date is set, I will call up the Movers Connection line. Is there anything I should be aware of? e.g. any hidden charges or contract renewals? We are not changing any of our hardware, we just want the dish to be installed.

AIUI, we just leave the existing dish in place and they will install the new one for free.

Cheers!

You may find dishpointer.com helpful. Enter your new address and they will give you a sat view picture of the house with LOS )Line of Sight) for the dish.

There could be additional charges........the installer will tell you before he begins.

My other advice, as an installer, is ..........either get the TVs and DTV receivers into the building before moving day or DO NOT have the equipment installed on moving day. You will be busy enough dealing with the movers.

Joe

Using movers connection starts a new 2 year commitment.

Wow, that one slipped by me! Where can I find the small-print for that?

Alternatively, how much would it cost to get an installer to privately take down the old dish and set it up at the new house (assuming a typical/standard install)?

Thanks!

Also there is a 50$ fee to move if you have been a cust for less than 12months. and to put a surefire answer to your other question, if the install (movers connect) must be canceled while the tech is there due to land lord permission, you do indeed have to pay the ETF. If the tech closes the job as No LoS then your ETF is waived, but dont bother trying to bribe the tech, a supervisor will be double checking the area to verify no los, and the tech could get in alot of trouble if he does this for a customer, i almost lost my job for a 50$ tip :( On the bright side, if you pay to fly me to cali, ill install the system for you myself. :)

Also there is a 50$ fee to move if you have been a cust for less than 12months. and to put a surefire answer to your other question, if the install (movers connect) must be canceled while the tech is there due to land lord permission, you do indeed have to pay the ETF. If the tech closes the job as No LoS then your ETF is waived, but dont bother trying to bribe the tech, a supervisor will be double checking the area to verify no los, and the tech could get in alot of trouble if he does this for a customer, i almost lost my job for a 50$ tip :( On the bright side, if you pay to fly me to cali, ill install the system for you myself. :)

Gotta ask,

You an employee or contractor?

If a contractor the $50.00 is yours' and the supervisor needs...

NLOS is an opinion and a judgment.........how fast do trees grow?

Joe

Wow, that one slipped by me! Where can I find the small-print for that?

Alternatively, how much would it cost to get an installer to privately take down the old dish and set it up at the new house (assuming a typical/standard install)?

Thanks!

After the guy is done doing the move/reinstall, he'll have you sign a document saying that the work was completed satisfactorily. On the back of that document is the fine print that says you're also agreeing to a two year contract effective the date of the install.

It certainly reset my commitment, it was 2 years from when we moved in. When I upgraded to 2 receivers and the slimline dish, it was reset again to 2 years from that date.

You could pay someone to move it, but that might cost more than the early termination fee should you want to cancel. Oh, and your directv lease agreement says that you're not allowed to move the boxes to a different location.

Pah, $50 charge - didn't see that anywhere either!

Tempted to take down the old dish when I move and sell it to cover the charge! Out of interest, what happens to the old dish? Do D* get someone to collect it? I wonder if my current landlord would charge me to leave it on the roof...

"If a contractor the $50.00 is yours' and the supervisor needs..."

Im a contractor, but what does that have to do with anything? and what does the sup need?? anyway that 50$ is applied to the customers bill, the tech doesnt see any part of that, were paid by the box to install they whole system. And the old dish is yours, you can remove it if you like, just make sure to patch your roof. as far as nolos goes, its not really an opinion, you have it or you dont, if its close then its your call, but hsps are harsh, they could always just roll you back to the job.

"If a contractor the $50.00 is yours' and the supervisor needs..."

Im a contractor, but what does that have to do with anything? and what does the sup need?? anyway that 50$ is applied to the customers bill, the tech doesnt see any part of that, were paid by the box to install they whole system. And the old dish is yours, you can remove it if you like, just make sure to patch your roof. as far as nolos goes, its not really an opinion, you have it or you dont, if its close then its your call, but hsps are harsh, they could always just roll you back to the job.

I was referring to the $50.00 tip. Supervisors don't participate in tips. And if you paid for materials like a steel pole and concrete you get to charge for that.

Do you collect funds that are turned in to the HSP office?

As a contractor you must be able to walk away from a questionable installation. If, in your opinion, the line of sight will be blocked by trees you just say no. IF they penalize you in any way for this refusal...you are being treated as an employee.

There is a reason why many techs will not work for the HSP folks.

Joe

Tempted to take down the old dish when I move and sell it to cover the charge!

Used dish isnt worth much, unless its a slimline with a SWM lnb.

Out of interest, what happens to the old dish? Do D* get someone to collect it?
They're hoping the next guy to move in will say "oh look, theres already a directv dish up there, maybe I'll sign up with them because the hard part (the dish and wiring) is already done! Plus theres plenty of opportunity to leave a leak or marks in the siding or roof where the dish was if its removed...then thats directv's problem.

That having been said, when I canceled with dish network they wanted me to get up on the 3rd story roof and remove the lnb and send that back to them.

Thanks all - guess I will be coughing up $50 and starting the 24-month contract afresh...

Thanks all - guess I will be coughing up $50 and starting the 24-month contract afresh...

I just switched a couple weeks ago and I have only been a customer for about 7 mos.. If you get the right CSR and ask nicely, they will waive the $50.. they did for me anyway

I was also able to get a HD Reciever upgrade and 3 mos free Starz

Thanks for that - good point - if I'm going to start a new contract anyway, I might as well try and get a free/cheap extra receiver as we're thinking about getting a 2nd HDTV anyway. Is it realistic to hope for a 2nd HD-DVR for free? Or maybe just the non-DVR HD receiver?

I just switched a couple weeks ago and I have only been a customer for about 7 mos.. If you get the right CSR and ask nicely, they will waive the $50.. they did for me anyway

I was also able to get a HD Reciever upgrade and 3 mos free Starz

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)